Thread: monessen

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

monessen

hey yall, im here for school and was lookin for some trails near monessen, belle vernon and new stanton, im just gettin back into trailing, so something with some noob to intermediate trails would be best. and does anyone know of any riding groups in the area.

Nice no rass
    We don't have anything in this direct area for trails.

7 Springs, Laurel Mountain, Hidden Valley & Quebec Run are all within 1/2 an hour or so.

Boyce Park in Monroeville and then all the city parks like Frick, Southpark, etc. Unless you are in the city, nothing there is worth driving in for when you have the Laurel Mountains so close. PORC is the local riding group, but most of their rides are in the city parks.
    Last edited by Too Rass Goat; 06-27-2008 at 05:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Mingo Creek Park would also be close to Belle Vernon, but I haven't ridden there a while. From reading the trail reviews on this site, it sounds like they are a bit beat up by the equestrians. That aside, the riding is decent.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Not so fast. There is some basic riding close to your area. Hop on route 51 south and in Rostraver, prior to crossing over route 70, pull yourself into Cedar Creek Park. Drive the main road down to the parking lot for the Yough River Trail. If you follow the river down, looking at it that would be to your left, about 200 yrd down is a bridge. On the left side prior to or after crossing the bridge is a trail head. Nice get ya back in the sport trails through the woods. Futher down toward West Newton you"ll find a bunch of trail heads right off the paved river trail. Now if you head the other way,up river, above Smithon, you will also find a ton of motor cycle 4 wheeler trails along the slate dumps and into the woods around Van Meter. Above that is again just a mess of trails that are bike rideable. Go explore you will be surprised at what you can find and what trails locals have made and no one knows about.

If your real daring and want an adventure check out Creek Hills State Game Lands. This is located on the East side of the Yough river about 8 miles above Smithton towards Jacobs Creek. Google Earth all this and you will be able to see all the trails here. These are some wild area and you might want to find a local to show you around. Ask a local to get you to Chain Town, park and go explore. A mass of trails made by MC and 4wheeler and cars trucks folks decided to burn rather than pay for.... You could ride for weeks and not ride the same trail.
    Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    thanks alot, that helps tremendously. now as soon as i get my back back in order ill head out there.

Nice no rass
    The Cedar Creek trails are all of 1/2 mile round trip if you're really lucky. I do hit them occasionally when riding the YRT out of Smithton or West Newton. I never knew Mingo had trails. I still prefer the short run up to the Laurels for biking. It's well worth the drive.

If riding slate dumps and ATV trails is your thing, there are a ton off the new Coke & Coal trail from Mt. Pleasant to Scottdale.