Thread: Merli updates

mtbr member

Merli updates

4-24-06
    We had our meeting last night. We're trying to work with the equestrians and imba as to how the trails should be made. We're going to have to do everything officially. We can't just show up and cut what we want. One thing we're working TOGETHER on, is that the side loops aren't for the horses. This is for saftey. As Merli riders know, it's tight and twisty. We both agreed that it's unsafe to come around a cliff or a sharp turn and startle the horses. IF the timbering continues, the equine's want to do the exporting! Less skid steering roads! That's "IF". Hubbard has 7-8 people on the steering comittee that represent different sports, snowshoeing, biking, trail running, hiking...We're the messengers for the outdoor enthusiast. Our next meeting will be in june. Any info we get, I'll try to post. For this meeting, we just wanted to see what we're dealing with. The meeting lasted about 1 1/2 hrs.
    Things that were talked about:
    -The playground will go in down by the lake. The forest will not be disturbed. This was handled in 5 minutes.
    -It's understood that the equines and bikers want to work together on the trails. (Further ?'s, Will we do the work , and then have them timber over it? If so why do the work?)
    -They're talking about puting in a boat launch area made with concrete = less erosion, BUT, Next meeting, we will stress that they need to do the research that was recommended by Ernie Keller. (highly respectable and on our side) Why do the dammage and fix it 10 years later? It's called prevention.
    -Holding a meeting between IMBA and the equine's.
    -Camping...To be or not to be? That is the question! They're talking about rustic camping. No showers. Specific campsites off in the distance of the park. This is up in the air and there are pros and cons to this. There would be only 15 or so, sites.

Realize, we can't adress just the bikers concerns. BUT, if we can work well with other user groups, they can help us in the long run... One hand washes the other. LarryFahn.

^ The Trail Starts Here ^
    Larry:

Thanks for the update. I just don't agree with IMBA being there! Sorry!

It sounds great though. I hope the trails are as good as they were back in the day.
    [SIZE=3] Proformance Cycle[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    my better judgment says not to ask this question, but.....

why not have imba there?

Hackamo:

Do you REALLY wanna know?
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    no, not really than i guess there's no need for me then. Good riding everyone!

mtbr member
    The reason we want IMBA involved is that they have been here and dealt with this how many times? They deal with the senate and congressmen. It's a lot better to have an organization involved who can help by telling you who to contact and what to do next, rather than Tom, Dick and Harry, that heard something and they don't know what it means. We know what they don't... The local govt. They know what we don't... What's next and who to deal with, and what's next. IMBA can't stop and handle one problem at a time. They don't stop everything to handle a loss of 30 miles of trails. They try to handle the "higher-up's" to prevent ruining the trails and from us being forgotten now and in the future. I'm not arguing, just speaking from our view.

mtbr member
    lary fortunately we're on the same page but some may not agree.

larry just give me a call or email.

transue@msn.com
    610-533-0942

I see your point of view. Your decesion. I was asked "why not have IMBA there" Just responding.

My point, IMBA...........well get in the ring!

You have heard it all before from me! They are like FEMA. Too Late, Too Little! There was not enough effort at Merli from them in the beginning as well as other places. Bla Bla Bla Bla..... Go'in racing tomorrow don't really care...... Bla Bla..........

But, I'm nobody so what do I know? LOL

Trolls International
    Still Rid'in, Still, and never an IMBA member!

Thanks
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    larry, sorry i don't accept the "i'm nobody what do i know" tag line at the end. it makes me look like i'm trying to be right. i'm just trying to help. I apologize AGAIN but i personally feel like your expectations we're somewhat realistic.

maybe one day we'll talk and figure something out.

good luck in your race tomorrow.

610-533-0942

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hackamo
    larry, sorry i don't accept the...
    ?...Lee?

mtbr member
    sorry, my fingers were typing faster than my brain.....kind of like riding over rocks!!!!