mtbr member

Moon Lake: Trees marked for cutting?

Riding around 5858 and Salamander today I noticed a lot of larger trees with fresh blue paint. Too random to be some property line.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I guess this all came to be then:

There is talk of logging Moon Lake...
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Ride ledgeview and trex2 and 8 and you will see a lot more. There won't be much of these trails left when they roll in the heavy equipment.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    It looks like we made it easy for them. They just followed our trails and marked trees on either side.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Sorry to hear that... it is a shame that they are so shortsighted to think the logging there will be beneficial.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Sorry to hear that... it is a shame that they are so shortsighted to think the logging there will be beneficial.
    I don't know that the management is short-sighted, I just don't think they have any priority placed on maintaining the park as a natural and recreation resource.

Clearly their behavior since '09 is that they want it to go away as quickly as possible - it's only been the user community that has held up this agenda at all (with the various petitions and so on).

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm sure all will get a laugh out of this. Myself and bikergirl took her 6 month old lab for it's first trail ride Sunday morning to Da Moon. When we got there around 8:15 there were about another dozen vehicles waiting to gain access into the park. Some were there to fish, and others had dogs to walk the trails and fields, and other just to go walk around. Out comes a car thru the inbound gate and he pulls the gate shut and locks it. Several people asked him why it was being locked and he told them "because it is a holiday and it is supposed to be closed". Of all the idiocy close a park on a holiday when people are looking for a place to go. That is just typical of the blind mentality of our government. Local and federal.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Evidence that supports my thesis. Yuck.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Don't assume...
    ...what you don't know!

Property lines and land ownership intersect in the areas you speak of

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    Don't assume...
    ...what you don't know!

Property lines and land ownership intersect in the areas you speak of
    The original post was a question. Are you saying saying these trees are not marked for cutting?

mtbr member
    could be line/survey work, lets frickin hope so. as far as i know they cant log for a few more years due to the original agreement. but man o man do they need to sell it to someone! even KOA!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bilbo56 View Post
    The original post was a question. Are you saying saying these trees are not marked for cutting?
    I would say it starts with a tree survey, and it is "NOT" Moon lake property, check out Pa state forest logging schedules, if I had the link I would post it, but I didn't bookmark it.

FYI: This PDF from a 2012 Barton Lawson Master Planning study shows the property that actually owned by Luzerne County. The property survey is on page 70, but it's the same as the much easier to read graphic on page 1: http://www.luzernecounty.org/uploads...6-12%20rev.pdf

Also FYI: regardless of what people including myself started observing last week and on what property, Luzerne County did in fact issue an RFP last month, due June 3rd, for requests for Forestry Service related to a timber survey and timber appraisal for County owned land at Moon Lake: http://www.luzernecounty.org/uploads...RY_SERVICE.pdf (skip ahead to page 8.)

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    It would help if we had a map of "county owned land" and not "Moon Lake Park" They are two different pieces of land spoken of here. Moon Lake Park proper is shown on the map, but other county owned lands are nearby.

The markings on trees are on State Forest land...