9er
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Messin With Slocum

Some one or many ones has taken a lot of time to improve trails up Francis Slocum Park, but apparently some hole is not happy and has been moving around rocks and logs to mess up the trails, it has to be hikers or hunters.I rode it the other day and came flying over some rocks only to find on the other side someone moved a large landing rock so a hugh hole was created. I withnessed this twice. Be careful in area's that your used to hammering over.
    Last edited by 9er; 01-22-2007 at 09:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Ok, thanks for the head's up. We'll check it out and inform the park ranger.

Strange, you go thru all this trouble and someone has to try to screw it up on everyone. Can you be a little more specific on the area? If we have a better location we can move the game cameras to that area and see if we get them doing it on film, You may be surprised here a little. Since we've been up there doing maintenance work, our rappore with the hunters and hikers has been on the positive side as it is with the recreational riders that are starting to come out, more and more each week, so I wouldn't put the blame on them, unless we have specific proof.

Also, I do know there has been an attempt by some to try to discredit our group. This could be part of it. Just for everyone's information, all our work days and projects are logged with DCNR, hours, projects, and who did what and are on file at the park office and Harrisburg. This is to protect us and the park should something like this happen. One of these idiots might move the rock, create a hole for someone to fall in, and then say "See, they don't know what they're doing"

Sad part of all of this is could be, not saying it is, another cycling group from the area who can no longer turn it into their private practice track. It's open for everyone. Just a heads up guys, you're being watched, you've already been fined, and it will happen again. This from the park Ranger.

Again, thank you 9er for the heads up.

Kevin Czekalski
    Group Co-Ordinator

NEPMTBA

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

messin with slocum

What trails are we to be riding on? Are they marked? If we all keep an eye out, then there will be less of a chance of injury to our fellow riders who want to enjoy the trails. Silverado

mtbr member
    Yes, the trails are marked. The one trail that gets abused the most is the "Yellow" trail, which is off limits to the bikes. Also, another trail that is getting really heavily abused is the small shortcut trail that crosses the dam at the blue trail, or what I beleive is now called "Buck" Trail. We have blocked that access off a few times but people keep moving things to get at it.

If you need a map, I have them here at the shop or just run by the park office and they are in the kiosk outside the door. If you want me to mail you one, just shoot me an email with your addy.They have just been updated. Also, the trails have been recently marked, Orange, Blue, White..and Yellow. Let me clarify the "Yellow" trail a little better. It is ok to ride the Yellow trail if there is a coresponding other color marked on the tree or course marker, like say yellow and blue..but again the solid yellow is a hiker trail only. This trail is closely monitored. You will get warned once if caught, the second time it's gonna cost you some $$.
    We are putting up actual course markers and Kiosks at each trail junction or start point come spring, so there will really no excuse to be "Off Course"

One good thing is the new rangers up there, Kris Baker and Darren, .. are younger guys and have no time for any of the old politically connected crap that this area is famous for. They also will not label all Mt. Bikers as "bad" or ban riding just because of a few jerks that don't want to follow the rules. They will just prosecute heavily those that think they can do what they want up there..and like I said, they have already prooved they mean business. They both ride, hunt and fish and have some real good plans for the park, and we're included in those plans. Don't be surpised if you run into them while riding. You probably won't even know they are the "Men in Charge"

Our land manager for the group, Lee Curry (Proformance Cycle)...went up yesterday and rode the trails to check things out. I haven't heard back from him yet today but I'm sure if anything was amiss he straightened it out, but again, just keep an eye out.

Thanks for your concern Silverado and offer to help keep things right up there. Get involved, join us for work days, and just plain riding fun!

Kevin Czekalski
    NEPMTBA

mtbr member
    May 2006
    kev,have lee phone me when you talk to him.haven't been able to contact him,thanks.

mtbr member
    Will do!!