mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Michaux / Pine Grove Suggestion

Camping at Pine grove this weekend and I am looking for route suggestions. Looking for rides that start / end at the camp ground. Thanks!

mtbr member
    There are so many trails and not many are marked you would be more confused if we tried to explain it with typed words. Check out these guys. http://the-skinny-on-mbm.blogspot.com/ they do Sunday rides and have a few maps somewhere on the website.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    We are planning on riding Friday / Sat. Anyone riding either day and willing to have 3 more tag along? Map info seems to be scarce.

If not any suggestions will be very much appreciated!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I think MBM is tied up with a race this weekend (on Sunday) - Curse of Dark Hollow.

Capp, it's not IMPOSSIBLE that I may be coming down to Michaux Fri or Sat, but it's a wee bit too early for me to know for sure yet - probably won't know until Thurs. I have a couple GPS routes for rides in there loaded into one of my GPS (like the Dark Hollow 20m course, and a couple 10m loops up near Pine Grove Furnace). I can also get lost and found again pretty reliably.

If you come up with no other options it could be a good adventure.

You gotta be ready to climb too though.

I must admit to a bias though, the Dark Hollow course looks more intriguing to me at the moment compared to the tracks I've seen up by Pine Grove Furnace.

I know for a fact that some of the Dark Hollow course, as it comes down towards Long Pine Run Reservoir - assuming I'm reading their track properly - has some mind bendingly fun trail. I rode some of that solo last month and I could NOT pull my grin off for days.

Oh, there's a fresh water spring near one of the cabins along the Appalacian Trail that I know of (probably more - I should examine the topo map I bought). I think it's just off Milesburn Rd just a bit north of the intersection with Ridge Rd (look on the MBM map for the "Mash Parking Area" to get close.

You could also park at what MBM calls Mud Banks, and ride from there (it's not far from Pine Grove Furnace, just a mile or three really) and it's supposed to have terrific biking to the N-W of 233. Some bikers were telling me they'd park there and ride up Woodrow Rd (just S on 233) to the top of the hill and then work singletrack all the way back. Doesn't sound bad to me. I've found no mapping of those trails though.

If you haven't, you should look at the MBM parking locations map ... https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=...ccafd3ba811091 ... turn on Map and Terrain (instead of Satellite) and you get geo feature names.

Warning notice: I live two+ hours away (near Wilkes-Barre), if I'm coming down I want a ride to pay off for the 4 hours driving. I set no rocket-like paces, but I do tend to have good endurance. I'd be "all in" to shoot for a 20-30 mile ride (depending on weather).

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Bear- Thanks for the reply. Let me know your plans. We would like to leave out of the camp ground if possible as our mode of transport is a RV and not the easiest to move around once set-up.

mtbr member
    Mud banks would be good if riding solo. Getting someone's gps routes sounds like a good bet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Sunday is the Dark Hollow Race but you could certainly do the dark hollow course which is located here Dark Hollow – July 22 : Race Michaux. That's the 40 miler but you'll get the idea. That course is a mix of awesome singletrack, nasty descents, tough climbs, rocky ATV trails, and some fire road. For some more fun singletrack, I would go to the Mountain Bikers of Michaux Website and look at the parking areas. Go to parking area "Mud Banks" walk into the woods and start riding singletrack but try to keep right to stay out of posted areas. Lots of trails there and like Jon said, not well marked.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Capp07, feel free to shoot me contact info, just in case, but like I said I won't know until wed/thurs what's up.

However, here's a web link to a place I've dropped a couple PNG graphics and the corresponding GPX files (that I originally got of connect.garmin.com).

They show two routes that other people shared, riding out of Pine Grove, basically from near the Camp Store. If you print out the graphics and get the forest map from the office when you get there ($10 and worth it!) you should be able to trail-navigate safely.

Index of /bear/maps/pa_michaux

Just trying to share options. ;^)

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    If it helps with planning, Gmap4 can display the MBM parking locations on high-res topographic maps. Just open the following map, zoom in several steps and then (in the upper right corner) click Terrain ==> t4 Topo High.

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap...ccafd3ba811091

If you find GPX (or KML or TPO) files online for this area then you can also use Gmap4 to see those files on the high-res topo maps. Just make a link like so:

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?t=t4&q=http://full_url_pointing_to_the_file

For example, here is the topo map showing one of the GPX tracks from the link that bear posted. (The weird forest color is courtesy of the USGS.)
    http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap..._190307319.gpx

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Jelf, that's a HANDY site, thanks for sharing.

Only 5 lives left
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Oh, there's a fresh water spring near one of the cabins along the Appalacian Trail that I know of (probably more - I should examine the topo map I bought). I think it's just off Milesburn Rd just a bit north of the intersection with Ridge Rd (look on the MBM map for the "Mash Parking Area" to get close.

You could also park at what MBM calls Mud Banks, and ride from there (it's not far from Pine Grove Furnace, just a mile or three really) and it's supposed to have terrific biking to the N-W of 233. Some bikers were telling me they'd park there and ride up Woodrow Rd (just S on 233) to the top of the hill and then work singletrack all the way back. Doesn't sound bad to me. I've found no mapping of those trails though.

If you haven't, you should look at the MBM parking locations map ... https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=...ccafd3ba811091 ... turn on Map and Terrain (instead of Satellite) and you get geo feature names.
    Thanks Bear, as always, for all of the great info.!

Only 5 lives left
    Quote Originally Posted by Jelf View Post

If you find GPX (or KML or TPO) files online for this area then you can also use Gmap4 to see those files on the high-res topo maps. Just make a link like so:

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap...ng_to_the_file
    Awesome! Thanks for the link.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for the help! Now all I need is the weather to cooperate.
    Last edited by capp07; 07-19-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Capp, I tried to align things but it just hasn't happend, I'm not going to be able to make it down to Michaux this weekend.

Check those routes out I posted, looks to me like they could work right-out from where you are going to be.

Good luck with the weather, so long as it's not t-storming you should be good - if wet, muddy, and riding on the slippy stuff as a friend would put it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I downloaded the routes to my gps. Thanks again. I'll report back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Bear thanks for the gpx files. We rode both of them and had a great time. Despite the never ending rain it's a great area and I look forward to visiting in the dry!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I'm glad to hear it worked out!