mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Michaux Teaberry Race

So did anyone else get suckered into the 25 mile sport loop at Michaux yesterday? I haven't been training / riding much lately but I thought I would just ride it for fun and learn some new trails. After the first 12 miles I thought ,great, almost halfway done, legs are feeling good, and the trails were pretty tame for Michaux. It turns out they were saving all the super rocky, technical, unrideable ( by me at least) singletrack for the second half. I was ok with that, because, well it is Michaux. What I thought really sucked was that the 25 mile loop was actually 32 miles. I can see adding an extra mile or two, but 7 miles made for another hour of riding. I heard a lot of complaints about this yesterday. I passed several people standing by the side of the trail asking if they made a wrong turn. I don't care about what place I finished in but for someone who was serious or trying to pace themselves for 25 miles adding another 7 miles was pretty shitty.

CC
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PaMtbRider
    So did anyone else get suckered into the 25 mile sport loop at Michaux yesterday? I haven't been training / riding much lately but I thought I would just ride it for fun and learn some new trails. After the first 12 miles I thought ,great, almost halfway done, legs are feeling good, and the trails were pretty tame for Michaux. It turns out they were saving all the super rocky, technical, unrideable ( by me at least) singletrack for the second half. I was ok with that, because, well it is Michaux. What I thought really sucked was that the 25 mile loop was actually 32 miles. I can see adding an extra mile or two, but 7 miles made for another hour of riding. I heard a lot of complaints about this yesterday. I passed several people standing by the side of the trail asking if they made a wrong turn. I don't care about what place I finished in but for someone who was serious or trying to pace themselves for 25 miles adding another 7 miles was pretty shitty.
    Now its 32 miles.
    Yesterday i heard 27,30 miles.......

Don't get upset.
    Think about where you want to go.
    It pushed your bounds.
    You finshed a pretty tough race.
    Feel good about that.
    Relax.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cant Climb
    Now its 32 miles.
    Yesterday i heard 27,30 miles.......

Don't get upset.
    Think about where you want to go.
    It pushed your bounds.
    You finshed a pretty tough race.
    Feel good about that.
    Relax.
    I've done longer, harder rides at Michaux and other places so I wasn't looking for a great sense of accomplishment. I just think for a race format the distance should be close to advertised. As far as actual distance, I talked to several people, including the Sport class series winner, that used either a bike computer or GPS, and 32 miles was the consensus.

CC
    Oct 2004
    You'll laugh about it and have a story to tell someday.....