Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! Moon Lake Park Luzerne County Pa

Moon Lake

Saturday 6/29/08 was a banner day for Mt. Biking in Luzerne County. Charles Kovach and Lee Curry loaded up their mt bikes to do a bit of riding. Arriving at Moon Lake park located between Dallas and Hunlock's Creek, a true hidden gem. Visiting the park office to ask permisson to ride, gain info, and the rules of the park was our first step. We met with the Park Manager Clifford Madrak. After a breif conversation, he surprised us by asking if we would like to be invited to help with the trail system. We agreed and the next step was to meet with the park naturalist Nikki Banfield. Nikki explained she had time and asked if we wanted a tour of the trails. Again we agreed with our jaws hanging open. The place is amazing with lot's of features and levels of elevation that made us drool even more. There is huge potential at Moon Lake. Plans also include by 2010 to commect this with the Lackawanna Forest and further to the Susquehanna Warrior Trail in lower Plymouth.

We spent 3 hours touring the entire park with Nikki and her 4 German Sheperd Dogs she personally trains for Poilce use! Talk about feeling safe, surrounded by dogs who listen to every command Nikki gives them. All in total we toured about 10 miles of trails that all ready exist, but are in need of cleaning and removal of trees fallen by recent wind damage. Then it was back to the Nature Center to finalize our plans. We formulated a plan with Clifford Madrak's approval that includes: Charles Kovach Trail Advisor, Lee Curry as Trail Leader in charge of all trail work and Tyler Kovack Trail Tester overseeing we keep it all in spec. Nikki is excited to work with us and looked forward to seeing the results of our work with work starting Sunday 6/29/08 many of the trails will quickly shape up and be clear once again. I'm sure we will have lot's of pics and stories from the trenches as this new Mt Biking area gains popurlarity. It won't be long and we will have another place to Mt Bike in Luzerne County, Moon Lake Park a True Hidden Gem!

Last edited by NEPMTBA; 06-28-2008 at 10:46 PM.

mtbr member

Good job!

That's awesome! BTW I saw you driving down rt.29 today - you must have been on your way back from there. You need a group e-mail system or something as it seems that I'm always a day late and a dollar short on the work sessions. I can only check the NEPMTBA website once a week or so due to it causing seizures and all....

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Thanks Mike:

Great Place! You know how we talked about some people like to build trails and other people like to ride trails. Well, I did this with a different faction of the NEPMTBA group. Charles Kovach was very instrumental in organizing this plan. We spoke lot's in the last few weeks. In fact the forming of my new group "PARTS" Pa Recreational Trails Services is more inline with Trail Building. I know this expansion will work well as I have had the support many to go in this direction. Frances Slocum was existing trails, Nature Conservancy Moosic Mountain was new trails, and now Moon Lake is both! I would be honored if you and Brian would build one of your famous "Lolly Pop" trails at Moon lake. You can even name it! I have told Nikki about you guys and the fact your handi work can be seen at the other county park, 7 Tubs. In the future we can discuss this more in person.

Back to the Hidden Gem...

I will be holding an official work day in the near future for Moon Lake Park. Today was the first chance we had to work with the naturalist, Nikki so we had to get to know each other. We spent the entire day in the woods within feet of each other. She's great! Shes a ball of fire who just doesn't stop. When you saw me I was going to get more supplies. I went back and we worked till 8 pm and it was a storm that chased us out, not lack of desire. There was no official workday announced, so you didn't miss anything. There is lot's of potential. I will post more as we have a better hold on work completed. We have roughly 4 miles semi open now and one trail is completely new. Chuck, and Tyler and others constructed sections including skinnys and logovers on the trails. The park has many elevation changes including very steep drops and rock ledges. There will be extreme section that will thrill all.

mtbr member

Great news! Moon Lake Park...

