^ The Trail Starts Here ^

Good job! Merli-Sarnoski Workday/Ride/Cookout 7/21/07

[SIZE="2"]To all:

Hubbard Bicycle Club member Rob Gregory organized a Workday with members of Hubbard bicycle club along with NEPMTBA and held a Workday/Ride/Cookout on 7/21/07 at Merli-Sarnoski Park near Carbondale, Pa.

A Great time was had by all! Lot's of trails are Groomed and Improved. Ride'em!
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] Proformance Cycle[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    So here it goes...

As I pull into Merli, Lee's already there. We started talking bout what and where we need to get done. Next pulls in Rich and Neil. John Mercuri pulls in on his bike as he was already testing our previous work. John Grabowski comes in next. Neil, John, and John are starting on "My Brothers trail". Neil is pruning and John and John are raking. Me, Lee and Rich head up to cut the downed tree on "Squeeze Play". Randy was just pulling in as we were heading in. He went to start raking "Fox Rocks" in reverse. He saw Laura and Scott coming in and had them start Blade in reverse! Half an hour later and 3 tired arms from sawing a 14" Oak tree and the trail is cleaned. This meant that we had 10 people on 4 diferent trails at once! When Lee, Rich and me finished Squeeze Play we started down to meet the guys on My Brothers trail and we would reverse in until we met them. We ran into Jay and picked up the hitch hiker. Jay and Rich worked on Fox Rocks, and Lee and me went into My Bro trail in reverse. John, John, and Neil were just coming out. Both Johns had to leave at this point. Scott and Laura were doing Blade. Randy finished reverse raking Fox Rocks. Neil, Lee and me went in to trim some limbs on Fox Rocks in reverse and Jay and Rich were raking Fox Rocks forward. Randy finished FR and continued down the Orange trail to the field. Neil had to exit at this time, but the rest of us went to continue on to help Scott and Laura on Blade. When we got there, they were done. They did the entire trail on their own! All of us decided to walk it forward this time as Lee and Rich got to ride it and tell us what they thought... It brings a new meaning to "rider input"! I was raking just ahead of Rich. He said he felt like a king. The trails on the West side are now done! HR 280 and the Orange- from Handlebar down to the lake, won't be groomed at this time.

As we finished, Laura, Scott, and Rich departed. It was time for lunch! We had a nice cookout as the temperature was about 75. With the grill lit, we awaited the hot sausage and hamburgers. Jay was messing around on the rocks with his trials bike and Lee, Randy and me were enjoying the views of the beach and what was ON the beach! After packing on the calories, we figured we'd go burn them back off.

The trail work had paid off! IF YOU DREAM OF SWEET SINGLETRACK, GET UP HERE AND RIDE!!! the lines are defined. We didn't "sanitize" the trails. We raked off the leaves and twigs and left a difinitave line. You can see the trails now. There were parts that we were riding all at the same pace and keeping the same distance in between the whole time. It was un- *&^%ing -believable!

I don't expect you to understand how great it is. But if you ride it, let us know what you think! ttyl, Fahn

PS. Thanks to the members of NEPMTBA and Hubbard. Lee, John G, John M, Neil, Jay, Randy, Laura, Scott, and Rich for showing up on 3 days notice and doing such a tremendous and outstanding job.
    Last edited by LarryFahn; 07-23-2007 at 07:22 PM.

Wizard of the Trail
    As I was saying to my imaginary friend Larry (not Larry F), that the trails look like something you see in a magazine. Very nice indeed!!! The only thing I can't figure out is how did Lee know I photoshopped those pics? LOL
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

Good job!

[SIZE="2"]To all:

I gotta add:

We had fun doing this! Yes we worked hard, but since we have all formed together as a big group we always seem to pull off the impossible. I wasn't able to get the chainsaw due to both of them being loaned out to someone else at my shop, yet Rich nor Rob minded, all of us cutting a 14 inch tree with "HAND" saws and a few squirts of WD 40. The people I have met from Hubbard and other clubs are true experts and enthusiasts at preparing a trail to perfection. There is never any arguing or bickering about who, how, or why we do what we do. Everyone does a Fantastic job!

As for the Trails: I have been at Merli since we first raced there back in the 1990's. Back in the day the trails were very rocky and difficult to ride. As Rob and I rode. I spoke on this about how much the bikes must have improved today. When we stopped Rob pointed out the bikes He, Jay and I were on, were from the late 1990's! We were having so much fun it just all came together. It Didn't matter what we ride or how we ride the point is the trails are Excellent! We are very lucky to ride in an area where we have 5 places to ride in a 40 mile radius. Merli is one of them. The pic below is L to R Jay, Rob, Randy

You can find more pics on:http://pic5.piczo.com/nepmtba/?g=43148087&cr=5

Oh Ya Randy: Bring Larry to Hubbard with yourself on Thursday night and if only one shows up we will still ride and eat at John's Hubbard, a GREAT Place. John is the Walrus!
    LOL!
    [/SIZE]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member

Good job! Nice Job and Thanks to all............

Can't wait to get out to Merli and Prompton this year...haven't made it there yet but plan to soon. Thanks again to all.
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Quote Originally Posted by JeffSkisMontana
    Can't wait to get out to Merli and Prompton this year...haven't made it there yet but plan to soon. Thanks again to all.
    Jeff:

Riding at Hubbard Thursday?
    proformance58@cs.com

I'm on fire.
    Thanks for all your hard work guys. We came down yesterday and had a great ride.
    Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.
    Cycle CNY