Thread: Michaeux ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Michaeux ?

hi, I've been thinking of playing hooky from work tomorrow and visiting the trails in the Michaeux (sp?) State Forrest (Dark Hollow course) .... Firearm deer season doesn't start til later in the week right? ... Do they have bears up there to be concerned about? ... any advice welcome, thanks D

mtbr member
    yes there are bear in michaux,but I have never seen one in all the years
    I have been riding the trails.I would not worry about bears at all,but I have seen LOTS of
    hunters out the past few weeks......be careful!!Remeber saftey orange is your friend.
    Tons of great rocky singletrack, have fun.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    yea and tomorrow is still bear season, last day, so leave the brown/black jersey's at home and definitely wear blaze orange if you are gonna head out. Rifle deer season does not start till monday nov 26th

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the advise guys, wore my orange but I only saw one other rider today and no hunters, rode some of the Dark Hollow course, really feel beat up from the rocks!!!! D

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

reserved south mountain

I suspect your ride was spectacular. I went out on sunday afternoon and well, it seemed that I had the mountain all to myself. Not an ATV or bike rider to be seen or heard all day. Just the sound of crunching leaves and crashing rocks. I stayed up on the bendersville road portion of the ATV trails (fender trail, staley alley and the sections that run along slate quarry road). Quite frankly the most difficult ride I had all year long (I loved it though) Difficult because of the thick leave cover. Couldn't find or hold a line since all I could see were leaves. In fact I even had trouble at times even finding the trail. Maybe it was so much fun because it was so much different and challenging than the normal ride. What are your thoughts about riding in thick newly fallen leaves? Do you like it, do you hate it or does it make no difference to you?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jkraft
    .....Couldn't find or hold a line since all I could see were leaves. In fact I even had trouble at times even finding the trail. Maybe it was so much fun because it was so much different and challenging than the normal ride. What are your thoughts about riding in thick newly fallen leaves? Do you like it, do you hate it or does it make no difference to you?
    Nice ride. I would prefer not to ride in deep leaves but I expected that this time of year. I guess the biggest problem is the leaves covered holes that were wanting to suck up the front wheel so I walked down several steep hills that I would normally ride as the leaves were so slippery and I was afraid I'd catch a wheel on something I couldn't see and go over the bars. D