Well what a surprise tonight as I opened up the PA site to find your thread on Moon Lake. It really sounds like another great opportunity to ride locally and legally. Lee and the Kovatch crew, kudos to all of you for opening up Moon Lake. Let me know when you plan a work day as I would be glad to help. Ride On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffSkisMontana
    Well what a surprise tonight as I opened up the PA site to find your thread on Moon Lake. It really sounds like another great opportunity to ride locally and legally. Lee and the Kovatch crew, kudos to all of you for opening up Moon Lake. Let me know when you plan a work day as I would be glad to help. Ride On!
    Jeff:

The area is very similar and I would also be honored to have the Mt. Top crew build a trail in their style. I would say we are all very blessed to have many nice places and friends to ride with!!!!!!!!!!! As I worked today I though of the other places I have helped construct trails and the twisty turny Mt Top loop kept playing in my head like a movie. Please come work your magic at Moon Lake!!!!!

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nice work Lee! Fahn

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn
    Nice work Lee! Fahn
    Larry:

I know it's a drive for ya, but I hope you can come ride it sometime and bring the guys. Since Nikki is open to sections maybe we can get a Hubbard/Larrry Fahn type of section by you guys also!

ROCKS - They do a Body GOOD!

mtbr member
    Possibly! We'll discuss this on Wednesnight. ttyl, Fahn

banned
    Please. People have been riding Moon Lake for years. There's nothing hidden except for the fact that someone just figured it out. Now we have new acronyms, clubs, positions, titles, and individuals addressing themselves in the third person to make it look like a cycling phenomenon. This does not even take into account a crooked park manager who was canned from every local municipality in the area as a police officer. That's great that you want to pick sticks off the trail, but get off you're high horse. People clean trails all the time and don't need to form some gay club to do it, let alone multiple clubs that have the same members. Trail Leader? WTF is that?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by The Plastic House O'Stink
    Please. People have been riding Moon Lake for years. There's nothing hidden except for the fact that someone just figured it out. Now we have new acronyms, clubs, positions, titles, and individuals addressing themselves in the third person to make it look like a cycling phenomenon. This does not even take into account a crooked park manager who was canned from every local municipality in the area as a police officer. That's great that you want to pick sticks off the trail, but get off you're high horse. People clean trails all the time and don't need to form some gay club to do it, let alone multiple clubs that have the same members. Trail Leader? WTF is that?
    Ha Ha...

Ya, Chuck figured it out not YOU! I like titles and clubs! There fun! So are the people who belong to them! So they bother you? WHY? SCARED of something? I guess your able to ride over fallen trees that totally block the path... Superman?

Look at the other posts. Those people who responded are the BEST trail builders/maintainers in the area bar none. They are why Mt Biking is totally flowing here in the valley... Moon Lake is just another place to ride and yes it has been around since 1968. Remember we were invited to help! We didn't comendeer the place.

Here'as a plan for ya. Why not show your credentials by... Stepping up... See ya at the workday and make sure your man enough to introduce yourself to all of us! Grab a rake and put your energy into help maintain something EVERYONE can enjoy! Might wanna shim up your post count there also NewBEE... LOL! I guess if you rant alot in this thread you might get it up to 12 or so... LOL!

Your annoyed by progress! You might try removing your head from your rectum! Then you could see better...

Last edited by NEPMTBA; 07-01-2008 at 12:22 PM.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Update:

All looks great for the first workday on Sunday 7/6/08. The park had many calls with people interested and coming out to help! It will be great to see everyone using this fantastic resource and gathering together to enjoy their sport, be it hiking or biking. Working together is the way!

Lee and Chuck will be at the park tonight, everyone is welcome to join, and bring your bike for a little exploration.

Thanks in advance

Lez go.
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA
    Look at the other posts. Those people who responded are the BEST trail builders/maintainers in the area bar none.
    I'd like to see them take the Pepsi Challenge vs. the Team C2G trail builders.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Plastic House O'Stink
    The Park directors past is not the question or part of the issue here. The man has managed to survive multiple years of public service through multiple situations and is still serving the public. This time he has legally opened up an area for riding, I believe it was the likes of you and your types that had been involved in his past. The problem today is that no one likes good hard-nosed work, years ago it was acceptable for a public servant to punk slap someone, now the civil libeties union is all over them. Where has that taken us, look at the amount of criimes of violence and destruction of property by disrespectful punks that have not been enforced by the "strong arm of the law" let alone by parents that would rather criticize them for their work at deterring crime and disciplining them because the parents don't have the gumption to do so.

