Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    wounded knee
    Took the long way to the Moon today, Memorial Highway, 118, ect..
    28 Miles
    45 Minutes
    Getting to ride the Moon again....priceless.

Did my usual route, for the most part the trails are in good shape, except for the tree about 8" around sticking out of the crotch of a tree at the intersection of 8 right at head height coming around a corner, I just noticed it out of the corner of my eye and instinctively ducked...good thing! I managed to break it off and get it out of the way.

Bridge by the Damp.

Moved all the branches piling up against it and forming a dam.

The Bridge is out on Mosey again.

A BIG shout out to everyone who helped get the trails back in riding shape in such a short amount of time.

On the way home I figured I would try the normal route, down Hunlock Creek, this is what I found.

The road is open all the way to Chase road, you can then take that out to the Cross Valley, just a heads up in case someones not sure what roads are open.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Rolling on 650b
    I was thinking about trying to get up there this coming Wednesday. I come 239 through Macanaqua, onto 11 in Shickshinny, and then left at Hunlock creek and onto Hartman to the Moon. Does anyone know if any of these are currently closed? Thanks in advance, it's a bummer driving 30 minutes and then finding that the road is out and having to turn around.

wounded knee
    I can tell you Macanaqua got hit really bad, I would be surprised if the roads were open down there.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Shickshinny was completely under water, as was the Rt 11 / 29 intersection in Nanticoke (Banko's was up to it's roof-line in water). I'd not consider that the way to go until someone local posts that it is actually clear and serviceable.

There are a LOT of roads with drainage damage, like dr6 found, here and there, even far uphill from the river.

If the damage in West Pittston is anything to go by ( Maria and I were out there volunteering, somewhat, today ) then I'd expect travel in Nanticoke and Shickshinny to be restricted - particularly after hours - until we've been told otherwise. National Guard was posted and checking people going into West Pittston, for example.

;^(

ps. NEPMTBA lives in West Pittston, he and his mother are fine and they got lucky and only "lost" the basement ... but they don't have power yet and are working hard to reclaim their house. Their neighborhood looks like a mud-water bomb went off, it's really, really sad.

note: other streets had household contents piled up waiting for the back-hoes to shovel them into trucks to carry them away, up to 10' or higher tall. Think roads lined with mud-destroyed household goods.

this kind of shows the water level. The Curry's were lucky as the water crested 2" below their 1st floor FLOOR, most of the 'hood was not so lucky. Major credit to Jeremy S. for being out there apparently all day with Lee helping him out.

Last edited by bear; 09-11-2011 at 06:17 PM.

wounded knee
    I was concerned about Lee knowing where he lives, I shot him a email Friday, I was in Pittston on Saturday, but couldn't get to West Pitston bridges were blocked.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider6 View Post
    I was concerned about Lee knowing where he lives, I shot him a email Friday, I was in Pittston on Saturday, but couldn't get to West Pitston bridges were blocked.
    Yeah, you would have needed to go up to the 309 bridge to cross over and then come back north on rt11.

They were in good spirits, just tired n dirty. So much more fortunate than their neighbors (for the most part).

The area between the RR tracks and the river was the hardest hit that I saw.

google map linky

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I'm not sure when I'll make it up to finish the work on salamander, it's still a mess here, got power, still no water. I don't know if I can get there without driving a 100 miles anyway?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by wyatt79m View Post
    I'm not sure when I'll make it up to finish the work on salamander, it's still a mess here, got power, still no water. I don't know if I can get there without driving a 100 miles anyway?
    I think you need to Take Care Of Business first, Salamander will get helped out.

Getting there is doable, but not as direct for you for sure until rt11 opens up all the way, and 29 is clear from 11 up. High-way-way would work though and wouldn't add TOO much more time...

80 -> 81 -> 309 (cross valley) -> Hillside Rd (left) -> Chase Rd (left) -> 29 (right).

Back-tracking of course gives you the option of stopping at Hillside Farm just a bit before you get onto 309 for some super-lucious frozen dairy-based confections.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    thanks for the route...

Quote Originally Posted by wyatt79m View Post
    thanks for the route...
    Are 487 and 118 clear? According to PennDot, 487 is only closed around Catawissa LINK. That'd be faster from Bloom than Bear's way.

487 North to 118 East to 29 South.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonz View Post
    Are 487 and 118 clear? According to PennDot, 487 is only closed around Catawissa LINK. That'd be faster from Bloom than Bear's way.

487 North to 118 East to 29 South.
    A couple weeks ago Chriffer and I went the back way to BESF, which took us from Shickshinny via 239 to 487 to 254. There was some kind of crazy construction going on that required a long-term detour to get from 239 to 487 (somewhere in the vicinity of Benton). I honestly don't know if it affected 487 through, but I don't *believe* so.

In general, always take Jonz' advice over mine on PA routing, btw.

wounded knee
    This list was updated today.

Road closures

PennDOT District 4 has announced the following roads are closed.

Luzerne County•
    SR 29 – Ramp at SR 29 South, Exit 3 is closed today due to a washout

• SR 29 is closed in both directions between Red Barn Road in Jackson Township and Hartman Road in Lehman Township

• SR 239 is closed in both directions from the intersection of Ruckle Hill Road in Conyngham to the intersection of Pond Hill Road in Conyngham Township

• SR 2004: Jenkins Township; police request that large trucks avoid SR 2004 (River Road).

• SR. 2006 (Main Street) Duryea is closed from Phoenix Street to Stephenson Street

• SR 3001 (Market Street) is closed from the Industrial Park Entrance to the West Nanticoke Bridge in Nanticoke

• SR 4013 (Mossville Road) Fairmont Township, is closed in both directions from the intersection of Bethel Hill Road in Fairmount to the intersection of SR 118 SH in Fairmount

• SR 4015 (Bethel Hill Road) is closed from the intersection with SR 118 to the intersection of SR 4024 (Talcott Hill Road).

• SR 4024 (Talcott Hill Road) (Ross Township) is closed from the intersection with SR 4015 (Bethel Hill Road) to the intersection with SR 4021 (Broadway Road)

Wyoming County•
    Truck Information: Trucks going to or coming from Tunkhannock: Rt 29 is closed between Bowman’s Creek and Evans Falls. Use Interstate 81 North to US 6 West to Tunkhannock, for northbound. Use US 6 East to Interstate 81 south for points south.

• SR 29 is closed in both directions between Beaver Street in Noxen and Bigelow Street in Monroe Township

• SR 29 is closed in both directions between SR 309 in Tunkhannock and SR 292 in Eaton

• SR 29 is closed in both directions between Maple Street and Tannery Street in Noxen

• SR 187 (PA-187) is closed in both directions between the intersections of SR 4002 SH in North Branch to the intersection of Wyalusing and New Albany in Terry

• SR 1010 is closed in both directions between the intersections of Main Street in Oakland to the intersection of Main Street/ Susquehanna Avenue in Hallstead for bridge inspection

• SR 267 is closed in both directions from the beginning of the road to Boro Road in Meshoppen

• SR 2001 (SR 2001 SH) is closed in both directions from the intersection of SR 2018 SH in Monroe to Wyoming County (65)

• SR 2007 (Keelersburg Road) is closed in both directions between SR 29 and Barziloski Road in Eaton

• SR 2008 (Sand Plant Road) is closed in both directions between SR 92 and Sandy Valley Drive in Falls

• SR 3005 (Eaton Road) is closed in both directions between SR 29 and Private Drive in Eaton
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider6 View Post
    • SR 29 is closed in both directions between Red Barn Road in Jackson Township and Hartman Road in Lehman Township
    I went to Google Maps, Mapquest and Bing - none of them acknowledge the existence of Red Barn Road. Is it north or south of Moon Lake?

mtbr member
    I did the same thing. Could not find it anywhere.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Jackson Township (where Red Barn Rd is supposed to be according to the above) is south of Moon, apparently centered on the east side of 29 and north of Chase Rd (according to google maps).

I don't really know what all this means.

If there is a problem with the runout from the reservoir and the creeks lower along 29 I'd understand, but that would block off relatively easy access to ML. There are a bunch of other small roads up there to wind around in but it sounds like a PITA. Going to ML from WB by way of 118/29 seems kind-of like walking a camel for 100 miles for a drink of water.

Wish I knew someone up that direction who could scope it.

;^(

ps. I know someone who went up and rode ML on Saturday. I know they were staying in Pringle (hills above Kingston) so probably went Larksville (Mtn Rd) -> Weavertown -> Mtn Rd -> Chase -> 29. Don't know of anyone who has been up since then.

It sounds like RT 11 is open in W. Nanticoke though, so it could just be as easy as going up Hartman Road to Atherton Rd, going into ML the back way. That's the way I normally always go home and it's pretty straight forward.

mtbr member
    I rode there Monday. Chase road to 29 then up to moon lake is all open

mtbr member
    29 was open, but single lane where the road washed out. The paper said it would be closed today. Maybe they are repairing the road. If thats the case, you should be able to turn left off of 29 onto either Mizdale or Pavlick Rd. They both run into White Oak Dr. Look for a sharp right onto Atherton which will put you at the main gate of Moon Lake.

mtbr member
    When I go to moon lake I usually take take the following route. Please let me know if I need to go a different way. I really don't know the roads over there well at all. Thanks.

Rt 81 to exit 164 PA-29 Cross valley
    then 29 to 11
    11 to mill st
    If you look for the truth outside yourself, it gets farther and farther away. ~ Tung-Shan

mtbr member
    oops, looks like I will need to find a different way
    SR 29 – Ramp at SR 29 South, Exit 3 is closed today due to a washout
    If you look for the truth outside yourself, it gets farther and farther away. ~ Tung-Shan

mtbr member
    You can get off on exit 2. Turn left which will take you toward Nanticoke. Look to make a right at Luz. Co. Comm. College. At the bottom of the hill, make a left on to the main street in Nanticoke. When you get to the light, turn right. You will cross the bridge onto rt 11.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Had a great ride last night. There were people everywhere and the trails wer primo. Last night was my first time back on clip pedals in about 5 years. I have the bruises to prove it today.Thank you everyone who who worked on clearing the trails. it was the first time up since a few days after Irene. The place is a whole lot different from then.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'll be riding moon at 10:30am tomorrow if anyone is interested. Nothing crazy, just looking to enjoy the nice weather for a few hours.

Did you ever have ham?

Sincere Thanks!!!

I rode the Moon for the first time since well before Irene went through! It was amazing! I just want to extend my sincere thanks to everyone that helped to clear the trails and make them rideable! I am so glad that I got involved in mountain biking!!! I have never met a better bunch of people!!! Looking forward to seeing you on the trails!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    Rt 11 is open the entire way through W. Nanticoke. No issues. I would not go through Mocanaqua. Too much clean-up going on and the streets are still a mess.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast