Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    W.M.A.

THE Mid-Atlantic Super Series (MASS) - Get your race on!

new website is up - www.masuperseries.com

its going to be a great season!

if you have never raced before - consider coming out to one of the races! they are a blast.

About the Super Series
    The Mid-Atlantic Super Series (M.A.S.S.) is the premier mountain bike race series in the Mid-Atlantic region. The M.A.S.S. is a cooperative effort by M.A.S.S. volunteers, race promoters and team directors to link together many great races into season-long individual and team competitions.

The goal of the M.A.S.S. has always been to provide a competitive as well as fun and festive race atmosphere. The M.A.S.S. has something for everyone. From the Elite Open class pitting the best racers of all ages against each other for substantial cash prizes to beginner junior classes for young racers. And while the M.A.S.S. has all the traditional types of races you would expect from a premier series such as cross-country races, short-track races and 50 mile marathons the M.A.S.S. also has things you would not expect in a series such as a team relay competition, a stage race weekend complete with a night time trial and the 24 hour race at Seven Springs.

A big part of the M.A.S.S. is the team competition. The team competition is broken into small and large team divisions and at the end of the season team cups are awarded to the top 3 teams in each division. Many racers are more concerned with their teams placing than they are their individual series standings.

At the end of the season the M.A.S.S holds a huge awards ceremony at the Bear Creek Mountain Resort following the last M.A.S.S. weekend event which is typically an STXC on Saturday and XC on Sunday. Last year the M.A.S.S. awarded almost $5,000 in end of season awards and that included over 30 series champion jerseys, 100+ engraved plaques and 6 team cup trophies.

New for 2008 will be the King and Queen of the M.A.S.S. awards for the racers that accumulate the most points in all races over all three race categories.

Shrinking Clyde Rider :-)
    I think I am going to try a couple races this year. On the Rocks at French Creek French Creek State Park and Tour de Tykes Weekend at Danville. For me it will be more about the fun of the competition then the desire to take 1st.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Can someone explain the difference between the Enduro race/class and the marathon race/class ? How are they scored in the overall series. I've already read the series rules and scoring info on the above link, though I'm still a bit confused. We're a little slow over here in N.J.
    Thanks

W.M.A.
    the MASS is made up of 3 separate individual series - XC, STXC and Enduro. you can register for one or all of them in order to compete for the series title. OR, you can just do single day races in any of the races and not register for the series.

as far as how they are scored - see this page and click link for points schedule - http://www.masuperseries.com/MASS2008/scoring.html

enduro and marathon are one in the same - endruo race generally refers to a time specific event i.e. 6 hour race (as many laps as you can get in) where as a marathon is generally a set distance i.e. 50 miles - fastest time wins. they both score expert points, regardless of ability. Both types of races are part of the endure series.

there is also a team competition that takes all series points in to account, based on team rules (different size teams etc). also, new this year is the king and queen of mass - the male and female racer with most overall points across all categories.

let me know if you have any more questions. you can also head to http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/massmatters/ and join that group - post questions there and usually get a lot of good feedback as well and some good heckling.

peace out!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    wow, 2 fairhills this year...

i like the early one in april, maybe i can get in a decent result in before everyone gets real fast later in the summer...

W.M.A.
    yeah - its good stuff...

FYI - it is a different course than the DTS race later in the year - one is single loop and the other is laps - hopefully the april race will be during a dry spell cause you know we can ride there if its moist...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Out of curiosity, how does a total newb become part of a team? Or is it just about grabbing a couple buddies and creating your own team? It would be nice to have a group you can consistantly count on to push you, or even push myself knowing others are depending on me.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex
    Out of curiosity, how does a total newb become part of a team? Or is it just about grabbing a couple buddies and creating your own team? It would be nice to have a group you can consistantly count on to push you, or even push myself knowing others are depending on me.
    Stop by your LBS!

Ask around if there is an existing team. You can learn a lot quick...

