Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Moon Lake Conditions...

....anyone know what it might be like tomorrow(Sat) at the Moon? Wondering if they got substantial snowfall. Thanks
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    How much did you get up in your hood?

Not all that much down here in the valley.

mtbr member

I would say...

....not too much but just enough to make it very interesting....so at 1600 feet we got about 3 inches.....not sure of up at 2000......guessing maybe 4.5 inches. Was thinking the Moon may have gotten less.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

snow

All I`ll say is everyone should get FATBIKES-pugs-mukluk-fatback(I have one) 907 wildfire they are all good & a blast in the snow or on snowmobile trails ,I just did a lap around prompton after work with my lights.I did a small group fatbike ride up at mttop rite after christmas before the rain came.I think it would be kool to do more fatbike group rides,so come on everybody do what ya have to do to get a fatbike think snow KP

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I rode Roaring Creek today, there's about 3 inches of nice crunchy snow.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I live about 15 minutes from the Moon. We got close to 4 today, with another inch or so tonight possible. It's a light powder. I will probably head there tomorrow.

mtbr member

Gonna ride.....

.....Thanks everyone for the weigh in on possible snow depth at the Moon. Gonna ride Mtn Top at 1pm....it should be interesting.....anyone wanna join us pm me....or just show up.....hope the fatbikes have layed a track for us.....Ride On!

mtbr member

Still SNowing .......

....up on the Mountain....were going skiing at Nescopeck SP at 1:15pm instead of riding.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Jeff, it snowed on us today at the moon, but the riding was good. We stopped off at the Berwick Brewery on our way home, had a hondo and an IPA good stuff as usual.

mtbr member

ahhhh ....that sounds good...

Quote Originally Posted by wyatt79m
    Jeff, it snowed on us today at the moon, but the riding was good. We stopped off at the Berwick Brewery on our way home, had a hondo and an IPA good stuff as usual.
    Just good to be outside today in the cold....the xc skiing was pretty good...the scenery and hush from the snow was priceless......last week after shooting we hit Berwick Brew....brought home a growler of the Hondo.....

(1/12/11) I had planned to hit Moon tonight, but thinking the snow might be too deep after last night's snowfall. Post an update if you've got one!

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I'm curious as well...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Looking to ride at Moon Lake this weekend, and I was wondering what the conditions are ????????

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    3-6 inches of powdery snow. I was just there and the gate was closed, and with my car couldn't find much of a place to park. Ended up going to the State Forest on Mizdail instead. Ankle deep snow that was very light and dry.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    rode. tried to ride today, some places almost impossible like behind RC field, places where snowshoes went not too bad but still hard, anywhere the security vehicle drove proviided good hard pack, my suggestion is some one with a snow mobile needs to pack the trails down(kidding) or just maybe a small army of people with snow shoes could pack down a good loop, once it's packed it's easy to ride on, still need the largest tires you can fit on your bike and lower the pressure, riding is not good many places, seek out where snowmobiles go they should pack the snow, i wonder if bikes can ride at ricketts glen on the snomobile trails there? the park isn't friendly to mt bikers but they'll let snow mobiles ride there, yeah i'll shut up now

mtbr member

Good time to....

....break out the XC skis.....i would venture to say most Mtn Bikers would enjoy XC skiing....the equipment has improved in the past few years .....skiing at night is really fun too just like Mtn Biking at night....you won't believe the visibility with the snow reflecting your headlamps....btw...it is easy to convert your riding lights to skiing lights....and most of the winter riding gear works just fine for XC skiing. Slide On!

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by slowdave
    seek out where snowmobiles go they should pack the snow, i wonder if bikes can ride at ricketts glen on the snomobile trails there? the park isn't friendly to mt bikers but they'll let snow mobiles ride there, yeah i'll shut up now
    Starting to plan a ride on the 23rd in Forest City, on the old D&H railway, it is a bike/snowmobile trail, and I'm told it's nice and packed down, you can get in a good 40 miles if you wanted to.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

wounded knee
    Any updates on the conditions at Moon Lake?
    Wondering if anyone is snowshoeing or XC skiing.
    Wyatt scored a Pugsley, and were looking for a place to ride on Sunday.
    I might take a trip up Saturday and check it out.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I haven't been out there during this past week, but I've been XC skiing there for the previous three weekends.

Last weekend, there was about 4" of snow on top of crust, which was on top of 3-6" of snow.

The only sign of traffic on the singletrack were XC ski tracks (I'm not the only sick-o), and some snowshoe - but NOT much.

Nature's Way 1 & 2 to Deacon were basically XC-ski-tracked singletrack.

The access road in from the service area, around to the campground, had been traversed by some kind of 4x4 (truck, not atv, based upon track width) *and* at least one snow-mobile. The truck tracks could be biked, maybe the snow-mobile track.

BUT

With the rain/sleet/thaw/freeze this week I'm wary of saying it's currently rideable.

Saturday is forecast for snow changing to freezing water in the afternoon, FYI, according to wunderground.com.

I may try to get out 1st thing in the morning, just out of desperation.

I won't be trying to take my bike though.

wounded knee
    Thanks Bear, appreciate your insight, it doesn't sound to promising.
    I'm kind of at a loss for a place to ride.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I heard there are pug tracks in n around Danville and there is always something ridable in roaring creek ?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Last year this time we were making a bunch of trips The 8 Mile Strip out in Wieser SF - Roaring Creek side. But with this "warm" rain I can't imaging it's friendly either.

Bleh.

Staring down the first weekend I haven't gotten to bike or ski in a long, long, time. ;^(

wounded knee
    I layed down the first mtb tracks in a long time at the mOOn on Sunday, started off on Natures Way 2, made it only as far as the What trail conditions are soft and deep snow, not good for riding!
    The What trail looks like no one touched it at all.

Looks like some people are using the trails for hiking, and XC sking, but only on the main trail, and not enough to really pack it down.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I've actually been over much of the upper trails on my XC skis, I have been on What once, but it wasn't that much fun on skis so I haven't been back on it.

Not surprised by the report, pretty much what I expected, but thanks for giving it a shot and letting us know. :^)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Lost alot of snow, haven;t been able to get up to LAckawanna yet, but how are conditions at moonlake, etc. Besides muddy....lol Would like to get a ride in next week, but I'm sure there a couple inches left in the woods....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast