mtbr member

Moon Lake Drilling Issues

Just got off the phone with Chuck Kovach and he asked me to relay this out to everyone.

Seems like the drilling issues will not die at ML as there is now another company supposedly moving in and ready to take on the Sierra Club and basically fight them with money...lots of money and supposedly the county is lining up behind the drilling company as I'm sure that there was alot of money promises made in what is the most corrupt county in America,

Chuck stated that there are new stations and news papers going to be at the main gate today at noon, so..if anyone is available, be there to show support for the park and opposition with the drilling...or, you may lose it again, this time permanently.

I know it's short notice, but as I walked in the door from Slocum my phone rang from Chuck with the news.
    Facebook.com/Plains Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Which politician do I send my hate mail to

mtbr member
    All of them. ttyl, Fahn

ride more
    Mar 2007
    This sucks

mtbr member
    that sucks .. i haven't even had the chance to ride up there yet ...

mtbr member
    Well..I'm trying to get more info on this...and it is really strange that this did not get out to the public via newspapers and stuff...and I have yet to see anything.....unless...Sunday's paper carries it.

The way things are with the opposition against all this I doubt if you will see anything happen quickly.....and if the Sh** hits the fan in the media you most likely not see it at all as I really doubt if these 3 stooges (although I have respect for Urban) will survive the scrutiny or any other election. What the key here is that has to be done is any sort of contract, wether legal or not...must be stopped before it is signed, and I believe this meeting upset the applecart on the whole plan to keep this under wraps.

Chuck said he'll update me as soon as he gets more info.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Thanks, please keep us posted....

mtbr member
    Kev. Thanks for informing us of this stuff. If it wasn't for people like you, Chuck, and the Sierra Club, Moon lake would be closed for good. Keep us informed. Ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    Thanks Fahn...I'll do my best here.

Interestingly today this article made front page in the Times-Leader

http://www.timesleader.com/news/Gran...4-04-2010.html

..and since I am always one for reading between the lines, the one paragraph quoting Doug Pape has raised my curiosity..

"County Chief Clerk/Manager Doug Pape said in an e-mail the grants are on hold until “a decision is made on Moon Lake” because another company is supposed to submit a proposal."

A proposal for what?

Also the last paragraph about the state taking over the 7Tubs area I find questionable at best as I know just from working with the FS people that I don't think the state is taking over anything at this time. However, I am not privy to all the info that is out there and if someone knows anything about that by all means add it here.

I will be honest, and it's no secret that I am not a frequent visitor to ML..in a matter of fact yesterday was my first time ever in the park on the trails. I've only seen a fraction of what is there but I left impressed. A lot of work went in to the system and I will always give credit where it's due. Damn good job!

At the same time I feel gratified that I have been asked by Chuck K. to help out, at least with the internet news and getting it out, which I will continue to do so.

Lol..."Kev was here"

mtbr member
    A little good news as it looks as if at least one company has opted out of doing anything at Moon Lake Park. Also, included in the article is some interesting facts about how the park can be used, something I'm sure the commissioners don't want people to know about.

http://www.timesleader.com/news/Ener...4-11-2010.html

mtbr member
    Good news

mtbr member
    Yes it is..and I have some more.

#1. Just got off the phone with Chuck K.....as of yesterday the park is now open 8am to 8pm. Also, according to the Times-leader today, fishing and other activities are being included as of now.

http://www.timesleader.com/news/Coun...4-11-2010.html

#2. He also informed me that there is no drilling company, after the latest to pull out, is interested in going anywhere near the park as it would bring unwanted publicity...to them it's not worth it. However I wouldn't say this is any victory to be checked off in the "win" column yet. IE: Trust no one, esp Luzerne County Government.

#3. According to Chuck, there are 2 individuals that are very close to coming to an agreement with said politicians for management of the park back along the lines of a full service recreational park. More on this as it develops...most likely by Wensday we should have more info.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    tanks for the update.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Plains Bike
    Yes it is..and I have some more.

#1. Just got off the phone with Chuck K.....as of yesterday the park is now open 8am to 8pm. Also, according to the Times-leader today, fishing and other activities are being included as of now.

http://www.timesleader.com/news/Coun...4-11-2010.html

#2. He also informed me that there is no drilling company, after the latest to pull out, is interested in going anywhere near the park as it would bring unwanted publicity...to them it's not worth it. However I wouldn't say this is any victory to be checked off in the "win" column yet. IE: Trust no one, esp Luzerne County Government.

#3. According to Chuck, there are 2 individuals that are very close to coming to an agreement with said politicians for management of the park back along the lines of a full service recreational park. More on this as it develops...most likely by Wensday we should have more info.

Seems to be a positive note on current politics. Moon is such a rare find.
    2010 Surly, Curry "Pugs"
    Surly, Gray "Pugs" R.I.P.
    2010 HARO, Mary SS
    Kona "Deluxe" roadbike