Ride da mOOn Moderator

Idea! Moon Lake... Ride da Leaf Blower Events...

...from now till the trails are spotless!...LOL

Show up and blow, person with the fastest leaf blower wins!

If you do blow out a trail post it up here, so as we have a list of trails done!

If you do buy one and have any questions or need help with starting method or mixing fuel I can help ya with that. Just bring it to any Wednesday night Ride da mOOn ride.

Here's on from Wally world
    Poulan Pro 25cc Gas Blower - Walmart.com

Stihl
    BG 55 Handheld Blower - Occasional Use Handheld Blower | STIHL USA

Husqvarna
    Shop Husqvarna 28cc 2-Cycle Heavy-Duty Gas Blower at Lowes.com

Thanks from da Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by RRHINES View Post
    Also have my early Christmas present wish....a leaf blower!
    Last edited by NEPMTBA; 10-13-2012 at 10:23 PM.

Wizard of the Trail
    Really Lee. I practically got lost with all those leaves yesterday. Not a soul there either for a guide. If you need any help, I'll be upstairs asleep.

Actually, I would help out if I was closer to you. I'm about an hours drive according to google maps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

wounded knee
    Trails that are done.
    Thorny
    5 Tree
    Nightmare
    Slide
    And I even got a ride in today.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Still alot of leaves on the trees up there yet

wounded knee
    Still alot of leaves on the trees up there yet
    Blowing them off is a 2 stage process every year, we get a first pass in around now and believe me 5 tree had some deep spots that were allready hard to move, and then again after they all fall, if we waited till they all fell they would be really hard to move and very time consuming.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I would have waited and went with you dr6 if I knew you were going today

wounded knee
    I would have waited and went with you dr6 if I knew you were going today
    I was undecided what to all morning, I had to get a shin guard for my leg didn't want to hit that again just the slightest touch and it hurts, found one at Wal-Mart till I get a better one , wish I had more time to dedicate to trail maintenence as it was my leaf blower is on it's last leg, I had to keep adjusting the choke with my left hand as I was using it, just kept wanting to die out.
    Guess it's time to look for a new one.
    This one from Home Depot has great reviews, it's light only 8 pounds (my shoulders are killing me from holding mine today for hours on end) and it has a 7 year warranty!

170 mph 441 CFM Hand Held Blower-RB24EAP at The Home Depot
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Dirt rider. Glad u were able to hook up w us. Even if it was only for a short ride. We should have fixed the flat. Next time.

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker64 View Post
    Dirt rider. Glad u were able to hook up w us. Even if it was only for a short ride. We should have fixed the flat. Next time.
    I'm going back to the Surly tubes (heavy duty) way to many flats lately
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    dirtrider, did you lose a riding glove on Sunday? We picked one up by where your truck was on our way out. I have it if it's yours. If not let me know and I'll do a general post.

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by MnBill View Post
    dirtrider, did you lose a riding glove on Sunday? We picked one up by where your truck was on our way out. I have it if it's yours. If not let me know and I'll do a general post.
    No Bill, I meant to pick it up but forgot, post it up hopefully whoever lost it will see it.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Did a few more tails earlier today. Pretty much everything from Main Gate back to the picnic table on the service road by Deacon:

Natures Way 1 & 2
    What
    Front Part of 5858

I didn't get to that new connector trail between the Natures Ways but I'll try to get to it tomorrow. I also plan on trying to get to Ledgeview and 8 if they havn't already been done. Maybe Mo-Zee and Peek-A-Boo of I have time.

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by MnBill View Post
    Did a few more tails earlier today. Pretty much everything from Main Gate back to the picnic table on the service road by Deacon:

Natures Way 1 & 2
    What
    Front Part of 5858

I didn't get to that new connector trail between the Natures Ways but I'll try to get to it tomorrow. I also plan on trying to get to Ledgeview and 8 if they havn't already been done. Maybe Mo-Zee and Peek-A-Boo of I have time.
    Way to go Bill, great job, leave some for me I just bought a new blower this morning!
    Only time I can get up there is Saturday mornings.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider6 View Post
    Way to go Bill, great job, leave some for me I just bought a new blower this morning!
    Only time I can get up there is Saturday mornings.
    Don't worry, there will be plenty. I will get in a few hours tomorrow and that will be it for me for the week. I happen to have today and tomorrow off so I thought I would put some time in. It looks so nice once it's blown off.....it kind of makes you want to keep going though.

wounded knee
    The trails will dry much faster without the leaves on.
    It looks cool with them blown out, the trail jumps out at you.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Awesome thanks guys!...
    ...I'll get the Edge area Wednesday before the ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

We the people ... rode some new trails at the moon

What a blast I had last week riding those leaf covered trails last week. They were like riding different trails, you had to use different riding techniques, different lines, different braking, at least I got one ride in. Back to the same old same old.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by mt.Pulaski View Post
    What a blast I had last week riding those leaf covered trails last week. They were like riding different trails, you had to use different riding techniques, different lines, different braking, at least I got one ride in. Back to the same old same old.
    Oh well...

...just like your always telling me "Everyone has to get along" Looks like you'll have to go with the same old, same old!

wounded knee
    It takes a lot of effort to clean the trails up, leaving the leaves on the trail does not do any good, rather it does harm, they hold moisture in not alowing the trail to dry out which leads to ruts, when the trails get frozen and the frost hits wherever the leaves are left on the trail the ground heaves, again leading to ruts and holes.
    Moon Lake trails have been getting the leaves blown off for years and yet everyone raves at the great shape the trails are in all Winter and Summer.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Wizard of the Trail
    It takes a lot of effort to clean the trails up, leaving the leaves on the trail does not do any good, rather it does harm, they hold moisture in not alowing the trail to dry out which leads to ruts, when the trails get frozen and the frost hits wherever the leaves are left on the trail the ground heaves, again leading to ruts and holes.
    Moon Lake trails have been getting the leaves blown off for years and yet everyone raves at the great shape the trails are in all Winter and Summer.
    No one does that up north. Not that I am criticizing, but no one blows down the trails like LSP Merli, etc. Usually the leaves are gone by the time December rolls around.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Geist262 View Post
    No one does that up north. Not that I am criticizing, but no one blows down the trails like LSP Merli, etc. Usually the leaves are gone by the time December rolls around.

I agree, MOST trails do not get the leaf blowing treatment that the moon does. at least 3 times last year that I know of. don't think waiting a month or 2 would hurt, m.h.o. if most people like the scrubbed clean trail go for it. i also think the leaves protect some of the dirt, also decomposed leaves make DIRT. also the blowing of the trails blows away leaves and DIRT. I just like people to know there is another option instead of BRAHHHHHH BRAHHHHHHH BRAHHHHH thats my leaf blower noise just to clarify. its all good, go ride your bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I just got my leaf blower today! I plan on going up tomorrow after work with my light and cleaning some stuff off. To each their own with their school of thoughts on leaf blowing trails. I for one don't mind seeing some of the rocks on certain trails at the Moon hence the reason for cleaning the trails off, but hey opinions are like buttholes.....we all have one!

Thanks DR6 and MnBill for getting it started like DR6 said to MnBill....leave some stuff for me to clean off!

Wizard of the Trail
    RRHINES we can use you up north buddy. Lots of leaves to blow here. Lol.

fish
    Oct 2012
    Thanks to everyone who has been able to blow the leaves off the trails. It is so much easier to see the trails and enjoy a ride without sliding on them. Kudos everyone!!!!
    Don't Limit your Challenges...Challenge your Limits!!!!!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Rookies...

...I remember when we used to "RAKE" the trails!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Geist262 View Post
    RRHINES we can use you up north buddy. Lots of leaves to blow here. Lol.

RRhines, I think he is propositioning you?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Guys go easy on mt Pulaski, here we see he really is one of us...

...as he has a rake in his hand and soon that trail will be sans of leaves!

I was there I seen it with my one good eye! (~)

Sorry Bob I just had to!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moon Lake... Ride da Leaf Blower Events...-copy-12-3-06-4_900x900.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Meanwhile I am wondering if there would be some

way to rig the leaf blower onto the back of a fat bike and ride the trail slowly while blowing the trail clear. I would assume it would burn the motor out running full blast but one can dream.
    Geist, that might be the ticket for the norther tier!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Team Honeybadger View Post
    Meanwhile I am wondering if there would be some way to rig the leaf blower onto the back of a fat bike and ride the trail slowly while blowing the trail clear.
    Like I always said: "Why go "FAT" when ya can go "FAST" I could bring my RM too-fiddy-too smoker and remove debris at 100MPH, no blower necessary!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Mt. Pulaski,

I understand the leave the leaves thing. I like to ride when it's real slippery and greasy because it's a different ride and a different skill set. The leaves do trap the moisture and then the trails do heave and you are left with the krunchy ride. Everything is a tradeoff I guess, you get something and you loose something. If we have and early freeze or a freeze without snow the lack of leaves will give you some hard traction filled trails without the leaves. The season before last the trails were frozen solid and clear for a long time and there was traction-a-plenty, almost as much as slick rock. I don't know, in the end it's just riding bikes so I just ride. If you want to ride leafy trails you are welcome to come over to our place and we can hit some of the old logging roads and dirtbike single track. We can get our fill of leaves there for sure.

Honeybadger,

I had my leaf blower throttle locked Friday and I turned it around and tucked it under my arm to walk up the trail a few steps. I don't remember why??? but I do odd stuff from time to time. I only have a Stihl BG55 and it really pushed me along and laugh a bit. I'd bet you'd need the CFS and velocity of a good sized backpack version to use at the speed and random direction of a rolling bike. My 55 pushes air at 140 MPH and the volume is 418CFS the big BR600 backpack pushes air at 210 MPH and they don't list an air volume. Essentially you are mounting a jet exaust to the front of your bike and making all the pedaling harder. NOW, mounting the nozzle backwards, that sounds like a more interesting idea. Either way if you have the blower and bike to mount it on I'll give you ah hand strappin it on and watch the results.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Lee, I should be able to get there by a bit earlier than 5 tomorrow, if you give me a section, I'll clear it before we ride.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    cr500

I try to link stuff together:
    Like up Go'in up, down Eddie Turchin(ET)
    or
    Dark & Screamer
    or the tough one
    NFS Flume 5858

Pick any or all...LOL

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Not sure which one is ET but Going Up is easy enough to drive to, I'll get that one, let me know what one ET is and I should be able to get those tomorrow.

wounded knee
    way to rig the leaf blower onto the back of a fat bike and ride the trail slowly while blowing the trail clear. I would assume it would burn the motor out running full blast but one can dream.
    Here you go it can and has been done.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hmLsZ4mUtAc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Wizard of the Trail
    Badger, it's not so lax up here like Lee and the guys have it down south. Down there, everyone just pitches in when they can and its great. Around here, it's always an organized thing that is done on Sundays when I have work. The only place I have helped out on my own time was prompton. I am not picking on anyone, just pointing out what I see.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Smile

Running a "good" leaf blower at full RPM won't hurt it. I've run mine full throttle for hours and just stopped to refuel. This is why they have a throttle lock. If you have the proper mix on a 2 stroke it will run great.

As far as your question I have done this in the past, a few metal strips and bungies on a bike, and it doesn't have to be a fatbike. In fact mine was an old 26er Schwinn. Mine was mounted in the front, problem is you must sweep the blower from side to side to be effective, yes it would work and blow a path in the middle. Like RRhines said: "You have to use a lot of different angles with the blower to be successful" Different depths of the leaves in places you would miss a lot also. What's wrong with just walking, I used to walk the entire 30 miles of mOOn trails before I had help. It's fun to be out in the woods and a great workout also!

At HCGA we have quads and motos that are allowed on the trails and we still walk, more effective and fun!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

cr500:

Park in the marina lot by the lake by the big stinky uphill(aka pipeline) go to Watkins on the big stinky uphill go up Go'in Up to the top cross big stinky uphill go down ET. ET goes up the same hill as Goin-Up just over a bit with more switchbacks too! Here's a simple map you can do it as a loop and return to start... Thanks!

Yes, Moon riders are very special people and they really love their park and are dedicated. I'm amazed at times I visit one day bring the tools the next with a plan to do the work and it is already done! Haven't had a scheduled workday all year, everyone pitches in all the time and we spend more time riding.

Same goes for lots of places all around Pa...
    ...and I can't say it enough Thanks to "all" who help make it "nice" "everywhere"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moon Lake... Ride da Leaf Blower Events...-et-goin-up.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Did a few more trails today:

The left side(by picnic table) of Deacon up to Ledgeview
    Ledgeview
    8 (I ran out of gas shortly before T-rex so there is a small portion of 8 not complete.)

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

THAT is awesome!!!

Here you go it can and has been done.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hmLsZ4mUtAc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It looks to work better than expected.As Lee mentioned, I thought there would be a problem with not having the side to side motion but that video shows it can work halfway decent and the bike is moving faster than I expected.
    Geist, need fabrication, time and materials quote for two fat bikes asap!!

BTW, this was originally said in jest buuuuuuuttttttt it might allow us to clear some loops quickly.

In reference to fatbikes, not that long ago the fat bike forum used to have numerous fatbike photos posted with chainsaws, machetes, rakes and other tools strapped to them.Obviously no one needs a fat but they are a lot of fun. Haven't touched my 29er in almost a year now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Cleared peek-a-boo, mozee, watkins, trex2, trex1 and the section of 8 where MnBill ran out of gas.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Enjoyed the picture of myself, notice no leaf blowers in sight, or on the back of a bike, Moto, 4 wheeler, 3 wheeler, side by side, helicopter, or unicycle. This topic got me thinking.... maybe we can remove all the snow from the trails at the moon. Get some snow blowers or better yet blow torches walk through the woods get all the snow out of there. Maybe a roof over the trail yeah that's the ticket. We can ride all year around without that pesky nature getting in the way. Rediculous

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Enjoyed the picture of myself, notice no leaf blowers in sight, or on the back of a bike, Moto, 4 wheeler, 3 wheeler, side by side, helicopter, or unicycle. This topic got me thinking.... maybe we can remove all the snow from the trails at the moon. Get some snow blowers or better yet blow torches walk through the woods get all the snow out of there. Maybe a roof over the trail yeah that's the ticket. We can ride all year around without that pesky nature getting in the way. Rediculous
    I went out today and built an entirely natural trail system at Moon Lake. It mirrors the existing trails exactly three feet to the right of the ruined but clearly visible trails. Now everyone can be happy. Another problem solved.

Cleaning some snow of the trails if they get impassable sounds like a good idea. Please announce a snow removal day if we have lasting snow.

Wizard of the Trail
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriffer View Post
    I went out today and built an entirely natural trail system at Moon Lake. It mirrors the existing trails exactly three feet to the right of the ruined but clearly visible trails. Now everyone can be happy. Another problem solved.

Cleaning some snow of the trails if they get impassable sounds like a good idea. Please announce a snow removal day if we have lasting snow.
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Well, will the leaf blower work on powdered snow??

If so, back at ya with the fat bikes!!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

well. this leaf thread seems to be blowin up....

BAHHHH, I kill myself... sorry just couldn't resist

Wizard of the Trail
    I'll try em out Saturday on the fattie.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Justin, Jason, and I removed the downed trees on 5858, near the bottom and the hanging one on Salamander, so more stuff is open and rideable that is if you can actually ride this stuff...LOL

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    justin josh and i

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by justinkoolaid View Post
    justin josh and i
    me, johnny, jay, and joe

LOL

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    lol

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    Justin, Jason, and I removed the downed trees on 5858, near the bottom and the hanging one on Salamander, so more stuff is open and rideable that is if you can actually ride this stuff...LOL
    Is Sally "basically" all clear then? There were two (three?) trees across at different spots. I was planning on taking my trusty bow saw up it this afternoon, if I had time before the ride. I'll double check this evening and do any remaining work later.

On a related note: could I hook up with someone to borrow a leaf blower when I have some free time for trail work? In the worst case, I'll just buy a smaller one for myself; however, that seems like a waste of resources. I'm in Forty Fort, so anyone close would be ideal for borrowing and returning. PM me here or talk to me at 'da Moon.

Best,
    Mark

wounded knee
    Lee:
    Maybe you can edit the first post to include an updated list of trails that have been cleaned so we know what still needs to be done?
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    All the trails we cleaned are all covered again. The rain fixed that for us!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Dude it's an ongoing process...

...wait till the trails are blown clean, and no leaves on the trees then the wind blows, and guess what more blowing required!

mtbr member
    AWWWw just ride over them and listen to them crunch! Thats what i do!

" width="549">

deacon

" width="549">
    Last edited by t0pcat; 10-21-2012 at 03:23 AM. Reason: add pic
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    OK, see ya on the Deacon trail at night...
    ...that is if "you" can find it

fish
    Oct 2012
    Its all a part of nature. Fall follage!!!Ya gotta love riding in it!!!!But kudos to our leaf blowers that clear the trails!thanks!!!! Live Love Ride!!!!
    Don't Limit your Challenges...Challenge your Limits!!!!!

mtbr member
    Deacon is now cleared as well as the middle section of 5858 (between Salamander and the service road).

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Nice!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Today 10/28/12

I cleaned all of Dr Feelgood, Big Stick, What, Dark, and NW1/2 to What... Lots more to do!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Since leaf blowing turned into a Hurricane repair...
    ...all posts continued here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/pennsylvania/moon-lake-trail-damage-reports-here-734440-8.html#post8392901

Members who have read this thread: 0