mtbr member
    Apr 2012

michaux rear tire needed

have bronson 2.2 F+R on my hard tail. rear tire cut sidewall, and pinch flatted today so i'm going tubeless. what is a good rear tire for up this way?

thanks

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I think that anything with a reinforced sidewall will be good enough.

If you want fast-rolling stuff, the Maxxis Ikon 3c/eXc/EXO 2.2 is a good rear tire, companion it with with a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 EXO on the front and it's a really fast rolling but forgiving combination. I had that combo out there last summer for about 50 miles of trail riding and zero issues (other than brake fade...).

Just this past weekend I was out for about 40 miles rolling a Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 SnakeSkin on the front and Continental Mountain King Protection 2.4 on the back. No issues. Lots of fast hits on my FS bike.

I pretty much only run my tires tubeless, usually on Stan's Flow rims. Last summer I was running DT 440 rims with Stan's rubber rim strips though, as the wheels were new and came with the bike. Once those wimpy XC rims wore out I replaced them with the Stan's Flow.

I have the Stan's Flow on my 29er HT, super reliable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm by no means a racer, but i enjoyed the bronsons. I can't tell the difference of a xc or trail tire, but i sure can tell the difference of having a flat vs not.

I've been pushing the bike harder and can tell when the square edges bite, and i kinda like that.

will do some more research, thanks for the input

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I ran the Bronson 29er 2.3 last fall and it was "fair" but by no means a better tire than the Ikon or the Mountain King, IMO.

I won't run it again as it barely lasted 200 trail miles for me.

The two tires that have lasted the longest on my FS 29er have been the Geax Sturdy 2.3 and the Ikon I already mentioned

I never got to try the Ikon in wet conditions, but the Sturdy *hated* water. Won't bother with it again either.

mtbr member
    I've been running Panaracer Fire tubeless and tubes for lots of years now on the Michaux races and never had a problem. The only flat I ever had on Mich was when I was using 1.95 Panaracer Trailblasters(much faster but skinny). Run a little bit harder than you would for a normal trail(like 32psi for a 170lb person) to give some margin. The tubeless and knob will make up for the difference in traction.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I really am liking the mountain kings

going with ardent. will report if anyone give a sht
    Last edited by blysccr; 05-30-2013 at 06:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I just put a set of WTB Wolverines on....so far I really like them for michaux...seem to be sturdy in the sidewall. Of course solid rubber tires would be best ....LOL

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    ended up with a 2.4 ardent for the rear. then i popped my other bronson, so i moved the 2.4 to the front and got a continental mountain king II 2.2 for the back. Aside from sealing issues, i think i like the skinnier tire for the back (even though it's a hard tail)