Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Moon Lake Park

Ride da mOOn Moderator

No good Moon Lake Park

Went to Moon Lake yesterday...

...parked outside the main gate as the gates are closed, noticed quad tracks going around the gate into the park, followed to investigate, as I got to the office a security gaurd came out and said. "No one is allowed in the park, we have no insurance and they are loking for someone to take it over. I feel bad for you guys, but please understand they are going to drill for gas"

He was nice to me and didn't have an attitude if that makes any differance!

ride

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Holy crap ! That sucks.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    So, park on Pavlick then?

Seriously, bummer.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    So, park on Pavlick then?

Seriously, bummer.
    Parking isn't the problem!

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Well, what's the general opinion, poachable or not ?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I'm sure the official word is not, being that they've taken the time, energy, and money to post a guard.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    MOTO park is now open!BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP PPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Is that why they're closing it? To drill for natural gas? At least it's a greener energy source than the coal for which they've been raping the landscape for so many years. Sucks to lose trails though. I was hoping to check out Moon this year, too.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by tduro
    Is that why they're closing it? To drill for natural gas? At least it's a greener energy source than the coal for which they've been raping the landscape for so many years. Sucks to lose trails though. I was hoping to check out Moon this year, too.
    tduro:

How have you been, got SNOW?

It was closed due to budget cuts, and even with drilling it is not lost as the drilling company will driill then leave, what will be next is the question if this even happens. Gas only burns claener, the process to extract it is just as bad if not worse than removing coal from the ground.

Officials said in the paper they would not allow the park to be compromised.

Google "Marcells Shale" to find out how they do this.

The jury's still out on this one.

Hydraulic Fracturing
    Crazy environmentalists... maybe, but it's interesting that the entire NYC watershed (which is huge) is presently off limits for drilling, due to drinking water contamination worries. With the Pikes Creek Reservoir right downhill from Moon Lake Park, I'm glad I won't be drinking that water.

Jason
    Bummer. I haven't had a chance to ride Moon yet.
    Jason

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I can't see where it's a good idea for the enviroment or water supply. But, they should be making enough money to keep it open if their pimping it out too gas companys?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by wyatt79m
    I can't see where it's a good idea for the enviroment or water supply. But, they should be making enough money to keep it open if their pimping it out too gas companys?
    Alas, if only enough people on the committee (council, whatever) were INTERESTED in keeping the park open at all.

*sigh*

Gravity's Gone
    Glad we got to go one last time a few weeks ago.

i moto too
    Dec 2008
    sorry to hear about the park. really enjoyed riding there the couple times i was able to. does it look like there is any chance something could be worked out in the future to still be able to ride/use the park? best wishes to the people who lost their jobs too (i'm sure it sux for them even more).

Jason
    I find it kind of suspicious that they close the park due to a supposed lack of funding and then all of sudden they want to start searching for gas on the property... not to mention the 15% tax hike we got hit with. It's great to have to pay for their mistakes and inability to manage a county. Greedy, every single one of them!
    Jason

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dexetr30
    I find it kind of suspicious that they close the park due to a supposed lack of funding and then all of sudden they want to start searching for gas on the property... not to mention the 15% tax hike we got hit with. It's great to have to pay for their mistakes and inability to manage a county. Greedy, every single one of them!
    I agree!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA
    tduro:

How have you been, got SNOW?
    Yeah we do.

The BC skiing has been fabulous, and will be for some time. I was out with a MTB bud of mine, and he commented on how strange it was that there weren't more MTB'ers into BC skiing, as the two go hand in hand.

Any good BC skiing up your way?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Yeah we do.

The BC skiing has been fabulous, and will be for some time. I was out with a MTB bud of mine, and he commented on how strange it was that there weren't more MTB'ers into BC skiing, as the two go hand in hand.

Any good BC skiing up your way?
    Ya...

... tons of it!

Did you ever have ham?

Moon Lake Park

Yeah, those commercials are very misleading! If you are just looking at how clean gas burns then yes it is a very clean and friendly fuel! Now look at the processess used to extract that "clean" fuel. Just do a little research on-line. Here is one that I checked out after seeing it on the Keep Moon Lake Open page on Facebook. It is about a little town in Texas called Dish, near Denton.

http://txsharon.blogspot.com/2009/10...to-dishtx.html

These companies don't care what they do to the environment as long as they make their profits. I am sure any fines levied against them for violations are considered "Collateral Damage!"
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Not saying you're wrong, but that article was so horribly written that it can only serve to defeat its own purpose. Not one statement is supported with facts or evidence. They imply a lot of cause/effect relationships, but they don't actually come out and state them. Seems they have no way to support their statements; otherwise they would.

For example, by what process are emissions "boiled" out of facilities? What substance is heated to its boiling point, and why? And by what facilities? And what composes those emissions? And what's with the "scalded trees"? What scalded them, the mysterious "boiling emissions"? Sorry, but I'll need more facts before I pass judgment. I'd also need to know how the natural gas extraction process, combined with the burning of said fuel, compares with the extraction and burning of coal, in terms of total environmental impact.

Here's the article for those who wish to judge it on its own merits.

"The people in DISH are breathing moth balls! Well, that's only one of the many dangerous chemicals. Carbon Disulfide might be what makes the baby animals go to sleep and never wake up.

Alisa Rich, Principal, Wolf Eagle Environmental Engineers and Consultants is giving a presentation on the study that showed "amazing and very high levels" of carcinogens and neurotoxins in DISH.

Eidt: Alisa Rich delivered the most horrifying news to DISH citizens about health affects they can expect from exposure to such high concentrations of chemicals. It was overwhelming and highly technical but her delivery was peppered with well-placed humor and grace making the bad news as palatable as possible.

I'm not going to even pretend that I understand all this but it's scary as hell. Here are some things Alisa found that I do understand:

"Dead plants...scalded trees...lots of dead plant materials"

Even cedar trees die in DISH! I didn't think ANYTHING could kill cedar trees but there sure are a lot of dead cedars here in DISH.

While we were out doing the Flir GasFinder camera demo today we saw emissions BOILING out of these facilities. It's right next to a horse farm where there are many sick horses.

Alisa is urging DISH residents to complete the health survey. She is explaining the health affects of all these chemicals.

Please pray for the residents of DISH. Please pray for the residents in all areas where natural gas development occurs.

Clean energy? Are we sure we want this for our bridge fuel?

Did you know that the oil and gas industry has broad exemptions from all our federal environmental laws that lets them pollute and harm public health and safety?

Update: Some of the chemicals travel for miles.

The chemicals end up in our soil and water.

Children breathe more or have a higher transfer rate of oxygen so they absorb chemicals faster and more."

Did you ever have ham?

Moon Lake Park

Thank you, tduro! You are right, that article makes some claims without any proof to back them up...it could be a newspaper editorial. I did a google search for Marcellus Shale and came up with a much better article with facts to back up what they are speaking of, along with some links to further information. Enjoy the read!

http://www.catskillmountainkeeper.org/node/290
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Soooooo do we know if it's just a guard at the gate? It's not very hard to access the trails without going in sight of the main gate. Not saying that I would do this or condone stealthy activity

mtbr member

Moon Park RIP

I left NEPA a year ago and while I had and still have very mixed feelings about the area, on the positive was the mountain biking scene and the wonderful friends I made riding there. When I left it seemed like the developement of the Moon Lake Park/Log Flume corridor had the promise to make the area a mountain biking destination. I was sad to hear of the threatened closure but proud when the mountain bike community led the charge to save the moon. To hear all this and the strong implication that the park was killed due to a hidden agenda to do gas exploration is just sickening. I hope that it does not casue the environmental devastation that you have described but I am afraid the predictions are right. I was always struck at how beautiful the countryside was once you get out of the mining zone. The thought of that expanding outward is just breaks my heart.

Docjohn

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I think that it is very unfortunate for all outdoor lovers. Moon was like a hiden gem in our area and now many will never get to know the potential that it stored for their activities. I have heard many good things and many bad things about the drilling around the area. If it is strictly regulated it has the potential to limit its impact on the environment. It also could generate some revenue for Luzerne county. But a professor of mine, who owns land out by Moon and attends meetings on the drilling subject, said that the county failed to institute a necessary tax on the possible pipeline construction and any gas that is stored until a pipeline is built. So it seems that once again the county has started its blunders before the project has even gotten off the ground.

There are also a lot of areas where exploratory drilling was carried out but no gas was found and supposedely the companies did an excellent job restoring the area to almost normal after it left. So if it happens lets hope no gas, and a company that will get some nice trees back into the park.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast