mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Good job! Michaux - traffic

started riding the ATV trails off bendersville rd. about a month ago. I've rode (and walked and ran and rolled down) almost all the more difficult trails and all the most difficult trails. succombing to the easy trails on my way out because of lack of daylight or just plain fatigue (most common reason). I have noticed one obvious thing though. I haven't seen any other mountain bike riders on any of the trails and may see on average 3 ATV riders on the more difficult trails ( a bunch of ATV's on the easy trails) My rides average 3 to 4 hours on the weekends. The lack of traffic is why I keep going back week after week. I am still curious though as to why there are so few mountain bike riders on these trails? That trail does kick your ass though. Most ATV riders are cool about you sharing the trails - they do look at you like your a nut though and there are those few ATV idiots that think you shouldn't be on their trail. Final note - I absolutely love the beating that those trails give you.

mtbr member
    great trails for sure. I went to school at ship and rode there all the time. Now I'm back in philly and it's a solid 3 hours from my house to pine grove furnace otherwise I'd be out there more.

In the 4.5 years I was out there I only remember a couple handfulls of meetings with any other users.
    Disclaimer: I no longer fix bikes for a living.
    National Ski Patroller to feed my winter habit.

mtbr member
    jkraft, you should hook up with a Mountain Bikers of Michaux ride. We post our weekly rides on http://the-skinny-on-mbm.blogspot.com/ .

mtbr member
    May 2007
    We'll be there July 5-6. Camping in the state forest, and riding. There are races there from time to time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Michaux is a huge area to ride with some of the best trails not marked on any map and / or closed to ATVs. I rode there yesterday and was actually surprised to see a few ATV's on the trails mid-week. I actually find the trails rated most difficult, i.e. grave ridge, easier to ride on my mountain bike than on my ATV.

mtbr member
    i also love the trails down at michaux. i do have a tendency to stick to the race course maps a lot of the time (especially in pine grove furnace area) b/c they have a lot of unmapped singletrack that isn't washed out by atvs. i usually will ride there 2-3 times/wk for 3-4 hours for around 25 miles. my goal is to be able to ride for 35-40 miles by the end of the season.

one reason you may not see many riders is b/c of the atvs. i stay away from the atv trails a little on wkends b/c they can get crowded once they open memorial day wkend. i will ride them if i go down midweek, though. also, the number of trails and total miles is so high you're not likely to pass anyone. i've ridden there from several of the trailheads when there have been 5-7 cars minimum and haven't seen another rider until i get back to the trailhead.

if anyone wants to ride there i'm all for riding with others. currently ride solo and usually can't make mtn bikers of michaux rides b/c of work or wkend conflicts. i live in mechanicsburg so it makes it difficult to get to there group rides.

jkraft: you're right about those trails. when you finish riding a 4 hour ride at michaux, your body is definetly aware you earned the fun

jim
    The wheel of Ka turns and the World moves on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

saw life this weekend

I suppose this post is actually for everyone that responded. I was up again at Michaux and finally saw another rider. 3 to be exact. All around grave ridge. I do appreciate everyones help and suggestions. Not sure if I'm up to everyone's level of riding so I may postpone the riding invites until I can spend more time on my bike instead of my back. I also ran into several bikers staying at the Pine Grove Camping Area. They told me about the race trails beyond the ATV parking area. I wasn't aware of those, so that information was helpful. They said if I go to michauxrace.com I could get a course map. Is that correct? In responce to jimpt - yes I am only riding the "washed out trails" for the most part. I leave the pine grove campground and usually start at #36 and work my way to #25 on the more difficult & most difficult trails. I then pick up my bike and cut across the woods (no trail) to the back end of graves ridge #19 to #3 then to the fuzzy trail #4. Hit log sled trail #18 to #30 then to #33 and back home on Slate Quarry Road. This route helps reduce the amount of time I spend on the firetrials with the heavy ATV traffic. I still have a hell of a time trying to come up some of those hills. To be honest, I'm pushing alot, but I keep trying. On my second day (sunday) I run fender trail from the parking lot down rocky pass to log sled trail and take log sled trail back home. On Monday I just die!

Again thanks everyone for the info and comments.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The website for the race maps is www.racemichaux.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkraft
    I also ran into several bikers staying at the Pine Grove Camping Area. They told me about the race trails beyond the ATV parking area. I wasn't aware of those, so that information was helpful. They said if I go to michauxrace.com I could get a course map. Is that correct?
    Hi, I'm pretty sure I and Jonathan talked to you by the lake. I'm really sorry for not being more communicative and helpful - I had just lost my car keys while swimming so my mind was in a completely other place. The site with the maps we were talking about was http://www.racemichaux.com/ - I'll be happy to try to answer any questions you have although I've only been there once so my knowledge is quite limited

There's definitely some great technical riding to be had in Michaux.

/ Jonas Nockert

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Speaking of maps, I was trying to ride the 10 mile course for the upcoming race (July 15) and couldn't find the right trail to take when I got down near 233. Anyone have any visual clues to pick the proper trail? Thanks.

Dan

mtbr member
    dan,
    take 233 south toward caladonia from pine grove furnace. then make a right on to shippensburg rd and follow about 2-3 miles north to the big flat parking lot. go past the first parking lot (it has restrooms) and park in the second parking lot (which is immediately behind the first). at the south end of the second parking lot is a red flared trail. follow the red markings that coincide with michaux endurance series race course. it may be helpful to pick up a multiuse trail map from the pine grove furnace park office to help you out.

on separate note, anyone want to ride curse of dark hollow 25 mile course saturday am. was thinking start time between 8-9. i usually take about 3 hours to finish course (when i don't get a flat from all the rocks )

jim
    The wheel of Ka turns and the World moves on.