mtbr member

Money Rocks Park, Welsh Mtn PA - Up and Coming Ride destination in Lancaster County

If you live in the vicinity and have ridden Blue Marsh, Marsh Creek, Harmony Hills and French Creek then the Money Rocks County Park is quite possibly our next up and coming mountain bike destination.

This is park maintained land that has a lot of promise. The trails are currently a bit unkept and rocky but with a bit of knobby tire use and love they could easily rate right up there with the other great riding areas in the Lancaster, Chester and Berks area. I would say the terrain and trail surfaces here most closely resemble that of French Creek, roots, rocks and a deep woods feel.

The general lay of the land is a wooded ridge top running east to west, to the north, the slope is steep and offers some great down hill possibilities. The trails that currently run this slope are rocky and loose but a fun ride. To the south the land slopes gently and offers prime XC style terrain. to the east runs Narvon Road, in the middle Gualt Road bisects the park and Route 897 creates the western boarder. Most of the forrest here is populated by oak, maple and poplar, The forest floor supports a lot of Ferns and Mountain Laurel.

Iíve been riding the trails up here for over 20 years. Back in the late 90ís the 4wheelers took over this area and pretty much ruined the trail network. But since then the Lancaster County Conservancy has obtained the land, and closed it to ATV traffic. The future is bright for this tract of land. There are currently a few trails that can be linked together to create a decent loop ride in the 5-8+ mi range. Although the quality of the trails in not yet up to par with our other mounting biking gems in our area there is a lot of good terrain here just waiting to be harnessed. Some new trail building has begun but nothing substantial or organized. There is rumors floating around that the IMBA is slated to come in and build trails. but as of yet i have seen no sign of this. The park is yet young and trail building is on the bottom of the official to-do list. The trails are maintained but could use a lot of grooming.

If you get the chance, come out and give the area a shot. I would suggest parking at the Money Rocks trail head off of Narvon Road and riding the trails west in a clockwise direction starting and ending at the Money Rocks vista (a 5mi+/- loop). Or park at the dirt parking lot on Gualt Road (the Blue trail enters the roadway just north of this parking area) and riding to the East for the best trails. The main trails are fairly easy to find and follow and are marked well. And if you have the time to poke around a bit there are more trails to be found as well.

Most of the trails run East to West and have linking trails that run North and South. Be sure to enjoyg the view from the Money Rocks while you are here! The terrain can get rocky and has some briars at spots so be sure to pack a spare tube just in case. If you do get a ride in pass on word of what you thought or what you'd like to see here. The more riders who experience this area the better it will become. And hopefully in the near future we can see another gem of a mountain biking destination hewn out of the beautiful landscape of Lancaster County.

If you come out to the Money Rocks be sure to stop by Shirks Bike Shop on Ligalaw Road just minutes north of the park for any biking supplies or needs.

Here is a link to a somewhat "Official" trail map, Its not real detailed but it will get
    you started. http://web.co.lancaster.pa.us/DocumentCenter/View/514'
    If there is interest I'll see if i can create a actual MTB map.

Happy Riding

mtbr member
    Here is a better map if anyone is interested. The best area to explore is between Narvon and Gault Road. The area between Gault and Rte. 897 has some rideable trails but is a bit unkept as of late.

Money Rocks Park, Welsh Mtn PA - Up and Coming Ride destination in Lancaster County-money-rocks-trail-map-sm.jpg

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Who are you and how have you been stealing my shapefiles? They look identical to the stuff I was collecting a few years ago...

I've got a google maps link in my signature below as well. It should be noted that some trails especially around the cell tower off 897 are on private property. For example you can't ride from Gault Road to Meeting House Road without trespassing. Only the area north of the tower access road along 897 borders directly the Conservancy Property.

Additionally, the downhill near the Scenic Vista in the center of property (not Money Rocks) is really eroded, loose and very steep. Hence my maps show the trails around Money Rocks as the primary way in and out of the area at the bottom of the mountain. New trails need to be built to sustainable grade that would allow hikers and riders to reach the northwest areas of Money Rocks park.

Nice map though. Although I'm not sure what it means to be for refinance only...perhaps reference is what you meant?
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member

Updated Map

Thanks PHeller, (I saw that typo and just updated it.) Yes this map is a sketch i put together from my time spent in the woods here. Wante to share it with anyone interested in using it.

I agree the trails are in need of some good trail maintenance and reconstruction in some cases. Just hoping to generate some interest in the area and hope it gets noticed and put on the map. Would love to see the trails brought back to A+ riding condition.

The boundary at the private land near the towers has been some trail construction that looks like it will skirt the private land when it is complete. Not sure who is out there working on this but it will make a nicer loop.

Money Rocks Park, Welsh Mtn PA - Up and Coming Ride destination in Lancaster County-money-rocks-trail-map-sm.jpg

In my experience of working with Lancaster County Conservancy, they are accustom to building hiking trails. I tried quite a few times to convince them that mountain biking clubs like SAMBA, BAMBA or IMBA would not only make great MTB trails, but they'd make also produce great hiking trails. I'm not sure LCC really understood this. The organization doesn't really understand how to manage or partner with mountain biking groups like they do equestrian or hiking groups.

Despite lengthy discussions with SAMBA and IMBA, I thought that some folks at LCC still saw building trails as $$$ and until they had money, they couldn't build trail. I thought we did a good job of explaining the "point of contact" method for volunteer management, and that we'd show them flagged routes prior to volunteers moving any dirt.

It seemed like years last, they were concerned about volunteers building trail, even though it has worked successfully in numerous other places in the area.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Hrrmm....I been seeing this area pop up a lot more lately. I don't live too far from it at all. I'll have to go check it out and would be more than willing to dig some stuff.

mtbr member
    I agree, it seems like the intent has been lost in bureaucracy. Well when the funds do become available I hope LCC chooses to harness the Fat Tire user base of volunteers. Locally both Harmony Hills and Marsh Creek have vastly grown by the work of the mountain biking community. Well I'm glad we connected, hope there are others out there who are watching the development at this park. Hopefully in time we will be able to get our hands dirty improving and nurturing this trial network back into exsistance. Until then I'll be out there cleaning up trash and doing my best to keep it ridable.

mtbr member
    Yes, Please check this area out if you get a chance. And let everyone know what you think of it. If you do go, don't expect primo groomed trails like marsh creek, or french creek. But go with an eye on what this network has to offer and what it could become.

To those are who are interested,

Feel free to contact Lancaster County Conservancy and ask for Stewardship Director. Tell them you are interested in volunteering to build MTB trails at Welsh Mountain.

Maybe if enough people call and put themselves on a volunteer list strictly for MTB related development, they'll take notice.

I'm thinking of starting a facebook group called "Ride Welsh Mountain" and I'll post the link on here once its up.

mtbr member
    I think that's a great idea. I know not everyone is on MTBR.