mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Michaux Mash - SS gearing

hi all,
    i'm riding the michaux mash this weekend and was planning on doing it SS . Not knowing the trails at all, can anyone with local knowledge recommend what gear ratio would be best?
    Thanks very much!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A couple friends & myself are all racing on SS's for the Mash...only problem is that none of us have ever preroad the course. So keeping that in mind, here is what we are riding...I will be using a 32X19, one friend will probably roll a 32X20 & the young tough kid is going with a 38X20. I have no doubt the kid on the 38X20 will have no problems. BTW we are all on 29ers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DJP412
    A couple friends & myself are all racing on SS's for the Mash...only problem is that none of us have ever preroad the course. So keeping that in mind, here is what we are riding...I will be using a 32X19, one friend will probably roll a 32X20 & the young tough kid is going with a 38X20. I have no doubt the kid on the 38X20 will have no problems. BTW we are all on 29ers.
    Super, thanks. 32x19 or 20 sounds good to me - Im definitely not tough enough for 38x20!!

mtbr member
    38x20!!
    Hells yeah!
    read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs

Now broadcasting from CO
    Haha... good luck to all of you on that crazy gearing? 38x20? Lets put it this way, the course designer rides a 32x20 and hates it every minute of canada hollow. I would stick with that. Unless you weigh about 110lbs and have legs the size of large trees you will spend more time walking than riding with that gearing. 32x19 is reasonable if you mainly ride SS.

Have fun at the race this weekend, no matter what gearing you ride! It's a great course!

EDIT: unless the one riding the 38x20 is some silly kid with an orange SS and purple I9 wheels...
    Brought to you by rocks.