Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Missing the bike but....

The BC skiing is incredible,kicking gliding and cutting some beautiful turns.BC is as close as it gets to MTN biking, keeps the legs,arms and lungs fine tuned for spring!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by readingracing
    The BC skiing is incredible,kicking gliding and cutting some beautiful turns.BC is as close as it gets to MTN biking, keeps the legs,arms and lungs fine tuned for spring!
    Agreed!

Great workout for the body & mind...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Back Country skiing? Is that what that means? Are you flattening down the trails so we can ride on them?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Wish it was as easy as that,still up to my knees.pray we don't see whats been predicted for early March,be lucky to see dirt before April,but in the mean time ski's and snow shoes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by readingracing
    You said it Dane! Where you been skiing?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Nolde and mostly Antietam.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Nolde Forest Map

I got a quick kick & glide in at Wyomissing park after work today.
    I found this Nolde forest map on line. I hope to hit it again this weekend.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...orest_mini.pdf
    Video Production for Energy & The Environment
    www.levelaproductions.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I never skied and I don't own ski's, so I guess I'm gonna have to stick to the road riding on the 47 lb. DH bike for now!!! That should keep me fit,huh?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Do you think that if me and a couple of others strapped boards to our feet and walked the same loop over and over, we would be able to ride it soon?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Surely you jest,invest in a BC ski package,you don't know what your missing.

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Been back country snowboarding for the last several weeks. Have some great lines and jumps built. Miss the bikes, but all this snow is pretty fun too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm laid off since new years eve! I bought a new mountain bike and can't sell my old one to even make up the difference to pay for it yet. I can't afford the ski's right now! unfortunately. Plus I'm looking to buy Fred's seat post. I'm gonna have to build up my endurance on the road for the next couple of weeks. Road riding should help me build up my legs and stamina plus I've been making a commitment to ride in harder gears than I used to. I only rode 7 miles on the road yesterday but I pushed a hard gear the whole time and pushed myself hard. Oh, I didn't really take the DH, bike I took the Remedy.

ganginwood
    i don't see the correlation between bc/xc skiing and mt biking. in fact, the reason i ski is because it is so much different than biking and i need the mental rest.
    just wondering what you see so similar between the 2 sports?

they both get me out in the woods, if thats what you mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

Can't feel my legs
    Quote Originally Posted by ganginwood
    i don't see the correlation between bc/xc skiing and mt biking. in fact, the reason i ski is because it is so much different than biking and i need the mental rest.
    just wondering what you see so similar between the 2 sports?

they both get me out in the woods, if thats what you mean.
    Uses the same muscle groups, and is the same cardio workout as riding.
    Like MTB, XC skiing is a good balance of fitness, and technical skill.
    Can be done on the same trails, and some that are unaccessable on MTB.
    Uphill work is rewarded by downhill fun.
    Need more? I could probably come up with a few

ganginwood
    Quote Originally Posted by JPark
    Like MTB, XC skiing is a good balance of fitness, and technical skill.
    like sex?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    i don't see the correlation between bc/xc skiing and mt biking.
    Both activities are gravity sports involving an unnatural form of human terrestrial locomotion.

Both activities will begin to feel natural after spending enough time at it.

Both activities utilize state of the art materials and engineering in the construction of the required equipment, and yet can be equally enjoyable on old-school gear.

For both activities, the yin and yang of equipment manufacturer is stiffness and flexibility.

Both activities require a certain amount of strength and fitness on the uphills, and can be an intense thrill on the downhills.

Both activities require skills and techniques learned through repetition and the development of muscle memory.

Both activities are well-suited to the same terrain and trail systems, and are best done in the mountains.

Aside from that, they're not the least bit similar!

ganginwood
    so do you consider cycling to be a "weight bearing" activity?

Can't feel my legs
    so do you consider cycling to be a "weight bearing" activity?
    Not sure what you're asking here, but, if you are asking if it's more like running/hiking, then I would say that if it is, you're doing it wrong.
    When done properly, an XC stride should recruit the same muscle groups in a way that is very similar to cycling, with little to no impact on the joints.

ganginwood
    i'd argue the opposite to be true. weight-bearing muscles contract eccentrically to control the slide and then concentrically to accelerate it. this pattern is repeated thousands of times to produce the kick and glide. cycling has no weight bearing qualities in the pedal stroke, or should i say...lacks most weight bearing qualities.

my biggest observation regarding comments such as those above is that it can be said when comparing almost anything to biking. for example...

"Both activities will begin to feel natural after spending enough time at it.

Both activities utilize state of the art materials and engineering in the construction of the required equipment, and yet can be equally enjoyable on old-school gear.

For both activities, the yin and yang of equipment manufacturer is stiffness and flexibility.

Both activities require a certain amount of strength and fitness on the uphills, and can be an intense thrill on the downhills.

Both activities require skills and techniques learned through repetition and the development of muscle memory.

Both activities are well-suited to the same terrain and trail systems, and are best done in the mountains."

4 out of 6 of these comments can be applied to golf.

of course i'm playing devils advocate but couldn't help the comparisons.

ganginwood
    as per the other posts...

dually noted. skiing is a great workout, its a blast to do, and it keeps you fit for spring. but those statements alone won't place it in a paralleled arena to biking.

yes, i know that you can ski the same trails that you bike on.....
    but most of the trails up here you can also ride an electric wheelchair on as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    i'd argue the opposite to be true. weight-bearing muscles contract eccentrically to control the slide and then concentrically to accelerate it. this pattern is repeated thousands of times to produce the kick and glide. cycling has no weight bearing qualities in the pedal stroke, or should i say...lacks most weight bearing qualities.

my biggest observation regarding comments such as those above is that it can be said when comparing almost anything to biking. for example...

"Both activities will begin to feel natural after spending enough time at it.

Both activities are well-suited to the same terrain and trail systems, and are best done in the mountains."

4 out of 6 of these comments can be applied to golf.

of course i'm playing devils advocate but couldn't help the comparisons.
    Both activities are a metaphor for life's ups and downs, struggles and successes, failures and accomplishments.

Both activities are best enjoyed if you don't take yourself too seriously.

A beer tastes best following either activity.

Neither can be compared to golf because golf sucks.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by tduro
    Both activities are a metaphor for life's ups and downs, struggles and successes, failures and accomplishments.

Both activities are best enjoyed if you don't take yourself too seriously.

A beer tastes best following either activity.

Neither can be compared to golf because golf sucks.
    Moto has lots of up & downs...

Moto is more like MTB...

Electro Moto is even better!

Golf?................... not so much... LOL

ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Just got back from a nice xc ski, I agree completely, Mt. biking and XC skiIng are very similar. I have read a couple Mt. bike, and cycling magazine articles that have supported xc skiing as an excellent means of cross training in the off season. It incorporates some of the key components used in cycling: Balance, strength, rhythm, and flexibility. It also uses upper body elements which help cyclist keep this area fit, and enhance stability on the bike.
    And, as all things are benefited by a solid core, Core strength is an absolute for XC. The added bonus of getting outdoors in the short winter days I'd be indoors at a gym has me hooked.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    ganginwood,maybe you should come and ski the mtn bike trails in the neck of our woods,definitely not electric wheelchair friendly,where in Pa do you live with such mild trails?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mt.Pulaski
    ... has me hooked.
    Good point. I forgot that one.

Both activities are powerfully addictive! And the power of the addiction increases exponentially with frequency of participation. I've skiied 11 of the last 12 days. Now once a day just isn't enough!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast