mtbr member

Moosic Mountain Conservancy.

We've been doing some trail layouts up here in the last week. Mainly GPSing and some ribboning. Hubbard, NEPMTBA, and TNC have been involved in this project. Lee, Gene, Jenny and I have been busy marking and designing the trails. This will be quite a cool place to ride when it's all said and done.

Lee has been involved at Francis Slocum, Gene designed and laid out Merli, Jenny is with The Nature Conservancy, and I've done trails at Hubbard.

Anyway, I figured I'd update as to how the Northeast part of the state is coming along. I'll try to keep you guys updated as we move along! Back to trail layout, riding and rebuilding the bike I go. ttyl, Fahn

Ride da mOOn Moderator

We the people ... NEPMTBA/Nature Conservancy Moosic Mountain Project

Larry:

Myself being involved in the design, layout and beginning construction of the first two approved trails. NEPMTBA has our plan approved from Molly and Jenny. It is to begin trail work on Wednesday May 7th and our group will be there every Wednesday till work is completed or we are instructed by Molly or other Nature Conservancy officials of any changes! I contacted Molly and informed her that the NEPMTBA members allowed on the propery with me will be under my guidance. I am in the process of supplying her with a roster of NEMPTBA members who will be helping so she has the knowledge of who is approved to be on the NC property. I will keep track of all work man hours done by NEPMTBA members and submit them to Jenny.

I have personally emailed you info about the other days on our schedule you mentioned. Our team trail co-ordinator Kevin Czekalski Plainsbike@epix.net will handle any other matters concerning scheduling with our group.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Cool, See you then. Fahn

mtbr member
    Larry..sorry I am late in getting back to you but right now I am buried in bike repairs and can't even see my computer most of the day.

From what I gather, the 2 approved projects that have been tagged with a start designation and ok to proceed are Trails 1 and 2...nothing further or any other trails yet approved at this point in time. Lee is to start actually cutting the trails on May 7th. Everything has been GPS'ed and marked, so now it's the actual physical work that is needed from the volunteers, and that we ask that all that are interested please come out and lend a hand. Right now there are no trails on the property, so..it's going to take the help of all interested parties to get things up and running.

Scheduling will be somewhat of a nightmare, especially this time of the year. We all have conferences and trail building classes to attend, recertification, races, rides...and of course we all have to eat so there is business to attend to. I just had another project dropped on my lap yesterday..a new trail park in Nanticoke that they want us to come in and lay out. I guess we're gonna have to add an 8th day to the week.

NEPMTBA from what I understand is doing the co-ordinating for Jenny and Molly. Lee has the combo's for all the gates and will keep tabs on who is where during the actual building process. I ask if you guys do go up, let us know so we can log the hours and please include photo's of before and after in whatever project you are doing at the time. The more people logging actual work hours will really make us..the Mountain Bike Community..look damned good throughout the state.

Kevin
    NEPMTBA

mtbr member
    Word! I hear ya Kev. I went up today and got the intro loop officially marked. There will be some serious rock moving in a couple sections. I'm going up tomorrow at 12 to mark off the second loop. I hope I can get some serious trail laid out!
    All the trail hours are going to be logged and given to Jenny and Molly as they requested. An email will be going out shortly from Molly and me as to when the official trail days are going to be. ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    Well, we started to mark the second loop. Jeff and I went out close to the cliffs, but not on them. This is a 200' section that we were asked to not ride the bikes. This is the ONLY section of 1,500 acres that's off limits to bikes. Anyway, we are going to have some awesome sections of fast and flowy singletrack, and on the other hand, the tech'y sections! we're walking back and forth about 2-3 times to make sure it's good to go up AND down on. The reason we go back and forth is to ensure we're keeping the flow the best it can be without speed killers. You know, the 90* East coast turns where you'll be doing 20 and have to slam on the brakes cause the turn is right there?
    There's a ton of work to be done. The brush hogs will be appreciated in some of the areas! As far as rock work, there's going to be some moving required. Anyway, I figured I'd post an update. ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    FWIW, last fall Jenny, Gene, Lee, and Myself were at the MMC to walk and see what was available. I made 4 more trips with the GPS to try and get a basic idea of what type of land we had to work with, Water crossings, cliffs, rocks, brush, rocks, rocks, and brush. I got the layout idea (Echo) after figuring out how to avoid the "crossroads" I told Lee, Gene, and Jenny what the plan was and it was agreed on. The map that I drew was the basic layout. Lee was on my side and agreed on the layout. Jenny has a copy of that, Once again, it's not "official" but rather the idea of what we want to lay out. 2 weeks ago Jenny gave Lee and Myself the combo and left me in charge of the layout and the trail dates. I want peoples input on the trails. I want the LBClubs involved. Who's logging the hours for you guys? I can tell you this, it's not going to be an easy task with all the brush and rocks. We'll need to set up some dates in June. Kevin, can you email me weekends when you guys might have some time in June (if possible)? I'd like to do some weekend days if we can. This will allow more people to put in a full day or at least a couple more hours of work. I'll let you guys know how many hours have been involved when you can't make it. ttyl, Fahn

