Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ride da mOOn Moderator

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! mOOn Lake Park closing

mOOn lake park will close 1/28/10

Chilling out
    sux0r, even though I knew it was coming.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    We'll talk more tonight, but I want to get in contact with the other park users to try and get some people together. The RC people have a lot invested in the park for sure. http://www.wyomingvalleyrcflyers.com There are some scout groups http://nepapack232.clubspaces.com/default_css.aspx The geocachers are easy enough to find http://www.nepageocachers.org/ I would guess the rest of the people who care aren't organized other than maybe kids sports teams?

A big chunk of the day to day park users need very little other than permission to be there. So now we just need to get a big enough bribe put together and we can save the park.

Did you ever have ham?

mOOn Lake Park closing

I don't know if Petrilla or Urban would take a bribe. Skrep was the man, but the FBI had to go and spoil that! I think we should just demand that the county use some of the $5 million dollars and the tax increase to make an indoor riding park in the courthouse!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Did someone say moto park!

Did you ever have ham?

mOOn Lake Park closing

Screams Break The Silence
    Waking From The Dead Of The Night
    Vengence Is Boiling
    He's Returned To Kill The Light
    Then When He's Found Who He's Looking For
    Listen In Awe And You'll Hear Him

BARK AT THE MOON!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mOOn Lake Park closing-dsc01836.jpg  

Ride da mOOn Moderator

New question here.

Ironic is the night before the park closes Obama in a state of the union address allocates 30 billion dollars to create more jobs when the county just nixed 13 jobs...

HUM?

REHIRE THE WORKERS AND REOPEN MOON LAKE PARK

wot no bike?
    What are the assumed consequences of this park closing?
    pete

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Can we still ride at the park even after it closes?

wounded knee
    Can we get a petition together?

Do we all want to get together at the next Council meeting? I'm in!

How do we go about getting special permission?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    funny how they can close an undeveloped land area,wow clearing fallen trees or branches, you need people and a budget to keep the woods open, what a joke. There was an area of woods in my town when i was a kid,used to bmx in there every now and then ,it wasn't really a great place to ride ,especially 20" bmx.Just an abandoned church/clock tower at the top, the ride down was cool. If we had mtb's back then this place would ruled. It stayed clear all by itself, if a tree fell on a trail and there's an easy go round ,fine, if a trail user wants to clear it ,it'll happen. No friggen park rangers needed ,sure there won't be rangers to bail you out if you get injured,but that's not a real thing anyway.Just go to any park,like ringwood, get out on a remote trail and pretend you have to wait for a park ranger to rescue you,good luck, regular trailusers notifing park rangers don't count. I've never even seen a ranger(in the woods) at any park i've mountainbiked at,20 years of riding in the tri state ;ringwood,allamuchy,waywayonda,blue mtn,sprainbrook,goosepond,maylon dickerson,round valley,harrimann,ect ect, never needed a ranger. Actually there were sometimes when i did see park rangers, when they made harrimann off limits and they would patrol the parking areas to tell us we couldn't ride there anymore.

Chilling out
    NEPalphbits or somebody else should probably chime in, but THE LAST I HEARD was that the hikers 'n bikers had been given the Okay to continue use use/maintain the trail system after closing, at least until further notice. You just have to park a car (if any) outside the park since the gate(s) are closed and locked.

There's a lot of facilities at Moon Lake, and it took money to maintain and keep them up to minimal standards for a County facility. Liability exists (and probably still does) no matter. While I know that money has been and continues to be an issue for Luzerne county, it's not the only issue that was at factor in the park closing.

Getting people "organized" and getting a large quantity of tax-paying Luzerne county residents physically signing off and visibly supporting the opening of the park in 2010 can't hurt. Maybe the same crew that got that done in '09 and got the park opened last summer can take up the standard again? Dunno.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Wow, that really sucks...
    I hope they don't decide to make it completly off limits, it's a great place to ride.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

NEPMTBA is here...

