mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Merli Sarnoski trail confusion ?? - had map w/us

but ran out of trail shortly after getting on at the bike trail marker right by the parking lot near the ranger station (shown in the video posted in the other Merli thread). Ended up by the ranger's horse stable area and could not find any other red or blue markers.

What are some good landmarks for the trails at Merli? The map looks like a simple loop to follow but we managed to miss something along the way. Was having pedal problems as well which did not help things to be sure.

Years ago we had walked around the lake and ended up taking a path up to a large field that overlooked Carbondale I believe. Is that one of the bike trails?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by nepanite
    but ran out of trail shortly after getting on at the bike trail marker right by the parking lot near the ranger station (shown in the video posted in the other Merli thread). Ended up by the ranger's horse stable area and could not find any other red or blue markers.
    The horse stables are only a few years old and were built in the middle of what was once the trail. You have to go behind the stables and the trail picks up again.

Years ago we had walked around the lake and ended up taking a path up to a large field that overlooked Carbondale I believe. Is that one of the bike trails?
    Yes - See Trail Map. It's the spot called "The Field."

wounded knee
    I did the same thing twice when I was there, the second time at the stable, I nervously went behind it hoping the trail was there, and it was, very confusing.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Wizard of the Trail
    There is actually a re route to stay away from the horse barn called vintage. Take the start loop and it will dump you out at the basketball court. Get back on the road Taking a left downhill and start looking on the right for a cut in. The trail then goes down, over a bridge, then turns left and returns to the road. Cross the road and catch more single track. This will dump you out on the orange trail. A left will take you to the horse barn where dirtrider 6 came in. A right to the trail system.
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

mtbr member
    Close Geist, but you missed Vintage. Come out to the basketball court and go to the road. Make the left and look to your right. Cut in on this trail, but hang a left. You'll cross the road again and pedal uphill around some rocks. This takes you out to Squeeze Play. If you crossed the bridge, you missed the turn 30' in the woods. Luckily, everyone takes Vintage anymore and the other trail is grown in. Since the horse riders put up their stable, they close a section that crosses the original trail. They're supposed to open it when the horses are in the other pen, but never do. Vintage, sometimes called No More Horse Schitt" by some was our alternative to it. Ttyl, Fahn

Ps. If you can't find Vintage, take the paved road toward the lake and you'll see an interesting rock section on your left. This is the later part of Vintage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    By stables, do you mean the building next to the pens? Not sure which of the outbuildings that the trail would have been behind. Just trying to pinpoint this better since we did go down the road to the beach and were looking for other cut ins to the trail (figuring that there would be some) but did not see them. Hate to waste another trip up there and not find the loop. Thanks,

mtbr member
    Yes.

Where do you live? I might hit Merli this weekend. If you want to get together and ride, let me know. Ttyl, Fahn

Wizard of the Trail
    Nepanite, just head down the road, pass the entrance to the horse barn off. You will see some rock and pine trees on the left. You have to really look because it seems like there isn't alot of traffic on it. I think I did see some pink ribbons there as well. If you absolitely can't find it, just go behind the horse barn and catch the orange trail. You will hit mud coming in from that direction. The new section passes all that off. LF, didn't know there was a left before the bridge. I will have to look for it next time.
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.