mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Moon Lake trails

I'm looking to take the g-friend to Moon Lake. She recently got into mtn biking after riding the road. She has the skills to try just about anything but wants to work up to it. Are there any specific trail maps, where to park, etc. Both of us ride full suspension.

Rolling on 650b

Moon Lake map

Map of many of the trails here :http://nepmtba.piczo.com/moonlakemap...linkvar=000044

Make sure to try T-Rex 2 and Screamer!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Chriffer has really good maps on his site too...

http://www.chriffer.com/MoonLakeMap

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Okay, this just shows that I've been doing too much riding and not enough map making. The most up to date single map is this one, but it lacks trail names on the map. The info marker is the park office and should be a fine place to park.

The blue loop is the most basic and generally easiest way through the park. I would expect you would be fine trying out most of the trails marked in orange. The simplest route to explain would be generally clockwise. Start from the lot and head to the brown footbridge that will be the "Nature's Way" trail. Take this out and the trail named "8" will be a left and is the one marked in green on the top area of the map. Instead of following the trail called "Skinny" which is the blue dashed section along the right side, take the service road until you see "T-Rex 2" on the left. This is to avoid "Edge" and "T-Rex 1" which are on the more difficult side of things.

After you exit "T-Rex 2", you will be dumped out into the campground. If you follow the campground road clockwise, you'll eventually have a thin patch of woods between the road and the group campground. There is a connector that leads parallel to the road to the fun downhill "Screamer". If you stay on the orange on the map trails that are the outer band of trails through the park, you'll find the "Dark", then "JKE" to the left when you hit the fenced area. After "JKE", you should get fed into "5 Tree" from the grass road going straight. Catch "Rock Waterfall" as "5 Tree" ends and you'll be onto the blue again on the map and almost back to the starting spot. Cross a short field and "Thorny Hollow" will drop into the woods and at the end of it you should be able to see the park office across the next field.

This all takes far too much time to explain. Blame the guy who didn't make a good enough map. You could always fine a tour guide if you had to.

Did you ever have ham?

Moon Lake trails

There is a ride open to everyone at 6pm on Wednesdays, if you and your girlfriend can make it. If that is not a good time, just post a day and time that you can make it and I am sure someone will be able to give you a tour of the trails!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Moon Lake trails

Thanks. This all helps a lot. We're from Hazleton but I live near Valley Forge during the week. I ride mostly French Creek during the week and come back to Hazleton on the weekends. May take you up on a weekend ride. I'll let you know.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Moon Lake Trails

Just want to say thanks to all who provided maps and trail suggestions. Was there on Saturday witht he girlfriend. What a great place to ride. The trails were perfect. A mixture of everything. Ended up taking Natures Way trail to T-Rex 2, Screamer, Salamander, Dark, JKE, and whatever else we came across. Rode about 15 miles. The girl dumped it a couple of times, and came up laughing eveytime. Just a few scratches. We even got to try Liquid Lightning. Definitely coming back for the "Save Moon Lake" rally. Might hit it again next Sunday with some other friends. Thanks again. Hope to hit the trails with some of you soon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Sorry if this question does not belong here but...... is there still camping at Moon Lake and if so can you just show and camp?

Did you ever have ham?

Moon Lake trails

No, unfortunately there is no camping, swimming, or boating at Moon Lake at this time. The park is currently open 8am to 8pm for hiking, biking, and fishing from the shore line. Also, the R/C Flyers are flying again up by the Nature Center. Great bunch of guys and it is really neat to see some of their planes!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!