Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Moon Lake Conditions...

....anyone know what it might be like tomorrow(Sat) at the Moon? Wondering if they got substantial snowfall. Thanks
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Chilling out
    How much did you get up in your hood?

Not all that much down here in the valley.

mtbr member

I would say...

....not too much but just enough to make it very interesting....so at 1600 feet we got about 3 inches.....not sure of up at 2000......guessing maybe 4.5 inches. Was thinking the Moon may have gotten less.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

snow

All I`ll say is everyone should get FATBIKES-pugs-mukluk-fatback(I have one) 907 wildfire they are all good & a blast in the snow or on snowmobile trails ,I just did a lap around prompton after work with my lights.I did a small group fatbike ride up at mttop rite after christmas before the rain came.I think it would be kool to do more fatbike group rides,so come on everybody do what ya have to do to get a fatbike think snow KP

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I rode Roaring Creek today, there's about 3 inches of nice crunchy snow.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I live about 15 minutes from the Moon. We got close to 4 today, with another inch or so tonight possible. It's a light powder. I will probably head there tomorrow.

mtbr member

Gonna ride.....

.....Thanks everyone for the weigh in on possible snow depth at the Moon. Gonna ride Mtn Top at 1pm....it should be interesting.....anyone wanna join us pm me....or just show up.....hope the fatbikes have layed a track for us.....Ride On!

mtbr member

Still SNowing .......

....up on the Mountain....were going skiing at Nescopeck SP at 1:15pm instead of riding.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Jeff, it snowed on us today at the moon, but the riding was good. We stopped off at the Berwick Brewery on our way home, had a hondo and an IPA good stuff as usual.

mtbr member

ahhhh ....that sounds good...

Quote Originally Posted by wyatt79m
    Jeff, it snowed on us today at the moon, but the riding was good. We stopped off at the Berwick Brewery on our way home, had a hondo and an IPA good stuff as usual.
    Just good to be outside today in the cold....the xc skiing was pretty good...the scenery and hush from the snow was priceless......last week after shooting we hit Berwick Brew....brought home a growler of the Hondo.....

(1/12/11) I had planned to hit Moon tonight, but thinking the snow might be too deep after last night's snowfall. Post an update if you've got one!

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I'm curious as well...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Looking to ride at Moon Lake this weekend, and I was wondering what the conditions are ????????

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    3-6 inches of powdery snow. I was just there and the gate was closed, and with my car couldn't find much of a place to park. Ended up going to the State Forest on Mizdail instead. Ankle deep snow that was very light and dry.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    rode. tried to ride today, some places almost impossible like behind RC field, places where snowshoes went not too bad but still hard, anywhere the security vehicle drove proviided good hard pack, my suggestion is some one with a snow mobile needs to pack the trails down(kidding) or just maybe a small army of people with snow shoes could pack down a good loop, once it's packed it's easy to ride on, still need the largest tires you can fit on your bike and lower the pressure, riding is not good many places, seek out where snowmobiles go they should pack the snow, i wonder if bikes can ride at ricketts glen on the snomobile trails there? the park isn't friendly to mt bikers but they'll let snow mobiles ride there, yeah i'll shut up now

mtbr member

Good time to....

....break out the XC skis.....i would venture to say most Mtn Bikers would enjoy XC skiing....the equipment has improved in the past few years .....skiing at night is really fun too just like Mtn Biking at night....you won't believe the visibility with the snow reflecting your headlamps....btw...it is easy to convert your riding lights to skiing lights....and most of the winter riding gear works just fine for XC skiing. Slide On!

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by slowdave
    seek out where snowmobiles go they should pack the snow, i wonder if bikes can ride at ricketts glen on the snomobile trails there? the park isn't friendly to mt bikers but they'll let snow mobiles ride there, yeah i'll shut up now
    Starting to plan a ride on the 23rd in Forest City, on the old D&H railway, it is a bike/snowmobile trail, and I'm told it's nice and packed down, you can get in a good 40 miles if you wanted to.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

wounded knee
    Any updates on the conditions at Moon Lake?
    Wondering if anyone is snowshoeing or XC skiing.
    Wyatt scored a Pugsley, and were looking for a place to ride on Sunday.
    I might take a trip up Saturday and check it out.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Chilling out
    I haven't been out there during this past week, but I've been XC skiing there for the previous three weekends.

Last weekend, there was about 4" of snow on top of crust, which was on top of 3-6" of snow.

The only sign of traffic on the singletrack were XC ski tracks (I'm not the only sick-o), and some snowshoe - but NOT much.

Nature's Way 1 & 2 to Deacon were basically XC-ski-tracked singletrack.

The access road in from the service area, around to the campground, had been traversed by some kind of 4x4 (truck, not atv, based upon track width) *and* at least one snow-mobile. The truck tracks could be biked, maybe the snow-mobile track.

BUT

With the rain/sleet/thaw/freeze this week I'm wary of saying it's currently rideable.

Saturday is forecast for snow changing to freezing water in the afternoon, FYI, according to wunderground.com.

I may try to get out 1st thing in the morning, just out of desperation.

I won't be trying to take my bike though.

wounded knee
    Thanks Bear, appreciate your insight, it doesn't sound to promising.
    I'm kind of at a loss for a place to ride.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I heard there are pug tracks in n around Danville and there is always something ridable in roaring creek ?

Chilling out
    Last year this time we were making a bunch of trips The 8 Mile Strip out in Wieser SF - Roaring Creek side. But with this "warm" rain I can't imaging it's friendly either.

Bleh.

Staring down the first weekend I haven't gotten to bike or ski in a long, long, time. ;^(

wounded knee
    I layed down the first mtb tracks in a long time at the mOOn on Sunday, started off on Natures Way 2, made it only as far as the What trail conditions are soft and deep snow, not good for riding!
    The What trail looks like no one touched it at all.

Looks like some people are using the trails for hiking, and XC sking, but only on the main trail, and not enough to really pack it down.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Chilling out
    I've actually been over much of the upper trails on my XC skis, I have been on What once, but it wasn't that much fun on skis so I haven't been back on it.

Not surprised by the report, pretty much what I expected, but thanks for giving it a shot and letting us know. :^)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Lost alot of snow, haven;t been able to get up to LAckawanna yet, but how are conditions at moonlake, etc. Besides muddy....lol Would like to get a ride in next week, but I'm sure there a couple inches left in the woods....

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I'm thinking about trying the Moon on Sunday, any idea how it looks ?

mtbr member
    I checked it out on Tuesday and there were still about 3 inches so i would imagine by now its damn near rideable.

Chilling out
    Well, just back from some exploration out at the Moon, and I figure unless you've fot a Fat Bike it's probably not worth the trip - and I am not sure even then.

Some of Nature's Way has a pretty hard-packed and rideable path, but it's not much trail really.

The rest of the trail I explored could be characterized as 1-3" of wet snow topped by a crust that is just *that* much too weak to hold up a walker or biker (at least a 200# biker on a 20# bike with 2.4" tires).

If you break the crust steering is almost impossible, but that's okay because you don't keep rolling more than a foot or so.

bleh.

I wonder if the Tubbs is better off, being "in the valley". Hmm.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    bummer

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Yea was hoping it would have been mostly melted. Supposed to stay pretty cold for the next week or so, so not much more melting going to happen soon.

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by wyatt79m
    bummer
    you're tellin' me.

if it had melted as much as down here in the valley it'd been pretty good, but nope - the extra elevation makes a big difference.

makes me wonder if I should try to take my XC skis over to Nescopeck on Sun.

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    Well, just back from some exploration out at the Moon, and I figure unless you've fot a Fat Bike it's probably not worth the trip - and I am not sure even then.

Some of Nature's Way has a pretty hard-packed and rideable path, but it's not much trail really.

I wonder if the Tubbs is better off, being "in the valley". Hmm.
    I was just getting ready to leave, when I saw a Bear in the woods.
    I'll second what Bear said, Naturesway 2 is rideable, I took it out to the main road by the Barn.

The unridden trails have snow with a crust thats just incredibly hard to ride through, the roads where vehicles drove through are a sheet of ice.

I gave up and headed into town and did a Urban ride.

I might go back Sunday and do some Snowshoeing, maybe pack down a few trails.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Quote Originally Posted by bear
    .....bleh......
    Says it best...Thanks for the update Bear

mtbr member
    Mountaintop may be rideable
    I'm the kind of person you need to keep your eye on or I'll wander off into the woods and forget to come back...

Any trail updates for Moon or Mt Top? Planning to ride somewhere tonight, with Roaring Creek as my fallback, knowing that it's rideable.

Rolling on 650b

moon lake 3-2

Flurry and I hit the Moon today. It wasn't good. Struggled through Nature's way just 'cause I drove all the way up there. All the trails and even the service roads still had a lot of wet, mushy snow on them.

Moon Lake Conditions...-natures-way.jpg

Moon Lake Conditions...-service-road.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    roaring creek is ridable? am i reading that right, mt top still has a way to go yet lotta snow still out there

Quote Originally Posted by slowdave
    roaring creek is ridable? am i reading that right, mt top still has a way to go yet lotta snow still out there
    Much of the bottom section of Roaring Creek (east of RT42) was rideable Saturday morning, before all of the rain and warmer weather. I'll post an update tomorrow morning.

Clipless and slowdave, thnx for the updates.

Rolling on 650b
    Sure thing. Hoping to get a night ride in next week. Looks like roaring creek will be the place to go.

Chilling out
    Hmm. Thinking about a place to ride on Friday, in between the rainy days.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'd be in on a ride friday morning/afternoon

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I took a hoopdy ride around the moon didnt even bother to get out, looked like a solid six inches of crusty snow. So i went over to moch and got a decent ride in around the kulpits and out the acces road, half frozen but makes for a challenging ride without studs. I think ill be dreaming of biking while sipping some berwick brewery.lol

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Tried to ride LSP yesterday, still in the woods about 85% is snow/ice. Didn't have my paltforms, so it was difficult on the clipless...hopefully this rain/warmer temps will get rid of alot of this snow this weekend

wounded knee
    Sounds like my plans for Saturday have to change, I was going to try the mOOn, thanks for the updates everyone.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Saw bears car @ roaring creek today, I'm waiting for a fresh ride report.

Chilling out
    18 miles of riding, couple minor snow-crusty HAB but rode up the road from where I was parked, across the ridge-line (following std red blazes) down the road on the Natalie side and "recovered" across the dirt road. Was a great ride.

Add this to the extra stuff on the Aristes side that Jonz posted about and there's 20+ of trail out there to enjoy. Misc snow and ice, but nothing to stop a ride for.

I'm knackered (look it up).

Gotta get some sleep for the Sat ride at Mt. Gretna.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    cool, I figured it was all good by now. Thanks for the update.

mtbr member
    hope this rain coming through will do the job, heyna

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I had a blast at Moon Lake today. The variability in the conditions made for a unique experience. I rode the 5 or so miles to get there. I went Nature's Way to the service roads then down Screamer. On a normal day that would have been an amazingly short route, but the conditions made it fairly tough. The snow is all very wet and dense, so the good news is you won't sink into it too much. I'd say about 75% (by distance) of what I touched I could ride. That means I spent about half my time walking.

The day felt about right for where we are in the seasons. Winter seems to be slowly letting the spring shine through. The conditions are the kind that will either force you to improve or grind you into the ground. The first challenge was wet, dense snow that was passable if you kept your momentum, focused on keeping weight on the rear wheel, and stayed smooth in your steering and pedaling. Starting adding in ruts and ice patches, and picking a line and sticking to it were new obstacles.

The patches of bare dirt and leaves popped up every now and then to show a glimpse of what the trails are in more normal times. Then right back to 20ft stretches of ice that froze to the contours of the rolling snow that came before it. It's best avoid any sudden movements and think happy thoughts. There were of course sections with snow too deep to ride. I've never really found a hike a bike I didn't enjoy, it's just a chance to slow down and take in the sights on such a perfect day.

The clouds hid the sun enough to make it special when the sun shined through. A gentle breeze kicked up every now and again. The day was a preview of the spring to come. The crunchy ice shelves and puddles were mine to smash through on the way to the campground. I stopped for a little break on the swings in the playground before heading to Screamer. It was for the most part melted, but with sections with four inches or more of snow. It really adds something to the trail to have to pedal hard to make your way through the patches of snow. I finally had to do a monster dab to regain control on the last turn before the Squeeze, after making it through the rest of the trail. The Squeeze was filled with about a foot and a half of snow. The rest of the trail from that point on was deep snow.

I was on my way back home full of smiles from that point. I think the trails will be a good ride next weekend. If you have a sense of adventure, a lot of fun can be had out there right now. Just appreciate the unique challenges, and accept that you can't ride through it all. Unless you can, then you're my hero.

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriffer
    I
    . Just appreciate the unique challenges, and accept that you can't ride through it all. .
    Chiffer, what a great review of the day!
    I figured they were your tracks I seen, they looked fresh.

I was able to ride maybe 60% of Natures Way 2, headed into 8 the snow was still to deep , then I took on Ledgeview, and had a blast that was around 70-80 % rideable, definately a great workout.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4v-w6yGF3ME" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast