mtbr member

Merli workday this Sunday!

If anyone is interested in doing some trailwork at Merli this Sunday, let me know. We'll seperate into some different groups and take care of as much as we can. We'll meet in the lower parking lot (by the pond) at 9 and work until we get the trails done on the West side of the pond. The Start loop, The Orange trail, Handlebar, My Brothers trail, Fox Rocks, and Blade.

Bring rakes and loppers. Small saws are good too. ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    Well, Merli has some new Singletrack to ride now. The original intro to the "Orange loop" has been re-routed to avoid the horse barn. The horse trainers had made a second place for the horses to stay behind the barn. This was split so we could ride the Orange loop the way it was meant to be. Recently though, some riders have been up at Merli when the trainers had the trail closed off. There's a ton of hay and mud through that section now. John M. mentioned puting a trail around the stables. I took a look and found a better area that we could use. Like John mentioned too, we have now completly avoided the two big mud areas that never really dry out. We come out about 30' away from the intro to Squeese Play.

Here's the deal. Do the Start Loop and cross the field by the volleyball court (you can try to ride the 4x4's that surround the court here). You'll come to the paved road. Instead of taking the pave' all the way to the horse barn, look on your right. The trail was previously there and marked with red diamonds on the trees. BUT, as soon as you start in, the new section bears to the left. A little climb and the flow comes together for 200'! It will drop you back onto the pavement where you'll cross over and continue up. If you're familiar with Merli and have been down the paved road from the upper parking lot to the lake, you've prolly saw that area to the left and thought about how awesome it would be to but a trail under the pines and through the cliffs. Well, That's right where the trail is! It's some climbing with rockgardens and 3-4' high ledges. We really won't have any erosion problems here due to the structure of the trail. Ken, and Rich G. did some really awesome rock work in this section! The trail switchbacks connecting about 4-5 of these stone ledges together and will drop you out about 30 feet short of Squeese Play. At this point you're back on the Orange loop.

We have more trail's to add up here. Mainly to avoid the access roads and logging roads. There will be some more work done to the trails this summer. I'll post work days and updates. ttyl, Fahn
    Last edited by LarryFahn; 04-21-2008 at 07:58 PM.