mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Michaux Lodging?

anyone ever do a multi day trip to michaux and rent a cabin?

Looking for suggestions....sleeps 10 or so with some conveniences like a toliet!

Last year we stayed at the state college boyscout camp. more than enough room but NASTY!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Multiple days in Michaux thats all I know.

Check this out. http://members.fortunecity.com/shive...hermitage.html
    I have never stayed there because I live so close but It is located in one of the nicest areas. It is back in the woods off of a fire road (so you will have to hike in or ride but not far maybe 5 min) it is at the bottom of Schaffer rocks a climbing crag and next to a stream and is in ideal riding area.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

too small

thanks scalpel. i cant imagine having 8-10 people in there! I may have forgot to mention that.....

mtbr member
    You could check out the Ironmasters Hostel in Pine Grove Furnace State Park.

Rat Fink
    Not necessarily cabins that sleep 10, but Gettysburg is very close and there are all sorts of accomocations available there. Chambersburg is about the same distances as G-Burg but to the west and there are a lot of the standard next-to-the-interstate type motel chains along I-81 and Rt. 30.
    Last edited by mbmojo; 01-30-2008 at 08:54 AM.
    Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')

cannondale rider
    my family stayed at a pa state owned cabin. it was like a house and i believe pretty inexpensive. it was close to caledonia which isnt too far from michaux. i think the cabins slept 8 people

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

ideal riding spot?

Quote Originally Posted by MichauxYeti
    You could check out the Ironmasters Hostel in Pine Grove Furnace State Park.
    I'm going to be on the trip with Jomissa...

Based on a Google map, the Ironmasters Hostel is around 20 miles north of the Hermitage cabin. I guess the question is, where would be an ideal place to stay to be able to ride to the trails--maybe the race courses that Gettysburg Bicycles uses?

What trails would you recommend we "not miss?" We're all advanced XC riders looking for a challenge. We need about three solid days of riding, preferably without much repetition.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JST169
    What trails would you recommend we "not miss?"
    Graves Ridge

If you post your travel dates and what kind of trails you're looking for over on the Mountain Bikers of Michaux blog, I'm sure you can get tons of recommendations and maybe even someone to show you around since there aren't many good maps of the trails. MBM does a pretty good sized group ride on Thursday evenings from Mont Alto State Park near the southern end of Michaux and a Sunday morning ride from various places around the park. The ride details are posted on the blog above.

mtbr member

camping!

If you plan on going during the warmer months you can always camp in
    michaux.Let me know when you are going to be in michaux and I would be glad
    to show you the trails I know.I hope you like rocks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    yea, I would try to find a local to show you around. There is alot of good stuff not on the race courses and it can be hard finding your way if your not familiar with the area. Post when your planning on coming.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I spent many days at Michaux and I agree with the Grave Ridge suggestion. It is marked Most Difficult but the labels are for ATV not bikes. I see how it would be gnarly for an ATV but for a bike, it is manageable. If you enjoy downhill, try Big Flat trail, it's about a 30-45 minute UP and that same trail is about 5 minutes down give or take. There are so many trails that you could ride for a week and never ride the same trail twice! I also recommend trying Pole Steeple. I has some sharp hairpins and is very technical. Cannot be done going up but going down is a blast. You will see that out at Michaux, there is no small uphill. All climbs seem to go on forever but it is definitely worth the effort. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The tentative dates are June 5-8. We'll be sure to post again closer to that time and see what locals are available to show us around. We do appreciate all the help we've gotten so far on the lodging front.

rshank3499, do you have any more information about the state-owned cabing that you stayed at? It's near Caledonia SP--is there decent riding there? Can we pedal from there to the good trails in Michaux?

BTW, we are all experienced technical riders. Rocks and roots are our friends. We are coming from the Philadelphia area and love the trails in Jim Thorpe, French Creek, Rothrock, Slatyfork WV, etc.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    May 2004

Youth hostel

I would highly recommend the hostel at Pine Grove Furnace State Park. It's very close to some of the best stuff in central/northern Michaux. Also it's just a short drive from the southern end of Michaux and all the fun located there. I love to ride this area of the forest. Rocks, rocks, and more rocks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Granite Hill Camping Resort??

Anybody have any real world experience with the Granite Hill Camping Resort? All of the modern cabins we found in the area are booked up. Is this one close enough (within reasonable riding distance) from the trails? They seem kind of like a family-oriented place, which may not fly too well with some "420" members of the crew.

Thanks!

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Granite Hill sponsors the Michaux race series and is located only a few miles from the parking lot where the Teaberry race starts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    so granite hill is bike friendly. is it a "crowded" camp site where a group of 8 riders would get the stink eye?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Granite Hill?

Granite Hill Campground looks like our best lodging choice (for cabins). Aside from the start of the Teaberry race, is there enough riding within easy riding distance (<5 mi) from the park to get two good solid rides out of? The third ride/day we'd probably drive to another spot in Michaux.

Also, any directions to the actual trails from the campground would be helpful!

Thanks,

Jeremy