PS, if there's any questions, email me. I'm up the MMC marking a lot and only go on to check my email. I'm only here for a moment a couple times a week. Thanks again, Fahn

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! Making it Great...

[SIZE=14][SIZE=3]...To all:

Just throwing this out.

1. What is the consideration of the "working group" as to width of the trails? I feel we keep them to roughly 12 to 18 inches wide down where it counts. Any areas where h bar clearance is a problem of course it will be wider, These trails will widen as we use them quite quickly. I have available a DR type mower but really don't wanna use it. Simple trimming and riding will work best. Once the scrub is trimmed to not create a problem on a Mt bike derailer the rest is cake.. Weedwackers work great for this as long as the side to side swinging is kept in check Let's try to keep it looking like little machine work is visible after work is completed.

2. I agree as to keeping to the marked trails, but there will be situations where you will find things below the soil and we have to avoid at all cost running the "Fallline" where water flows very fast. Building only a trail segment at a time works to keep this in check. If we have areas where this occurs let's just do a few slight turns and as keeping with Rob's flow plan of "NO" 90 degree turns we can fit this in.

We are not in a rush for any reason! The best building season (summer) is coming. and we don't have a completion date heading our way, so let's have fun with it! And make it great place to enjoy really cool trails that we all built.

All in all I think work and cooperation is fantastic among all of us besides being friends who ride and work together! [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    I agree 100% Lee. I tried to mark the trails so we stay on top of rolling mounds and stay out of the dips (water settlement). For the most part the fall line is avoided with the exception of where the trail grade is very minimal and the water should be absorbed rather than flow. Or in some exceptions, down the rock slabs! It worked out perfect in the first loop.
    I was thinking about the width the other day while marking and came up with the idea that the base should be cut to 18" +/-. As riders the 12" is fine, but for the hikers, especially in shorts with all that low growth, I think that the 18" would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind that this is only for the areas specifically with the thick brush. When we're back in the typical NEPA hardwoods, the trails can go back to the 12" rule of thumb. There's some areas we encountered last year when we looked around that will take full days of several people to acomplish short sections of trail. These areas are either near water crossings or are in THICK sections of brush. Jeff Feather and myself walked around for about 3 hours trying to find the best ways through these sections as possible. The intro to the second loop was marked from the first stream crossing all the way to the cliffs. We found a section about 200' before the cliff area we were told not to ride on. It's the same rock and style but away from the wetlands and it's not cliffs, but rather rock slabs. This section does a small loop, then crosses back across where you were 3 minutes ago and continues PAST the actual "cliffs". This is a trail high-lite I think everyone will like. But, you don't have to do it if you don't want to!

If anyone wants to come up and help with layout ideas, email me a day or two in advance. I'll be up almost every weeknight and weekend until the best lines are found. The trails are being designed from the bottom up. Literally. We want to be able to ride them both ways and as some of us have found out in the past- If you build from the top down it looks fun! But try to pedal back up it and you'll be cursing yourself out.

OK, My fingers are cramping!

Ttyl, Fahn