In all it comes down to saying "Thank you Lee, Charlie and mostly Cliff for working with an organized group and giving us the chance to do something for the community that might help keep kids off the street"
    "There is a road--no simple highway"

mtbr member
    If I may add a bit here..usually I don't like to get involved in political stuff, but what the heck..it's all in fun I guess!

Those of you that are from the Luzerne County area know of the political BS that we all have been dealing with and the rampant misuse of state, county and federal funds over the years. We have been known as the "Valley of the dead and those that are going to die" for many years and most residents of this county are like sheep.

However, and no..I'm not getting off topic, just building up to the posts above, with the Courthouse ( Also known as the "DingDome") shake up that Tim Grier started it has all the politicians looking over their shoulder..for the first time in over a century I think we can say they are Sh** Scared. The FBI & Secret Service will do that to you I guess.

To say that Cliff Madrack is or was part of that system...who's to tell. I personally have dealt with the man when he was on the Wilkes-Barre Township Police Dept when he was investigating a shoplifting episode. The kid he caught told him he worked here right before he bolted and took off running across I-81. Cliff was here 3 times looking and asking..doing his job basically..in tracking the kid down. Needless to say, the kid never worked here.and I don't think he was ever caught, but the man did his best, and that leads us to Moon Lake.

Moon Lake at one time was also a political hotbed of impropriety, missing $$..you name it, it happened there...and of course all the money that was earmarked for the place never got there, ending up probably in some connected persons pocket. That's not the case now, new boats, new pavillions, instead of county workers sleeping under the trees they are out there keeping the park clean and upkept..and the desire to open the park up to Mountain Bikes..they just needed someone to point them in the right direction and show them how to do it.

I did not attend the work party this past Sunday, but the reports I got back are all 110% positive with the staff at the park, Cliff included, bending over backwards to meet the needs of the group that was there..to the point I think we had too many rakes. shovels. chain saws..or anything else.

This is by all means a good thing, esp in Luzerne County. Remember, this is the same county that 5 or so years ago..after the dike paving project was just about completed, that the then county engineer wanted to rip out all the pavement and replace it with red crushed stone because..his own words... "it would look real nice from the air". In other words, he probably had a relative in the Red crushed stone business. I will give credit to Skrep and then comish Vonderhide for giving him the "Are you out of your mind?" look and vetoing his plan immediatly.

So, what does this all mean? We here in the valley are starting to see the changes, allbeit slowly, but changes for the good in respect to the biking public..and I will include ALL the biking public, roadies, Gearheads, Mt. Bikers, ..even BMX'ers. First the dike, ok..yeah..great place for roadies and fat women with ipods crammed in their ears,...or worse, cellphones.... but..it's here! We have Slocum now, on a state level FS is the model that the state is using as far as trail maintenance and also as a selling point to gain more state park access, and this includes Hickory Run and other big places. Now we have the county with Moon Lake jumping on board....even the new Warrior Path Trail up and running along with the Anthracite Trail near completion along with the new extension of the Back Mountain Trail. An impossible dream years ago...now a reality.

Gentlemen, it can only get better, and if we as the riding public stick together, there is no reason that it will not.

Someone here was upset about all the titles, or "Flag waiving", as I call it going on over Moon Lake. To a point I will agree with that person as sometimes we are our own worst enemy..jumping the gun sometimes too quickly and making ourselves seem more important than we really are. All I ask is forgive us our sins here as I really think after all the years of putting up with the BS, the beer swilling drunkards driving Buicks and mowing people on bikes down, bad roads, no respect (Chris Stine just had a beer bottle, or gatorade bottle smashed on his head this weekend, cracking his new carbon helmet)..it's nice to see that maybe for once, we are gaining something for ourselves...so, if we carry on a bit about it, eh...we're just happy!

Kevin, Founding Member
    NEPMTBA

Owner
    Plains Bike Shop

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by tricofisher
    The Park directors past is not the question or part of the issue here. The man has managed to survive multiple years of public service through multiple situations and is still serving the public. This time he has legally opened up an area for riding, I believe it was the likes of you and your types that had been involved in his past. The problem today is that no one likes good hard-nosed work, years ago it was acceptable for a public servant to punk slap someone, now the civil libeties union is all over them. Where has that taken us, look at the amount of criimes of violence and destruction of property by disrespectful punks that have not been enforced by the "strong arm of the law" let alone by parents that would rather criticize them for their work at deterring crime and disciplining them because the parents don't have the gumption to do so.

In all it comes down to saying "Thank you Lee, Charlie and mostly Cliff for working with an organized group and giving us the chance to do something for the community that might help keep kids off the street"
    Yes, Aggreed!

This thread is about letting everyone know there is another place for them to enjoy riding their Mt Bikes, and hike. Our group likes to do trailwork, and Cliff invited us to do exactly that. There isn't anything negative in any of that. I'm sure Cliff has lot's to do! Ask any park manager! He didn't have to invite us. I don't know why anyone wouldn't want another place to ride? If we advertised the park as it was people would have complained the trails are a mess. You would ride so far and have to dismount to carry over numerous blowdowns or bushwack a social trail around the mess, and there were many, so is that enjoyable Mt Biking? Now there are not only flowy trails but even a few skill sections with optional lines containing skinnys and rock gardens, giving the user a choice, or an opportunity to try a harder line thus improving their skill if they so desire.

It's hard enough in this day for kids, heck if they come to this great park and can fish, swim, hike, play disc golf, fly remote control airplanes, visit the nature center, and now ride their bike at least they have opportunities. Tyler who is 15 and a few of his friends are helping with this project! They are raking by hand, running blowers, and weed wackers.

Remember it's a few of us who tell the story, but there are many who share in the planning, and work that makes it happen! People give up their time and day to sweat and get dirty helping make great trails for everyone to use everywhere. Moon Lake is the same now as the rest. Come and ride it!

Lez go.
    Ahhh, Cliff Madrack... busted me for underage drinking in '91.

Big Up... Chump
    May 2006
    Plastic house o stupid

Funny you talk of Mr Madrack being canned yet you just got canned from MTBR, so at least he is helping to plan and allow trails for all to ride now. What are you donig besides getting banned from MTBR YOUR RECORD STANDS!.

There are clubs and people from all waks who work to help others enjoy what they do It's not Gay or otherwise. Gay people have clubs and ride Mt Bikes as do all forms of humans. You Sir are not much of a human!

Addressing the other topics:
    Who cares what goes on in the big dome Isn't that why we grab a set of handlebars or jump in a vintage car and go enjoy the thrill of that scene? Let those who signed up to do that job handle their business. Playing second string QB won't get any of that changed. Talk as much as you want.

About the rampant road thing and the reason you road riders get stuff thrown at you is many of you think the road is your private race course. I don't know the person who was hit and I hope he is OK, but it is the moron who rides careless who reprsents your group who attracts the wrong attention to you. I have seen it time and time again blowing through stop sings, running red lights just to keep pace. How much do you get paid to risk your life? What do you win?
    HEY, IT'S NOT YOUR PRIVATE RACE COURSE. PEOPLE WHO DRIVE HAVE TO FOLLOW THE RULES AND HAVE WORKED HARD ALL DAY ARE TRYING TO GET HOME TO GET MORE DONE IN THEIRE LIVES AND I CAN SAY MORE THAN ONCE I HAVE HAD 3 A BREAST ROAD RIDERS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD REFUSING TO MOVE. ARE YOU CRAZY? WHY WOULD YOU DO SUCH A THING?

Sorry for yelling! I have a vintage Corvette and I would love to turn it loose like a scene from Starsky and Hutch, but I'm not allowed.

As a bicyclist you are the smallest, slowest, most unprotected vehicle out there so be what you are and please protect yourself cause no matter how much steam you have your no match for a 4000lb steel missle. I know there are respectable road riders and it brings me back to old school when mt bikers were the terror of the trails. They learned to respect and get along with all who use the trails. If you wanna race your road bike go through the trouble of closing a road and holding a race like the mt bikers and trail runners do!

I give props to those who stepped up and had the balls to address another park with trails! YOU GUYS ROCK!

mtbr member
    Hey ZapGap......I have over 40,000...that's right...40,000 miles on my old Vintage Paramount (upgraded of course)...and, even though at first I was getting angry with your post, I will admit..there are some roadies out there that fit your description to a "T"..and we know who they are, don't we??

But...there are those of us that really do it the right way as well...stay on the side of the road, don't act like idiots..you know, stuff that will cause even the mildest form of bluehair to go out of their minds with rage.

However, I have also met some Mt Bikers that should be thrown off the trail as well as some of them are just plain obnoxious A**holes, riding restricted trails, running down hikers (seen that personally)....so, not all the idiots are confined to the road. They are in the woods as well.

We all need to step up and police our own ranks if we really want to push cycling further..and that goes for all aspects of riding.

Thanks for the rant...time to go ridin"!

Kev

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! The first ride was great and...

...it was worth all the work everyone did!

Highlights included:

Ty wheeling the skinny #1 all the way
    The Rock Waterfall is awesome(thanks Jon Stoshick)
    Thorny Hollow has nice flow
    Big Blue is singlespeed friendly
    Nikki's Nightmare is tech fun
    Nature's Way rips

With a little over 5 miles done in one week it looks like by the end of summer the place will be full of fun filled trails.

Yes, we talked about a solar powered Mt Dew machine by the Skinnys playground trail...

See ya at the Moon on the weekend!
    Work & Rides galore!

Zap your on a roll... don't stop now!
    Did some Road Spode foul the plug on your Gas Gas? -- LOL!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZapGap165
    Plastic house o stupid

Funny you talk of Mr Madrack being canned yet you just got canned from MTBR, so at least he is helping to plan and allow trails for all to ride now. What are you donig besides getting banned from MTBR YOUR RECORD STANDS!.
    Just a question...why would "plastic" get banned? Ok, he pulled a tail here, but I see no reason for the man to get banned from the site just because he voiced his opinion on how a club should operate, or not operate.

Sorry, if he did get banned, it's not right that it was done and if it was done on our behalf, That I DO NOT AGREE WITH AT ALL and want no part of it. This forum is for everyone, and unless he came out and called us deragatory names or slandered us..he did not, I feel the ban is unjustified.

Kev

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Kev:

Who cares... his problem!

Moon Lake is open and people are riding it!

PARTS/NEPMTBA Goal accomplished!

Big Up... Chump
    May 2006
    Plains Bike

I dont have magic button nor do I know how to ban anyone! Please explain your statement of "fat women" on the dike system. First as an advertised signed founding member of NEPMTBA northeastern pa mt bike association does this statement represent your feellings? Second as a bike shopowner? How do you justify that statement?

The road bike experiances I was involved in had to do with the users following the rules of the motor vehicle code in the state of Pa not something I dreamed up. Doesn't matter what you ride do it responsibly as well as posting on a forum!

The thread created here was and is to share info and promote the work of others at Moon Lake in a positive manner for all who wish to recreate there.

Nuff said here...

mtbr member
    Didn't say you had the power...someone did however and I have emailed the staff here at MTBR to have the man re-instated.

See what happens.

Like everyone else, I call 'em as I see them...fat, skinny..whatever I am not a politically correct person...Hell, I have had fat people call themselves fat, so..get over it....and I think I can also say that I have supported Moon Lake as well as everything else we do..without the reason or cause to piss anyone off as some have tried.

Goin' ridin...again.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

tricofisher:

Good ride tonight!

That Alain really ripped it up! Glad you got out for a few miles... I hope your camping trip goes well!

See ya on the trails

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! Moon Lake update...

... One last segment of the Big Blue or perimeter loop will be ribboned and approved this week! Then the final build will commence and continue till the entire perimeter loop is finished. Estimating about a 7 to 9 mile loop with many "options and bypasses" to allow all to enjoy the trail as they wish. From hill climb challenges to skill sections this park will have it all and it's just in the beginning stages! Some segments of this trail are open and ridable now. Please bear with us during the build process as everything is going great! As soon as this is finished we will have another "Wednesday" night ride at the park!

Thanks
    NEPMTBA/PARTS

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast