Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Ride da mOOn Moderator

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! mOOn Lake Park closing

mOOn lake park will close 1/28/10

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    sux0r, even though I knew it was coming.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    We'll talk more tonight, but I want to get in contact with the other park users to try and get some people together. The RC people have a lot invested in the park for sure. http://www.wyomingvalleyrcflyers.com There are some scout groups http://nepapack232.clubspaces.com/default_css.aspx The geocachers are easy enough to find http://www.nepageocachers.org/ I would guess the rest of the people who care aren't organized other than maybe kids sports teams?

A big chunk of the day to day park users need very little other than permission to be there. So now we just need to get a big enough bribe put together and we can save the park.

Did you ever have ham?

mOOn Lake Park closing

I don't know if Petrilla or Urban would take a bribe. Skrep was the man, but the FBI had to go and spoil that! I think we should just demand that the county use some of the $5 million dollars and the tax increase to make an indoor riding park in the courthouse!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Did someone say moto park!

Did you ever have ham?

mOOn Lake Park closing

Screams Break The Silence
    Waking From The Dead Of The Night
    Vengence Is Boiling
    He's Returned To Kill The Light
    Then When He's Found Who He's Looking For
    Listen In Awe And You'll Hear Him

[SIZE="6"]BARK AT THE MOON!![/SIZE]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mOOn Lake Park closing-dsc01836.jpg  

Ride da mOOn Moderator

New question here.

Ironic is the night before the park closes Obama in a state of the union address allocates 30 billion dollars to create more jobs when the county just nixed 13 jobs...

HUM?

[SIZE=6]REHIRE THE WORKERS AND REOPEN MOON LAKE PARK[/SIZE]

wot no bike?
    What are the assumed consequences of this park closing?
    pete

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Can we still ride at the park even after it closes?

wounded knee
    Can we get a petition together?

Do we all want to get together at the next Council meeting? I'm in!

How do we go about getting special permission?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    funny how they can close an undeveloped land area,wow clearing fallen trees or branches, you need people and a budget to keep the woods open, what a joke. There was an area of woods in my town when i was a kid,used to bmx in there every now and then ,it wasn't really a great place to ride ,especially 20" bmx.Just an abandoned church/clock tower at the top, the ride down was cool. If we had mtb's back then this place would ruled. It stayed clear all by itself, if a tree fell on a trail and there's an easy go round ,fine, if a trail user wants to clear it ,it'll happen. No friggen park rangers needed ,sure there won't be rangers to bail you out if you get injured,but that's not a real thing anyway.Just go to any park,like ringwood, get out on a remote trail and pretend you have to wait for a park ranger to rescue you,good luck, regular trailusers notifing park rangers don't count. I've never even seen a ranger(in the woods) at any park i've mountainbiked at,20 years of riding in the tri state ;ringwood,allamuchy,waywayonda,blue mtn,sprainbrook,goosepond,maylon dickerson,round valley,harrimann,ect ect, never needed a ranger. Actually there were sometimes when i did see park rangers, when they made harrimann off limits and they would patrol the parking areas to tell us we couldn't ride there anymore.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    NEPalphbits or somebody else should probably chime in, but THE LAST I HEARD was that the hikers 'n bikers had been given the Okay to continue use use/maintain the trail system after closing, at least until further notice. You just have to park a car (if any) outside the park since the gate(s) are closed and locked.

There's a lot of facilities at Moon Lake, and it took money to maintain and keep them up to minimal standards for a County facility. Liability exists (and probably still does) no matter. While I know that money has been and continues to be an issue for Luzerne county, it's not the only issue that was at factor in the park closing.

Getting people "organized" and getting a large quantity of tax-paying Luzerne county residents physically signing off and visibly supporting the opening of the park in 2010 can't hurt. Maybe the same crew that got that done in '09 and got the park opened last summer can take up the standard again? Dunno.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Wow, that really sucks...
    I hope they don't decide to make it completly off limits, it's a great place to ride.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

NEPMTBA is here...

... and you know we are the biggest supporter of the mOOn, but it is the riders who make us strong and in this time...

...just sitting back listenteing to others ideas and thoughts!

Keep'em coming as many others view this thread also!

How is a county that so inept it can't afford the cost to maintain it's county parks, now going to be able to police the closure of 600 acres of parkland. There's probably no greater deterrent to the place being vandalized than the mountain biking community continuing to have a presence there.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    jonz, keep in mind that this is the same state what ran out of money last year to pay their state employees (like highway troopers) for a while. I think Luzerne county is just exhibiting more of the symptom.

Also, I don't think it's "inept"-itude, I think it's other things, but it's all speculation and hearsay so I'll let long-term residents chime in on those issues. :P

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Ride it anyways,make a stand,with restricted budgets these days how are they going to enforce it.there are several areas that I ride that are restricted and or off limits some for many years and not once have I've been stopped or hassled.I'm all for accessibility but I refuse to submit or lay down because they say so,mtn biking in it self is a kind of a rebellion against whats considered normal as far as sports go in America,screw em keep riding.

Now broadcasting from CO
    Was the m00n one of the park axed by PA DCNR's ingenious money saving plan? Like RB Winter, Poe Paddy, etc...
    Brought to you by rocks.

Did you ever have ham?

mOOn Lake Park closing

Quote Originally Posted by PAmtbiker
    Was the m00n one of the park axed by PA DCNR's ingenious money saving plan? Like RB Winter, Poe Paddy, etc...
    Nope, unfortunately we cannot blame the state government for this one PAmtbiker. Moon Lake is a county owned park...we have to blame Luzerne county's equally ingenious bribe-taking scheme!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Fortunately you have in sweet options in Luzerne,Schuylkill and Carbon county.for 100.00 a year permit fee though Reading Anthracite you have complete access to some of the best epic single track in Pa.dirt bike riders are constantly creating new trails onto all ready an seemingly endless trail system,witch correlate nicely with mtn biking.I have yet cross paths with other mtn bikers there.it's trully one of the best kept secrets for bikers.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by readingracing
    Fortunately you have in sweet options in Luzerne,Schuylkill and Carbon county.for 100.00 a year permit fee though Reading Anthracite you have complete access to some of the best epic single track in Pa.dirt bike riders are constantly creating new trails onto all ready an seemingly endless trail system,witch correlate nicely with mtn biking.I have yet cross paths with other mtn bikers there.it's trully one of the best kept secrets for bikers.
    Agreed it's ABSOLUTELY awesome what Reading Anthracite does for off road riders, only thing is it's pretty far from here, Moon Lake is within 10 miles from the valley. But, none the less I appreciate the efforts at RA trails and support then 100 percent.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    A yellow gate wont kill my ride.

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by Nithius
    A yellow gate wont kill my ride.
    A article from yesterday's Times Leader.

http://www.timesleader.com/news/hott...term=moon+lake

Noteable quotes
    Moon Lake Park is now officially closed and off limits to the public the victim of Luzerne County budget cuts.

"A county security guard will maintain a presence at the park during certain hours, but nobody will be permitted entry, he said."

So they can't keep it open, but they are going to pay a Security guard to patroll it?

ganginwood
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider6
    So they can't keep it open, but they are going to pay a Security guard to patroll it?

probably won't have to worry too much about that.

most likely an accountability pov. cheaper to pay a guard than to pay a law suit when someone gets hurt.

either way,,,there doesn't seem to be a winner in this equation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider6
    A article from yesterday's Times Leader.

http://www.timesleader.com/news/hott...term=moon+lake

Noteable quotes
    Moon Lake Park is now officially closed and off limits to the public the victim of Luzerne County budget cuts.

"A county security guard will maintain a presence at the park during certain hours, but nobody will be permitted entry, he said."

Wow, typical gov't BS. Sounds like it will become one of those vacant out-of-the-way places where teens go to get drunk, but law-abiding citizens are not welcome.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast