Ride da mOOn Moderator

MMP huge success

Work = Success...

...all who jumped on the ride for a dream had it come true yesterday! Nature Conservancy, Hubbard Bike club, NEPMTBA, the Mt Top crew, the Plymouth guys and many other support groups success was a fine sunny day with cool air and the perfect atmosphere to ride on great trails that are simply spectacular.

To "all" who "supported" this! Hats off to you as this is one of the newest legal riding areas in NEPA developed by many who cared deeply about preservation and proper land use! Not to mention the rare chance for mt bikers to work with the Nature Conservancy hereby forming a great alliance of trust, understanding, and respect for what we had to work with and educating many to the need to preserve special land such as the Barrens.It was a gathering of more than 75 mt bikers, many hikers and people who supported the preservation of a fantastic piece of property that will now be protected forever due to the Nature Conservancy. In turn allowing great Mt biking and hiking through a rare barrens area of Pa.

Let's talk trails: Roughly 7 miles in a loop exist with the Blueberry trail as a great beginner mt bike or hike. In the AM and after a few mt bike rides we closed it off for this day only to allow only "hiking" as it was the closest trail to the parking access. More than 50 people were on the hike led by members of the NC. The Blueberry has a natural spring and many unique features on it's 1 mile trek.Other trails including the rock outcropped inner loop and beyond are much more "tech" trails with many turns and small elevation gains pieced together with rock leggos designed by Rob. The O' Conner' dam trail has a substantial climb outlined by perfect ribbon of continuous single track.Trails continue in a loop to the power line and beyond with more building in that area in the future.More than 7 miles are now on dirt and we move to stage 2 which will see the construction of more unique trails within this property area and the efforts to protect up to 15,000 acres of Barrens land. Rides broke into many smaller groups with trail leaders, Jenny, Loren and myself rode the O' Conner's dam trail and return before it was time to leave for the day.

It was good to see support form Hubbard bicycle club who had the ball rolling on this project from the very beginning. Spending time talking and riding with old friends of Hubbard, John Graboski had a tailgate party going on and it was well attended! Tom Jones was in the crowd from Around Town bicycles as was Dave Johns, Bill and Arron from Cedar bike. Sal and Maryann Mecca(Dunmore historical society) hiked the Blueberry trail. Nino, Gene, Rob, Neal, Paris, Ed, Mike, Bob, Janine, Jeff, Dave, Dennis, and many others were in attendance along with all 3 news stations.

The ribbon cutting ceremony was led by the Nature Conservancy with members speaking to the crowd, Jenny Case introduced the trail builders: Rob Gregory, Gene Katapski and (myself) Lee Curry who were all front and center on stage to receive gifts from her and the Nature Conservancy. Paris and Ed along with many other volunteers also received gifts and were honored for their hard work to see this project to success!

NEPMTBA would like to thank "EVERYONE" who worked along side each other in friendship and total dedication to allow the opportunity we were offered in the property given to design, construct, and ride the trails now on dirt for all to enjoy along with the fantastic views and scenery of this area.

Special thanks to the Nature Conservancy's Jenny, and Ellen for the opportunity and the positive energy you always had, but especially to Molly for the great cookies and cakes you had on the work days!... LOL...

...Success = Ride/Hike
    Last edited by NEPMTBA; 10-06-2008 at 07:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

MMC rocks

rode MMC yesterday and i must say you guys did an incredible job on the trails, stonehenge the slickrock area the ledge above the dam incredible , i haven't had a smile that big on a ride in a long time
    once again great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member

Ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by slowdave
    rode MMC yesterday and i must say you guys did an incredible job on the trails, stonehenge the slickrock area the ledge above the dam incredible , i haven't had a smile that big on a ride in a long time
    once again great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ditto! Really incredible.....very nice design work....very challenging terrain.....Thx go out to all who helped put together this new destination in NEPA for Mtn. Biking. Ride On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    I'd like to thank the guys who made it up to Moosic Mountain Preserve and rode with us on Sunday. It was a big day for me especially cause I've been at the front of this project since our meeting with Jenny Case (The Nature Conservancy) last August. We assembled a "comittee" of contacts which included Jenny(TNC), Gene Katapski, Lee Curry(NEPMTBA) and myself Rob Gregory(Hubbard Bike Club). After our meeting we met up at MMP several times and Gene and myself would find hi-lites and show eachother what we found. When Jenny came up in the spring she was amazed at the time and accuracy of the markings. We stayed out of the wet and noted any spots we would avoid or do rockwork to avoid future problems. Well, there's a combined total of 400hrs between all the riders. There's officially over 800hrs put in by 65+ volounteers to do clean up days including the removal of over 500 tires, referigerators, washers, couches and vehicle parts.

What made me feel the best out of all of this work was when Jenny called us (the trail builders) up to the front and I saw over 120 people there that supported the work that was done, not by me, but by "US" the riders! This is the first time east of the Mississippi that the riders are not only allowed to ride on TNC land, but also be the leaders and officially lay out the trails and build them ourselves!

We had great press too. My brother works for two TV stations. One covers Scranton(WYOU), the other Wilkes-Barre(WBRE). He got us hooked up with them and they showed up to get us some air time. Ellen Lott from TNC had the Hazelton newspaper and the Scranton Times and Tribune call me for 2 interviews and a guy came up on the opening day from the Scranton Times to ask some questions also. We had some ink in Fridays paper, Sundays news stations and Mondays paper also. http://thetimes-tribune.com/articles...mes_trib.20081...

We had riders from Hubbard Bike Club, Nepmtba, Lehigh Valley, Saracuse NY, and Mountain Top come and show their support. Ironically, it took Jeff from Mtn Top almost as long to get here as it did the guys from Saracuse! DAMN PennDOT!

I'd like to thank everyone who showed up for this event. It really shows TNC how tight of a user group we are and that we all come together for an event as special as this one. Hopefully we can do some more riding together. ttyl, Rob Gregory

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Larry:

I think the first pic of Mike sums it up!

So, Jenny, Loren, and I rode the First Ave back up from the O' Conner's! We talked about how nice it would be nice to have a single track to get back instead of the rock road.

Thoughts....

mtbr member
    It's already planned! That's part of next years project that I'll start marking off within the next couple weeks. ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA
    Larry:

I think the first pic of Mike sums it up!

So, Jenny, Loren, and I rode the First Ave back up from the O' Conner's! We talked about how nice it would be nice to have a single track to get back instead of the rock road.

Thoughts....

Ha! Even though that pic was taken BEFORE the ride, that's exactly how I felt afterwards. Lee, I was thinking the same thing about the ride back to the start, but at the same time I realize how much work went into what was there and figured everyone invoved should get to rest for at least a little while. I am still amazed at what has been done there in the span of less than a year. With that in mind, it looks like there might be a sweet opportunity along the creek between Gene's Trail and The View.........

Ride da mOOn Moderator