They turned me loose

Moosic / Merli Sarnowski Conditions

ANyone have a report on conditions at Moosic or Merli?

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    I was at Mossic last week before the snow, the trails were still quite snow covered

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    ANyone have a report on conditions at Moosic or Merli?
    Was there this past tuesday 4/1. Most is dry and rideable with very little snow remaining. I rode conglomerate/stonehenge to high voltage, to fireplace, through genes trail and back to the lot. It was for the most part great riding. Lot of water in the streams down by the resevoir, muddy in the normal places there. I would avoid waterfall loop as it'll take some time to dry out back there. It was great to ride the rocks after a long long winter. Also high voltage was a rock stream, fun as hell to navigate the water and boulders. A few more dry days and it'll be close to it's normal dry self.

mtbr member
    Please avoid Moosic this week/weekend. Last night 3 of us ventured up Blueberry and down Bones. These trails were saturated and ruts were forming. The worst part is that more go-arounds are forming because people don't want to ride through a little water or mud. Even the access roads and powerlines are saturated and have 3"+ deep ruts.
    Merli should be OK, but might still have some snow on it. The original side should be in better condition. Start loop, Vintage, Squeeze Play, Handlebar, and Fox Rocks should be good. My Brother's Trail and Blade might be avoided though. Thanks, Fahn

They turned me loose
    Hrrrrm. Ok, well it sounds like we need to hold off another week or 2. Thanks for the responses everyone, it's been a long winter in the cave!

mtbr member
    This was Blueberry @4pm on Saturday. Thanks for understanding and letting the trails dry. Ttyl, Fahn

Moosic / Merli Sarnowski Conditions-20140405_154508.jpg

They turned me loose
    Yup certainly was a good call. Merli Sarnowski was in great shape. Few hidden mud spot but overall very good.

As an aside, We went down what I think others in my riding past have referred to as "SR471" or something along those lines. I have never ridden it, has a couple big sweepers and then turns back up the hill. That was a great trail. I noticed another blue trail offshoot before ascending back up that looks like it would end all the way in Carbondale! Anyone have insight into this? I am pretty familiar with the rest of the park and wanted to see what this trail was like, it didn't disappoint.

mtbr member
    HR280. If you did the swoops and went to the right of the gully, you missed the lower half. If you did the swoops and continued down, down, down the left side of the swoops, you'll end up alongside of state route 106. You'll have to carry your bike up a rock ledge. Go right! It kinda circles around and gets confusing. From here it's climb, climb, climb! It sucks no matter how good of shape you're in. There isn't a section that eases up. You'll come back out on Handlebar about 100yds from where you went in at. Ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Does anyone know if the gate to Merli will be open Easter Sunday?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Any one have conditions reports for Moosic, Merli, Prompton and/or Moon Lake?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    katsu: Why would the gate be closed? Still, you could call PARD and ask : Merli-Sarnoski Park Lackawanna County

onetracker: 'moto' reported Moon was "springy" beneath his wheels but in good shape, he didn't say where he rode though. I'd stay away from the low lying / flatter stuff that stays wet/muddy longer (like Thorny, parts of 8, and below TRex-2 towards the back side near Pavlick Rd, possibly the Dark) but would expect the rest to be in fair shape at this point.

For Moosic I'd wonder about the stuff Mr. Fahn shared earlier (Blueberrry, and Waterfall), whether it's been able to drain and dry, but again at this point I'd expect the bulk of the rest of it to be in fair shape. I could be inciting riots by saying that though. ;^)

Moosic / Merli Sarnowski Conditions

Holiday, for some. According to this, park is closed: Merli-Sarnoski County Park | Lackawanna County Convention Visitors Bureau Maybe you already knew this, but unless something's changed in recent years, I've always still rode there outside park hours, just need to park outside the gate and climb the hill.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Anyone ride Moosic today? Conditions?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    For Moosic, weather report says 90% chance of rocks. May develop into boulders, so keep your eye out.