... and you know we are the biggest supporter of the mOOn, but it is the riders who make us strong and in this time...

...just sitting back listenteing to others ideas and thoughts!

Keep'em coming as many others view this thread also!

How is a county that so inept it can't afford the cost to maintain it's county parks, now going to be able to police the closure of 600 acres of parkland. There's probably no greater deterrent to the place being vandalized than the mountain biking community continuing to have a presence there.

Chilling out
    jonz, keep in mind that this is the same state what ran out of money last year to pay their state employees (like highway troopers) for a while. I think Luzerne county is just exhibiting more of the symptom.

Also, I don't think it's "inept"-itude, I think it's other things, but it's all speculation and hearsay so I'll let long-term residents chime in on those issues. :P

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Ride it anyways,make a stand,with restricted budgets these days how are they going to enforce it.there are several areas that I ride that are restricted and or off limits some for many years and not once have I've been stopped or hassled.I'm all for accessibility but I refuse to submit or lay down because they say so,mtn biking in it self is a kind of a rebellion against whats considered normal as far as sports go in America,screw em keep riding.

Now broadcasting from CO
    Was the m00n one of the park axed by PA DCNR's ingenious money saving plan? Like RB Winter, Poe Paddy, etc...
    Brought to you by rocks.

Did you ever have ham?

mOOn Lake Park closing

Quote Originally Posted by PAmtbiker
    Was the m00n one of the park axed by PA DCNR's ingenious money saving plan? Like RB Winter, Poe Paddy, etc...
    Nope, unfortunately we cannot blame the state government for this one PAmtbiker. Moon Lake is a county owned park...we have to blame Luzerne county's equally ingenious bribe-taking scheme!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Fortunately you have in sweet options in Luzerne,Schuylkill and Carbon county.for 100.00 a year permit fee though Reading Anthracite you have complete access to some of the best epic single track in Pa.dirt bike riders are constantly creating new trails onto all ready an seemingly endless trail system,witch correlate nicely with mtn biking.I have yet cross paths with other mtn bikers there.it's trully one of the best kept secrets for bikers.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by readingracing
    Fortunately you have in sweet options in Luzerne,Schuylkill and Carbon county.for 100.00 a year permit fee though Reading Anthracite you have complete access to some of the best epic single track in Pa.dirt bike riders are constantly creating new trails onto all ready an seemingly endless trail system,witch correlate nicely with mtn biking.I have yet cross paths with other mtn bikers there.it's trully one of the best kept secrets for bikers.
    Agreed it's ABSOLUTELY awesome what Reading Anthracite does for off road riders, only thing is it's pretty far from here, Moon Lake is within 10 miles from the valley. But, none the less I appreciate the efforts at RA trails and support then 100 percent.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    A yellow gate wont kill my ride.

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by Nithius
    A yellow gate wont kill my ride.
    A article from yesterday's Times Leader.

http://www.timesleader.com/news/hott...term=moon+lake

Noteable quotes
    Moon Lake Park is now officially closed and off limits to the public – the victim of Luzerne County budget cuts.

"A county security guard will maintain a presence at the park during certain hours, but nobody will be permitted entry, he said."

So they can't keep it open, but they are going to pay a Security guard to patroll it?

ganginwood
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider6
    So they can't keep it open, but they are going to pay a Security guard to patroll it?

probably won't have to worry too much about that.

most likely an accountability pov. cheaper to pay a guard than to pay a law suit when someone gets hurt.

either way,,,there doesn't seem to be a winner in this equation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

trail addict
    A article from yesterday's Times Leader.

http://www.timesleader.com/news/hott...term=moon+lake

Noteable quotes
    Moon Lake Park is now officially closed and off limits to the public – the victim of Luzerne County budget cuts.

"A county security guard will maintain a presence at the park during certain hours, but nobody will be permitted entry, he said."

Wow, typical gov't BS. Sounds like it will become one of those vacant out-of-the-way places where teens go to get drunk, but law-abiding citizens are not welcome.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by ganginwood

probably won't have to worry too much about that.

most likely an accountability pov. cheaper to pay a guard than to pay a law suit when someone gets hurt.

either way,,,there doesn't seem to be a winner in this equation.
    Well, Kev it's a "LEGAL" place to ride where I see a lot of your Sickler's buddies riding!

mtbr member
    My understanding on the closure is budget, but also a lease to a natural gas co for some wells to be drilled. If thats the case, I'm sure the liability issue will skyrocket and NO one will be able to poach this fine area. If a gas co. is prospecting this area, just the nature of the project will warrant closure of the area. Sad news if thats the truth.
    2010 Surly, Curry "Pugs"
    Surly, Gray "Pugs" R.I.P.
    2010 HARO, Mary SS
    Kona "Deluxe" roadbike

mtbr member
    May 2005
    not trying to start trouble just being honest when i say that i'll still ride there this summer and i bet a lot of you reading this will as well. Just my two cents.

Blue Pig
    You guys can ride and I'll tackle and tie up the guard. Just make sure you all bring me food.
    Ragley Blue Pig

Ride da mOOn Moderator

New question here.

Oh, I don't think it's all that bad...

...they have always thought of the mt bikers as the watch dogs of the park since we can get around so well and into places off the beaten path.

Since all recreation has been cut in Luzerne county. The questions you have to ask yourself are:

What happens at the Luzerne rec soccer fields?

What happens at Seven Tubs?

Use your brain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    You guys can ride and I'll tackle and tie up the guard. Just make sure you all bring me food.
    I'm just gonna let his ass chase me the whole time...Motivation can come in many forms

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I really don't see them being able to physically boot us out. I doubt they will have guards roaming the trails and it's not like the mtb community is there to trash the place. I think we will be the people really keeping the place safe, clean, and clear of trouble.

wounded knee
    County eyes Moon Lake Park water for gas drilling

In today's paper

http://www.timesleader.com/news/Coun...2-02-2010.html

The real reason they closed the park, you can't be clear cutting forest to sell the Timber, building roads, and drilling for gas with people roaming around, we were a liability in my eyes.
    The trails will never be the same, they will be fractured beyond use after their done with them.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    May 2006
    WTF!Wonder what they will do with the money from the drilling? Like I say,moto on!

Did you ever have ham?

mOOn Lake Park closing

Quote Originally Posted by mxer
    WTF!Wonder what they will do with the money from the drilling? Like I say,moto on!
    If that is true and judging from the corruption in county government. It will like someone's pockets! Screw the taxpayers!

Born Annoyed
    This really sucks guys. I only rode out there once with Lee and Co. on a Wednesday night ride, the place was real cool. I remember hearing of big things that were planned.

I guess the leaders of the county would prefer a generation of kids that are content to sit on the Xbox or computer. Get together with all parties being effected and meet with the officials that came up with this idea. Soccer moms and football dads are voters, let the politicians know that they will not be getting your vote next election, have people that will run against them.

13 jobs eliminated only hurts the people that lost their jobs, the county will say they are saving that money, look to see where they say the savings is from and it won't be there. How about County officials don't get to take home the county vehicles? That would be a good savings. Hit the papers with other cost savings that they can't refute.

If they decide to hurt the public in order to save a couple of bucks, take them to task and hold them accountable for their actions. Moon Lake is not the only place that has natural gas.
    It's ALWAYS funny when it happens to somebody else
    Lookie at what I found- http://www.f88me.com check it out, now

wounded knee
    I would love to see all the organized people affected, bikers, hiking clubs, scouts, RC flyers, historic reanactors, ect., get together at the next Commisioner meeting to make a statement, and keep it in the Media spotlight.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i don't think drilling for natural gas and mtn biking in an area have to be mutually exclusive. Hate to put forward the opposite view, but don't you think drilling for natural gas will create more than 13 jobs? it's replacing 13 wander around in the woods jobs. I'm pretty sure 2 people full time could take care of a considerable area of wildlife level park, with proper equipment.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by herbn
    i don't think drilling for natural gas and mtn biking in an area have to be mutually exclusive. Hate to put forward the opposite view, but don't you think drilling for natural gas will create more than 13 jobs? it's replacing 13 wander around in the woods jobs. I'm pretty sure 2 people full time could take care of a considerable area of wildlife level park, with proper equipment.
    Some help: No one was wandering around the woods. The park had camping and swimming. If you ran the park how many people would you need?

Park Manager
    Secretaries
    Life Guards
    Security 24 hours a day 3 men 3 shifts
    Maintenance workers

All of these are important and you could not cut any The park "WAS" running on as few workers as it could.

One example: They closed the pool, all the people went to Frances Slocum to swim, more revenue lost for the county. I hope this gives you a better picture.

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA
    Some help: No one was wandering around the woods. The park had camping and swimming. If you ran the park how many people would you need?

Park Manager
    Secretaries
    Life Guards
    Security 24 hours a day 3 men 3 shifts
    Maintenance workers

All of these are important and you could not cut any The park "WAS" running on as few workers as it could.

One example: They closed the pool, all the people went to Frances Slocum to swim, more revenue lost for the county. I hope this gives you a better picture.

Not to mention how the Natural resources of this Park are going to be forever impacted, they are going to use the Lake for cooling the drills = POLLUTION to the water, fish kill.
    The forest will be cut through, thousands of ancient trees forever felled, to make roads for the drills and rigs, all the natural beauty, and trails will be forever fractured.
    To think that this Park will ever be the same, is dreaming, what a shame
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Did you ever have ham?

mOOn Lake Park closing

Not to mention how the Natural resources of this Park are going to be forever impacted, they are going to use the Lake for cooling the drills = POLLUTION to the water, fish kill.
    The forest will be cut through, thousands of ancient trees forever felled, to make roads for the drills and rigs, all the natural beauty, and trails will be forever fractured.
    To think that this Park will ever be the same, is dreaming, what a shame
    Dirtrider, the Duck is watching!!! I think if anything this drastic ever happens there will be alot of people on the warpath...then again it is Luzerne county. Seems like some people would rather just swill booze and piss and moan about stuff rather than get involved and do something about it! No wonder this county is in such trouble! Sorry, I just get really pissed off now and then!!!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mOOn Lake Park closing-talk-sign.jpg  

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

And...

...to go along with that...

...like a88holes...

... everyone has one...
    ... some are one...

...and bad advice is FREE also!

... LOL....

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    swim at your own risk, one person to go through the trails with a quad and or a truck and clear fallen trees. one person to approve trail construction or modifications,one person. wtf does a secretary at a park do? there shouldn't even be any paperwork,maybe a monthly or bimonthly inspection.Porta johns at the enterence ,maintained by an outside contractor. I keep thinking about the various places i ride and i think one person could run the whole thing even if there is a grassy area to be mowed everynow and then.What the heck is security in the woods,at night! are people stealing the raccoons?I know most of the trails i ride at have staff but there does seem to be an exception,there are trails in jungle habitat.There is no ranger station,no gate,not even portajohns.The trails were built and maintained by bike riding volenters, there may be some kind of staff somewhere someplace involved with the place and somehow "runs" the place from a remote location, but i've never seen anyone but trail users there. I don't see why most wilderness type parks can't be run like that.I just thought of another thing that might be covered in the jh example,there are huge areas of asphalt there,parking lots left over from the jh business days and all the access roads,if that area was being used to drill for natural gas the trails scould and should go on virtually unaffected. If anything, a few more trails to elliminate the need for crossing the asphalt and you're done. People make parks to ef'n complicated,everything has to cost money. Just think how many more riding areas there would be if it was simpler.

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by motoman465
    Dirtrider, the Duck is watching!!! I think if anything this drastic ever happens there will be alot of people on the warpath...then again it is Luzerne county. Seems like some people would rather just swill booze and piss and moan about stuff rather than get involved and do something about it! No wonder this county is in such trouble! Sorry, I just get really pissed off now and then!!!
    I have heard horror stories from our sales dept. thats deals with people that have signed over their land in hopes of getting rich from the gas drilling, one poor guy he had acres of his land set aside with expensive trees like Black Walnut, ect.. this was to be his retirement, well the Gas company's just don't care, if there's Oil there, it's coming out, they clearcut his trees, destroyed his dreams of Retirement.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

swim at your own risk, one person to go through the trails with a quad and or a truck and clear fallen trees. one person to approve trail construction or modifications,one person. wtf does a secretary at a park do? there shouldn't even be any paperwork,maybe a monthly or bimonthly inspection.Porta johns at the enterence ,maintained by an outside contractor. I keep thinking about the various places i ride and i think one person could run the whole thing even if there is a grassy area to be mowed everynow and then.What the heck is security in the woods,at night! are people stealing the raccoons?I know most of the trails i ride at have staff but there does seem to be an exception,there are trails in jungle habitat.There is no ranger station,no gate,not even portajohns.The trails were built and maintained by bike riding volenters, there may be some kind of staff somewhere someplace involved with the place and somehow "runs" the place from a remote location, but i've never seen anyone but trail users there. I don't see why most wilderness type parks can't be run like that.I just thought of another thing that might be covered in the jh example,there are huge areas of asphalt there,parking lots left over from the jh business days and all the access roads,if that area was being used to drill for natural gas the trails scould and should go on virtually unaffected. If anything, a few more trails to elliminate the need for crossing the asphalt and you're done. People make parks to ef'n complicated,everything has to cost money. Just think how many more riding areas there would be if it was simpler.

Hey, I'm not arguing with you, but Moon Lake is "NOT" a wilderness type park. Moon Lake is not what you describe as an out of the way nowhere place. You say you have been there, didn't you see camping and swimming areas? Of course, well all that has to be maintained. You know how people abuse things and someone has to clean up and take care of stuff to make it usable for the next customer. It's a business, and if you wanna make money you have to keep it running smooth. Com'on you know how people are they ask for you to bend over backwards. If little Timmy cuts his finger you better have a band-aid ready and waiting!

It takes people to run the park to allow people to use the park, and if you personally had to cut just the grass it would be a full time job for you. So, then it takes another person to maintain the grass cutting equipment? It keeps people in jobs!

Moon lake has a large number of events also from Boy Scouts, Treasure Finders, Civil War re-enactments, educational and sporting events.

More words: Rules, Insurance, and Unions... You just can't dictate your way and not expect others to willing go along with you dictatorship.

Of course the way you say you can run it you could submit your offer to the county as they are looking for someone to run the park. You could even make money running the pool and camping by yourself, without any life guards, or staff. The money you get you could defend yourself in court after you get your pants sued off due to all your liability issues... LOL

I wish your fix would work like you say, then we could all just ride more.

Here's Luzerne County's 'Request for Park Manager Proposal and Application Form.' Though the deadline has passed, it's my understanding that the county will still consider any legitimate offer.

http://www.luzernecounty.org/content...ake%20Park.pdf

Any takers?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Yikes!

Did you read that baby?

I skimmed it enough to understand why they didn't have any offers yet.

Did you ever have ham?

mOOn Lake Park closing

So, let me get this straight! You think that our natural resources should be sold out for profit! Believe me I sympathize with anyone that is out of work, being out of work since the week before last Easter....but there are some things money can't buy! Once areas like Moon Lake are raped for profit, it will never be the same again. If goverment(I am including local, state, and federal in this category)would actually be run properly without all greed and corruption this thread would not exist! I have believed for a long time and will always believe that the majority of the problems that exist today can be summed up in word...GREED!!! I am not trying to sound like a jerk, but since you seem to have this all figured out...why don't you get in touch with Luzerne county and see if you can take over the park!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast