mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Michaux Maximus = mud

The Michaux Maximus race today got off to a dry start today. Unfortunately 10 - 15 minutes into the race it started to rain. Combined with all the rain from yesterday it made for treacherous trail conditions. If you weren't skating across wet rocks and roots you were trudging through mud that doubled your effort and weight of the bike. Certain sections of the sport loop are at, or slightly above my technical riding ability in the dry. It was a real challenge in the slop today. I finished a very forgetful mid pack placing in the sport category.
    The most impressive rider I saw today finished the last hour of the monster loop without a seat. He broke his seatpost and had his saddle in his rear jersey pocket for the rest of the ride.
    I am not sure who won the Pro division today. Chris Eautough is usually really competitive on this course. He unfortunately missed a turn and spent about an hour off course.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I also saw a guy come in with the left half of his handle bars missing. Broken off right after the brake lever. But I think I would rather not have half my handle bars then have no seat to sit on.

I also saw a few guys with missing rear derailleurs and did some walking. Shimano should be sponsoring these things. Iím sure there are bike shops all over the PA / MD / VA / NJ that are getting bikes in need of some serious help. Not to mention the worn out brake pads. I had nothing left on the rear pads before I was done luckily the last 2 miles are up hill!

-Doug Jones

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Michaux is definitely hard on equipment. I was pre-riding the course in the beginning of the week and broke my derailleur hanger. I have had my share of cut and torn sidewalls riding there as well. Luckily nothing broke during the race.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    There was a section right after the split for sport and expert/monster that was very confusing - two different trails both marked with arrows. I saw one guy going one way and a few going the other way. Luckily I chose to follow the group. I wonder if this is where Chris went off course? Here's a close up of my bike after.

Quote Originally Posted by PaMtbRider
    Chris Eautough is usually really competitive on this course. He unfortunately missed a turn and spent about an hour off course.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dajones13
    I had nothing left on the rear pads before I was done luckily the last 2 miles are up hill!
    -Doug Jones
    Doug,

You the man Great 1st place finish. I spent like 2 hours cleaning. We'll see of the brake pads made it.

The results should be up on the web site tomorrow.

Matt Morrison

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I saw lots of trailside drivetrain repairs. My SRAM X.0 performed flawlessly. The brake pads were another story. About a mile into the first descent, I have to move my fingers off the grips to depress my levers enough. I readjusted at the bottom and was OK.

One hell of a race.