Thread: Moon

Paper Mill Aleworks

Moon

With Raystown closing trails for hunting, I'm in search of other plans this weekend.
    I was thinking about heading to Moon one of the days, and was wondering two things:

Do they hunt there as well?
    Is there an up to date trail map floating around?

I could not find any hunting info on the web about the park itself.
    I got a map off sirbikesalot.com, but it looks to be missing some trail info, and I wasn't sure if there was a more updated copy around.

Thanks,
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

No hunting at moon lake. It wouldn't hurt to dress in bright clothes as adjacent lands are private property and people do hunt on there.

Here's the most up to date map that I know of that is only slightly out of date: LINK (Thank's Chriffer.) The only thing that I noticed at a glance that is missing on the map is that '8' has now been extended to tie in directly with 'T-Rex 1'

Did you ever have ham?
    You can always stop by the park office on your way in and talk to our good friends Gene and Bernie, they will have maps there!!! There are a few new trails and some re-routes that make the trails even better. I am sure that there will be people up there riding this weekend that would be more than happy to show you around!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    We'll be riding the Moon Saturday at noon.. We usually park outside the main entrance gate along the road.. Maybe we'll see you then?

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by amysue135
    We'll be riding the Moon Saturday at noon.. We usually park outside the main entrance gate along the road.. Maybe we'll see you then?
    I'll be heading up shortly, should be hitting the trails around 10-10:30, just look for the fluorescent Castelli jacket and baby blue 29'er (never claimed to be stylish)
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    I think we were riding out of the trails as you were pulling away.. We saw a car with a baby blue / gold accented bike on the roof.. Hope you had fun! We did! The snow made it fun!!

mtbr member

Hey....

...good riding with you today....started with Bear, DirtRider, and JFryauff.....and finished with AmySue, GotBike!!, and Scott.....nice to be out in the cold air with the snow on the trails! T-Rex 1....really enjoyed riding that in the opposite direction than I usually do....definetely rolls better from the T-Rex 2 side down to 8!. Ride On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    hmmm...........new bike , riding trails not in the direction normally taken.....who are you and what have you done with the real jeffskismontana?

wounded knee
    The light coating of snow and ice made it interesting!
    Sorry I had to pull out early, but I didn't realize how worn the studs in my pedals were, and I just couldn't keep my feet from sliding off
    I found my extra set of studs and installed all new fresh longer ones, including spiked ones in the centers, and on the edges, just hope I dont slip a pedal!
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    It was a great ride, but certainly chilly!

Bummed you had piedal issues dirtyboy, will look forward to hearing that they're resolved.

Good evening gathering at the c-board, now it's time for bed!

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    It was a great ride, but certainly chilly!

Bummed you had piedal issues dirtyboy, will look forward to hearing that they're resolved.

Good evening gathering at the c-board, now it's time for bed!
    Here's the pedals well one of them anyway after I refurbished them, notice the spikes and man are they sharp!
    Took a ride Sunday and it felt like my shoes were glued to the pedals, big improvement over Saturday.

Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Did you ever have ham?
    Are you going tp wear matching spiked leather, Dirtrider? LOL!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by motoman465
    Are you going tp wear matching spiked leather, Dirtrider? LOL!!!
    I'm going to put big pointed spikes out the top of my helmet!
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by amysue135
    I think we were riding out of the trails as you were pulling away.. We saw a car with a baby blue / gold accented bike on the roof.. Hope you had fun! We did! The snow made it fun!!
    I saw you guys coming back ot the parking lot as well, would have stuck around longer, but promised the boys we'd get our Christmas tree.

Ted, Jeff, Chuck...thanks for the guided tour, I had a really good time...regardless of the losing 2 pints of blood through my shins

I'll definetly be back to Moon...with something more aggressive then the small-block eights though

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff
    I'll definetly be back to Moon...with something more aggressive then the small-block eights though
    I'll ride my 29er next time. ;^)

FWIW, lots of people rolling big wheels with WTB ExiWolf 2.3 around here. Some on Kenda 2.2 Nevegal - it's a no-fail traction tire BUT it's heavy and it doesn't fit all bikes, similar comment for the Panaracer Rampage. I am currently using the Maxxis Ardent 2.4 and like them, but haven't had them out in the frozen crud yet. I came off the Neve's.

Just do some blood doping to get ready for next time, OR you could borrow my DH knee/shin pads.

but then how would your wife know you had a good time?

wounded knee
    I was running the Rampages front and back, a few weeks ago I tore the sidewall on the rear, I flipped the front and put that on the rear, for the front I went with the Nevagal (first time) without a doubt it has much better traction in the wet stuff than the Rampage, probably due to the dual compound rubber.
    I'm not worried about the weight of the tire, at 220# a couple kilagrams here and there mean nothing!
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member

2nd or 3rd the recommendation on the Nevegals....

Quote Originally Posted by bear
    I'll ride my 29er next time. ;^)

FWIW, lots of people rolling big wheels with WTB ExiWolf 2.3 around here. Some on Kenda 2.2 Nevegal - it's a no-fail traction tire BUT it's heavy and it doesn't fit all bikes, similar comment for the Panaracer Rampage. I am currently using the Maxxis Ardent 2.4 and like them, but haven't had them out in the frozen crud yet. I came off the Neve's.

Just do some blood doping to get ready for next time, OR you could borrow my DH knee/shin pads.

but then how would your wife know you had a good time?
    .....I used to run the Nevegals on my Titus Moto-Lite....swore off them after i ripped 3 or 4 sidewalls.....well when Kenda came out with a 29'ER version....i thought to give them a try....i think the sidewalls have been toughened up....seems like Kenda has been listening to what people have been saying on MTBR.com...the dual tread compound is the difference for the traction as dirtrider said.....Josh I still can't believe you rode in shorts!!!! at 29 degrees.....
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........