Ride da mOOn Moderator

Moon Lake Park will be closed weekdays | The Times Leader, Wilkes-Barre, Scranton PA

Wizard of the Trail
    What a sham!!!
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Keep Moon Lake Park Open Face Book Page...

...please join in to save our park!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-Moon-Lake-Park-open/253855842965

Ride da mOOn Moderator

New question here.

Does anyone have the schedule for the next county commissioners meeting?

We all need to attend! Let's see if we can offer help or get a plan going to save this great resource of Luzerne county...

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Moon Lake Park will be closed weekdays

Budget cuts mean security will not be available. Park will still be open on weekends.

By Jennifer Learn-Andes jandes@timesleader.com
    Luzerne County Reporter | Jenn Learn-Andes on Facebook | @TLJenLearnAndes on Twitter

Moon Lake Park will be closed on weekdays because Luzerne County’s security department lost six employees to recent budget cuts, county Security Chief John Robshaw said Wednesday.
    Three security workers will be laid off at the end of today, and three positions vacated by recent terminations and a resignation won’t be filled.
    Robshaw said he is left with 18 security guards, and protecting the county courthouse and other buildings must take priority.
    The park will be open from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays, starting this weekend, he said.
    Robshaw said he will attempt to expand hours when the park is used more heavily in the summer but can’t make promises.
    The news puts the upcoming trout stockings scheduled for the park in limbo, according to Bryan Bendock, assistant regional supervisor for the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission. Currently, the agency has scheduled three stockings -- one prior to the April 14 opening day of trout season followed by two more -- April 28 and May 5.
    Bendock said if the county decides to keep the gate closed but allow people to walk into the park, the agency will continue with the scheduled stockings.
    If not, the PFBC would likely cancel Moon Lake from the stocking schedule.
    “Those trout designated for Moon Lake would go back into the state allocation and be stocked elsewhere,” Bendock said, adding that Moon Lake and Lake Irena are scheduled to receive the most stockings out of any waterway in the county.
    Exeter resident Phil Russo is a daily user of the park and said he heard rumors that it would be closing during the week. The main users, he said, are anglers, mountain bikers, model airplane enthusiasts and walkers.
    With trout season set to begin next month and the spring weather on the horizon, Russo said the timing of the decision couldn’t be worse.
    Russo said the ideal scenario would have the park open seven days a week, from sunup to sundown. At the very least, he said, the county should consider having a guard available simply to open and close the gate to allow daily usage.
    “We appreciate the county’s financial position, but the expense of having a guard open and close the gate is minimal,” Russo said.
    The county is still in the process of completing a master plan outlining possible improvements at the park and the estimated costs.
    The plan is required to obtain future government grants for the park. The state may cover 50 percent of the cost of recreational improvements at the facility once the master plan is completed, though it will be up to the county to fund maintenance.
    County Chief Engineer Joe Gibbons said the park needs costly capital improvements on the water and electrical distribution systems, sewage treatment plant, pool and campgrounds.
    Gibbons expects a draft of the plan in the near future, and it may be publicly presented to obtain additional feedback later this month. .
    The public is permitted to use the park for hiking, biking, fishing, cross country skiing and other activities, though camping and swimming remain off limits due to budget cuts.
    The 650-acre park had closed in January 2010 because of the county’s money problems, but the facility reopened with scaled-back amenities that March.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Council Meeting
    March 13, 2012 6:01 PM Emergency Management Agency Building, Water Street, Wilkes-Barre
    Luzerne County Council Meeting

March 13, 2012 6:01 PM Emergency Management Agency Building, Water Street, Wilkes-Barre, someone please check me on this as to this "is" the correct monthly meeting open to the gen public...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    So lee can we still ride during the week or will we get a fine....the red section of writing confused me as if we are allowed to walk and hike in the park on weekdays now?

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    My take is...

...just like the dike and the 7 Tubs park we are allowed those activities at Moon Lake, I just highlighted the type in red.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Idea! Opening Day of Trout 4/14 2012 let's keep it open, so the PFC can stock it

Opening Day of Trout 4/14 2012 let's keep it open, so the PFC can stock it! please email the PFC and tell them you like to fish at Moon Lake, remember if they have lots of support they will continue to stock the lake!

Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission Home Page

Here is the direct link to email your comments:
    The Fishing Hole / Contact the Commission

Even if you don't fish, it's another way of keeping the park open!
    License sales = stocked fish!

Here's my submission to the PFC:

Please keep Moon Lake park(Luzerne County) stocked with trout as in the past, there is a great following of anglers in that area!

Thanks for all you do
    Lee Curry

wounded knee
    Lee:
    Our Service Manager was telling me today one of his friends is commissioned and is doing a study of the park and what it is going to take to revitalize it, and he said his words were that it is a mess, he couldn't believe none of the trees were cleaned up from the Hurricane thats one of the first things that is going to be cleaned up, I'll try to find out more info.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    That really grinds my gears!! I will contribute in any way possible to help keep the park going.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    But can they police it? with budget cuts probably not...take advantage and ride anyway!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Listen boys and girls...

...this is my third time to this dance!

They aren't coming out, to throw us out!

Mt biking is a huge part of the park. We have a new home rule council to work with. It's not their fault there is no money. There is a plan to gather money to do things in the park in the future. I know from the inside they are willing to work, so lets give'em a chance. Act responsible(not that anyone here hasn't now or in the past your all champions in my book)

It's just another step in big story of the park, were involved. I tried to post every resource I had thought of. If you have ideas throw them out now, go to the meetings. Continue spreading the truth of this great place we have. It only adds to the overall future of the park!

"We're all in this together"
    Red Green