W.M.A.
    LBS is generally the best route to go...

if you want to know the teams from last year - check this out - http://www.masuperseries.com/MASS2008/ctp.html

down in DE bike line has a pretty strong presence - wooden wheels no longer has a team. not sure what henrys is up to, pretty sure they have a team but dont register it in MASS series. Deep Blue is DE based team, but not sure of any contact info. if you are interested, i could get you more info on them.

you can create your own team too. one new thing that was added this year was the Grassroots Team Class - teams with no expert/elite riders.

i am a part of Team LoweRiders - we are based in Downingtown, PA - not far from wilmington. we have a few riders from DE. we are always looking for new riders - all ages and abilities. we started our team last year with 3 guys, grew to 11 by seasons end - this year we expect to have 30-40 riders. let me know if you would like more info on that!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    So, if my math skills are up to par, I could potentially race Sport my first year and hope to be in the top 15 for the season and still get more points than actually winning Beginner for my age class (judging by last years results).....Interesting.

Shadowflag.....I'd take any info you could give me on your team!!! If you happen to have an email for Deep Blue I'd appreciate that too! They seem to have quite a few members in Wilmington.

W.M.A.
    yes - sport points are worth more than beginner, but they are not relative. you are only racing against your own class. as for team points - that is a different story and your comparison is correct same would go for sport to expert.

If you are truly a beginner racer/rider I think it would be rather tough to finish top 15 in sport. As well, if you think you can go into beginner and win the whole thing outright and do, then you would sandbagging and will be publicly ridiculed, possibly tar and feathers involved.

Sent you a PM regarding team info.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I am looking to schedule one or two races this summer for some extra fun. I ride XC and prefer groomed UCI World Cup style trails - smooth, fast, and all legs and lungs - no technical stuff. A course designed for sub 20lb hardtails and 80mm forks would be perfect. Long climbs would be great, too.

Which courses in MASS would be best for me?

W.M.A.
    no technical stuff?? not much of that in the MASS... maybe a couple "less" tech.

fairhill would be a good bet. granouge and iron hill werent too bad. never rode camden county where the d&q sizzler will be. but from what i hear its a pretty fast course.

avoid french creek and bear creek for sure. danville has some technical stuff and a lot of big up and down.

have not ridden marysville, maybe someone else can chime in there.

the short track courses are not technical, but a different kind of race.

you may also want to head over to the MASS yahoo group and post a message there - http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/massmatters/

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant
    I am looking to schedule one or two races this summer for some extra fun. I ride XC and prefer groomed UCI World Cup style trails - smooth, fast, and all legs and lungs - no technical stuff. A course designed for sub 20lb hardtails and 80mm forks would be perfect. Long climbs would be great, too.

Which courses in MASS would be best for me?

Fair Hill although Middle Run/White Clay would be the smoothest but there is no race their. It's time to brush up on your technical skills Cleanly maneuvering through some tough rock gardens is very reassuring. Fast AND smooth.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex
    Fair Hill although Middle Run/White Clay would be the smoothest but there is no race their. It's time to brush up on your technical skills Cleanly maneuvering through some tough rock gardens is very reassuring. Fast AND smooth.
    My technical skills are fine, I am just looking for courses and trails like the ones UCI uses. I will never understand why local trails and races are not designed to be like those that determine the world's best. Free Ride and All Mountain are just not for me and I am tired of trails designed for FS bikes and 29ers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    If you notice, there are no World Cup races in America, and maybe two in North America. The great thing about local racing in the US is that it has absolutely nothing to do with what passes for Mountain bike racing in Europe. Courses here require skill and fitness, as opposed to out and out fitness. The other great thing about races in PA is that they tend to be long courses, with many single loop races. UCI races are typical 5-7K, or 3-4.5 miles for you Metric-phobes. Thinking of those laps just makes me dizzy.
    Local races represent (hopefully) the best of the local riding. If we were try and build a UCI style dirt drag strip, it would require bringing in a ton of material that wasn't native to most of PA, ie: Dirt. If you really want to ride those style of courses, I would suggest a road trip to any of the races in Tidewater VA. They're fun courses, with nary a rock to be found. As for PA, keep it rocky and single.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    I will never understand why local trails and races are not designed to be like those that determine the world's best.
    Um, we really don't have much choice as to how the local trails are "designed". God (or billions of years of post big-bang history, whichever you favor) designed them a long time ago and we have to go with what we got.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My technical skills are fine, I am just looking for courses and trails like the ones UCI uses. I will never understand why local trails and races are not designed to be like those that determine the world's best. Free Ride and All Mountain are just not for me and I am tired of trails designed for FS bikes and 29ers.

To each their own

FWIW, I rid a 26" rigid and have yet to yearn for a FS. I had a suspension fork on the front but I like the larger volume front tire with a rigid fork better. Sounds like you're looking for some double track or "rail trail" type of stuff. You know the road is smooth, right?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I think this is a matter of perspective. Personally, I dont see the local trails as 'free ride' or 'all mountain' trails. I see them as just 'trails' and adjust my style to the flow of what is in front of me. Yep, there are definitely 'free ride' elements out there, as well as 'all mountain' elements, but I ride XC. If my bike isnt really designed for drops and big rocks (its not- its a FS XC race bike) I choose the line that gets me through the section as fast and as smoothly as possible. Funny thing is, the fastest/smoothest line actually often is the on the tops of the rocks. As far as having something UCI style, there will be either some significant trail work required (are you volunteering??) or some travel involved. It can be done, but the amount of work involved would not be a small thing. Picture moving (literally) miles of earth, rock, and clay by hand to get it done and that might give an indication about why the local trails have the flavor they do. Instead of fighting it I might suggest adapting to it so when you do ride a UCI style course again, you can REALLY go fast because it will literally just be a dragstrip. Just my .02.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I am sorry I even asked.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I am sorry I even asked.
    Dont be- it would be great to have something really fast and smooth around here, but the terrain makes it really difficult to achieve that. If you really want to see it happen, stop complaining and DO something. Hook up with your local club (I think yours would be bikevmb.com) and move some dirt. The property at the Game Preserve is probably your best bet, but the foot traffic that is likely to be there may make it a bad idea to go wide-open, however that is your probably best bet to get what you are asking for.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by dankilling
    I think this is a matter of perspective. Personally, I dont see the local trails as 'free ride' or 'all mountain' trails. I see them as just 'trails' and adjust my style to the flow of what is in front of me. Yep, there are definitely 'free ride' elements out there, as well as 'all mountain' elements, but I ride XC. If my bike isnt really designed for drops and big rocks (its not- its a FS XC race bike) I choose the line that gets me through the section as fast and as smoothly as possible. Funny thing is, the fastest/smoothest line actually often is the on the tops of the rocks. As far as having something UCI style, there will be either some significant trail work required (are you volunteering??) or some travel involved. It can be done, but the amount of work involved would not be a small thing. Picture moving (literally) miles of earth, rock, and clay by hand to get it done and that might give an indication about why the local trails have the flavor they do. Instead of fighting it I might suggest adapting to it so when you do ride a UCI style course again, you can REALLY go fast because it will literally just be a dragstrip. Just my .02.
    Another thing is the fact State parks, forests and other state run agency's won't allow the building of stuff even for a race. Now if a private land owner wishes it can be done, but is it worth the cost of all the work for a race once or twice a year? Dankilling hit in a very good point, get involved with your local trail group, by doing this you have more opportunity to share your ideas with others. There are plenty of land owners and land managers who have no idea what to do. Your idea could be the next place to ride. It just takes a little speaking up. Often partnerships arise from no so mainstream connections so don't always assume the other person has to be mt bike oriented.

It all comes down to the 2 magic words:

MONEY/VOLUNTEER

It would be really cool to have an area like you suggest though...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I know a few buddies and I are planning on doing this in April. Anyone else going? Curious what the terrain is like. Hilly, fast, singletrack?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Wow, zombie thread!

You do know you posted to a 4 yr old thread, yes?

Sent from my brain using neurons fueled by caffeine

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Haha. I know it. I just figured it would make more sense to rekindle an old thread opposed to starting a new one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast