Ride da mOOn Moderator

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Moon Lake Park MTB Weekend 9/13-14

MTB Weekend at MLP will be 9/13-14

First let me apologize to Rattling Creek Single Trackers for being on the same weekend, but this is the only weekend the park would give me, on short notice, I promise it will be different next year and we will do all we can to respect & support RCST.

The moon Lake Park MTBW will have Mt Bike rides, hikes, kayaking on the lake, swimming, fishing, disc golf, camping and other fun events.

I will update as more events align!

Supergirl on Edge of the Ledge Trail

Attached Images Attached Images

Ride da mOOn Moderator

MLP 08MTBW update and flyer

Moon Lake Park 40th Anniversary
    1st annual MTB Weekend September 13th -14th 2008

Moon Lake Park located in Luzerne County Pa turns 40 this year. In celebration of this historic year many events are planned. The weekend of September 13th and 14th the Park will host its 1st annual MTB weekend.

Throughout the summer a cooperative effort with Moon Lake Park staff and North Eastern PA Mt Biking Association/ PA Recreational Trail Services (NEPMTBA/PARTS) a trail system has been designed and constructed to allow more sustainable Mt. biking and hiking throughout the park. With the trail system now in place all are invited to enjoy the many features the park has to offer.
    The events will be as follows: mountain biking, hiking, disc golf, and radio controlled airplane flying and geocashing demos. Please bring your Mt bikes, camping gear, Frisbees and beverages as it will be a weekend of fun for all. There will be fire pits available for campfires. Cliff Madrack, park director has arranged free camping, hot dogs and hamburgers on Saturday night

Events schedule, September 13-14, 2008
    Saturday September 13th
    10:00 A.M., NEPMTBA/PARTS members including Chuck Kovach, Tyler Kovach, Gary Mikulski, and Lee Curry, and crew will lead rides on all of the wonderful mountain bike trails at the park. Tyler Kovach and Gary Mikulski our resident racers will lead the faster pace group while Lee Curry and Chuck Kovach will lead the more leisurely paced second group. The rides will be on 10 miles of technical single and dual track lasting about 2 hours with rest breaks. Please bring safety gear, helmets and hydration.
    11:00 A.M, Nikki Banfield, park naturalist, will lead a hike on new trails through the park. Bring snacks and water.
    2:00 P.M, Wyoming Valley Radio Flyers Club will perform a demonstration. They will also provide a plane if you want to try your hand at the remote and learn to fly.
    4:00 P.M, NEPMTBA/PARTS crew will lead another ride of the mountain bike trails in the park.
    Sunday September 14th
    10:00 A.M, and 2:00 P.M, NEPAG, Northeastern PA Geocachers will provide a demonstration. Learn how to use a GPS and find a prize.
    11:00 A.M, NEPMTBA/PARTS crew will lead a final ride for mountain bikers.
    12:00 P.M, Nikki Banfield will take another group out hiking.

Please follow all park rules - quiet hour is 10:00 P.M.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NEPMTBA; 08-25-2008 at 05:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    1:00 A.M, Nikki Banfield, park naturalist, will lead a hike on new trails through the park. Bring snacks and water.
    I know Nikki leading a 1AM hike would be fun, but I think you have a typo there. You did the same thing with Sunday as well. It looks like there will be plenty to do. Let's hope for good weather.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    That's too funny...

...she typed that up and set it to me for me to add and edit it!

Maybe she really wants to walk around at 1 in the morning at the mOOn.

I guess we have to fix that now don't we?

LOL!

mtbr member
    Its going to rain all weekend, is this event still going to take place?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yes. The soil there so far in my experience wholly unaffected by rain. The slick conditions will add some excitement to the rocky areas for sure, but overall I'd expect conditions to be good. Last weekend the morning after the rain there was zero mud on the trails. Temperatures look very good. I'm not sure what the geocachers or RC plane people do in the rain, but I don't expect it will stop the bikes.

I have to get going now to make sure I am all packed and ready to roll out tomorrow. I hope to see you there, say hi if you spot me. I'm the one in the picture going off the rock.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Well it's in the books year one MLPMTBW and the weekend was great! We ride rain, snow. or shine anyways so it didn't matter much what the weatherman forecast and as usual he was wrong again. Saturday was overcast and Sunday was beautiful day!

What a great time with many new and old friends!

Thanks to all who helped make it loads of fun

Pics are coming!

Can't wait till next year!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

good time

I had a blast for the portion I attended. Thanks to all who put it together. look forward to more events, rides, workdays. Ride On.....

mtbr member

Had a prior Committment....

Hey I have been hearing great things about Moon Lake! Lots of people talkin about the trails and ridin'. I went to the RCST weekend but hopefully will make the next Mountain Biking festival at Moon Lake. Thanks to all of those who have put together another legal spot to mountain bike in the area. Ride On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Thanks to all who were/are responsible for everything regarding mountain biking going on at Moon Lake! A great time was had both on the trails and just hanging out afterwards. And the food was an unexpected bonus. Thanks again!!!!

Mike

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

All Mt Bike riders, hikers, geocachers

It here!
    Trails built!
    Trails are open!
    Come on down and ride/hike/geocache!
    Park management welcomes you!
    They love to see you enjoying the great park we have!

Remember park gates are locked at dusk, night riding is allowed! park outside the main gate on the dirt road and catch the trail right inside the main gate at Nature's Way trail.