mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Moon Lake versus Frances Slocum

Heading to Mt. Top PA today and plan to bring mountain bikes to ride Sunday morning. If I was solo I would lean towards Moon Lake since the rockier the trail the better for me.

However, I will have my wife and son who both ride but are not fond of rocky gardens. So my online research indicates that Frances Slocum maybe a milder trail.

Any advice on which trail to ride?

mtbr member
    i would do moon lake . the moon hjas trail for all . there are trails that does not have rock gardens . l love riding the moon .

fish
    Feb 2011
    Ride th Moon!!!!!!!:-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Slocum is not as smooth as you think. There are a ton of roots across the entire trail system. Not to mention there are quite a few climbs that aren't family friendly. The Moon at least has the service roads to ride of the single track is too much.
    "yea that's right, I stand up to shift"

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Slocum also holds moisture longer and got significant rain yesterday (I live a mile or so away from it), Moon drains better and holds up to water better otherwise.

The only two "water vulnerabile" trails sections I know of at Moon are Thorny (small woodsy patch just past the tennis courts) and The Dark (from the water processing fenced in area by the roundabout to the bottom of Screamer).

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Moon Lake trails were designed for mt bikes and drain water very well...

...whereas FS has modified hiking trails.

Moon Lake has more trails to offer 25 plus miles, of all different skill levels, only thing you won't find at Moon is a 4 mile climb or descent, but the NFS, Flume, 5858 loop can provide a great tech workout.

For the wife and kids there are service roads all through Moon the connect to trails in many places so you can make in and out rides that include a bit if singletrack and service roads for a bit of a rest.

A good loop for the beginner or kids is to park at the main gate outside the park ride the paved park road to (the swimming pool on your left) turn right up the dirt road going to the RC field, just before the sign for the RC flyers hook onto Big Blue on left (mainly a downhill flowy wide trail) follow that to Thorny, pass the tennis courts and through the field, end back at the main gate. Short but a good warm up! (map included, and I marked the loop with red arrows)

Enjoy your ride...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moon Lake versus Frances Slocum-warm-up-moon_900x900.jpg  

Did you ever have ham?
    I agree, I would go with da Moon!!! Lee and company did an outstanding job designing and maintaining amazing trails that are not only very mountain bike friendly, but they are also fun to hike on. Frances Slocum, in my opinion, is a much more difficult ride...although it can be great fun, also!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for the advice!

My wife and I road Moon Lake today. Great trail system and hope to ride again! Thanks Cliff for a great map!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Glad you and wife enjoyed yourself...

...nothing better than a great ride on da trails, and hope you make it back again!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    NEPMTBA - What loop would you recommend for someone with moderate skills. I regularly ride Rocky Ridge(York) and Rattling Creek(Lykens) and can ride pretty much everything at both of those places. I'm a Clyde that can ride anywhere between 12-16 miles at a time.

Gonna plan to Ride da Moon soon....just gotta convince a buddy to go as it's a 2 hour drive for me.

*Edit*
    Oh yeah, could you post that map without the arrows. The one on the site in your sig is slightly different.
    2011 Dawes Deadeye | 2011 Niner EMD9 | 2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy AL

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Fam - you'd be fine at either location.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Fam, I will get that up for you today 7/23/12

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Moon Lake versus Francis Slocum

Fam, if you ride RR then you will be fine at da moon. I ride RR when I'm in the york area(about every other week) and also ride da moon. You should be able to handle all of the moon when you get the map.

mtbr member
    thanks alot for the family friendly advice and the map to include, last week we skipped big blue and went 5tree and ended up at 4corners off nightmare! needless to say it was a trial =D im very excited to know there still trails i havent seen up the moon and will muster up for a 6pm ride soon! ttyl
    Dave

Did you ever have ham?
    I just drove by FS on my way to da Moon...can you even get to the trails right now with the construction? Looks like they laid a drainage pipe in a ditch down the hill past the entrance to the trails.
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    They have a bridge over the pipe the last I was there, it wasn't difficult. I walked it for safety though.

If that's a problem you can also enter the MTB trails off the back side where Mt. Olivet and Green Rd intersect, there's LIMITED parking there with an official trailhead kiosk.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Idea!

Starting at the Main Gate

Thorny, Big Blue, 5 Tree, Moto, Berts, 5 Tree, Grass Trails(lower), JKE, Dark, Farm Road, Traffic Circle(paved), Watkins, Go'in Up, Ol'Yeller, Camp Ground 32, Edge,(through the Trials Area) Edge, SR2 back to Campground, Campground Rd (paved) T-Rex2, NFS, PlanB, NFS, Flume, 5858, Salamander, 8, SR2, Eagle, Ledgeview, Deacon, 5858, Nature's Way 2, What, Nature's Way 2, Nature's Way 1, End...

You will have to enlarge this map cause it is rather large with lots of details, might have to copy sections on different pages. I marked the loop with square red boxes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moon Lake versus Frances Slocum-copy-moon-update-7-23-12.jpg  

mtbr member

That is a great route!!

Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    Starting at the Main Gate

Thorny, Big Blue, 5 Tree, Moto, Berts, 5 Tree, Grass Trails(lower), JKE, Dark, Farm Road, Traffic Circle(paved), Watkins, Go'in Up, Ol'Yeller, Camp Ground 32, Edge,(through the Trials Area) Edge, SR2 back to Campground, Campground Rd (paved) T-Rex2, NFS, PlanB, NFS, Flume, 5858, Salamander, 8, SR2, Eagle, Ledgeview, Deacon, 5858, Nature's Way 2, What, Nature's Way 2, Nature's Way 1, End...

You will have to enlarge this map cause it is rather large with lots of details, might have to copy sections on different pages. I marked the loop with square red boxes.
    Lee....haven't been to the Moon since late May....KuhlKat, DirtRider, myself , and MS rode there yesterday....great time.....i like the route you suggest...Ride On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    A little bit of everything...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ferko View Post
    thanks alot for the family friendly advice and the map to include, last week we skipped big blue and went 5tree and ended up at 4corners off nightmare! needless to say it was a trial =D im very excited to know there still trails i havent seen up the moon and will muster up for a 6pm ride soon! ttyl
    Dave
    Your wife couldn't have been too happy with nightmare! Lol... That's why I told you to do Blue. Glad you guys had a great time.
    "yea that's right, I stand up to shift"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks NEPMTBA! I'll definitely use the map and route you suggested. Just gotta pick a day to go. Thanks again.
    2011 Dawes Deadeye | 2011 Niner EMD9 | 2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy AL