psycho cyclo addict

Merli-Sarnoski Park trail conditions

Anyone ridden the trails around Carbondale, PA recently? I'm thinking of checking them out on an upcoming road trip and wondered what to expect for trail conditions. I might check out Prompton State Park trails too if I have enough time.

mtbr member
    I have not been to Merli in a couple weeks.. We had some heavy rain this past weekend. Also about 10 days ago there was a pretty good storm that knocked down some trees. Not sure how it affected Merli. You may want to check out Moosic which is not that far from Merli. Its about 1/2 hr south. There is also Lackawanna which is more to the west. I like it a lot better then Merli.
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

psycho cyclo addict
    Cool- thanks for the info... visiting family that lives very close to Merli. Might check out Moosic on the way home.

Nuttin better than Bosak's and Windsor's wings. Bringin a cooler along to stock up on kielbasi and get some hot wings or pirogi's.

mtbr member
    Merli is in good shape. Hit it! Avoid Lackawanna (LSP) after it rains for a couple days. If it's dry, hit that too. Merli is more technical. Ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn View Post
    Merli is in good shape. Hit it! Avoid Lackawanna (LSP) after it rains for a couple days. If it's dry, hit that too. Merli is more technical. Ttyl, Fahn
    Rob do you know if there is a crew that maintains Lackawanna? I rode on grouse trail today and it looked like it had not been cleared in a very long time.
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

mtbr member
    Yeah, Joe T. is the one in charge at LSP. The catch is that there are big projects that he does like raised tread, grass/weed/hay cutting, water crossings, and re-routs. He usually assess the damage the day after a major storm and sends out an email. Usually, 4-8 of u will show up with chainsaws and split into different areas of the park and reopen the trails within 2-3 days of the storm. With that said, typical maintenance such as raking, saplings/branches and other types of manicuring are in the "IF we have time" category. Especially since there's 20+ miles of trails. Cedar bike helped out a lot this year with the re-route of Northwoods. If I have any time this Fall (not looking good!) I'd get up there with the leaf blower and clear some trails. We'll see! Ttyl, Fahn

psycho cyclo addict

Very cool

Had fun... lots of fun rocks and wooden TTF's- particularly on the blue trails. It was a bit tricky figuring out which way to go a couple of times (looks as though there are some new trails along with the old ones and I came to a few 5-way decisions where I consulted the GPS).

Merli-Sarnoski Park trail conditions-wheee.jpg

AKA jbev88
    Still questioning why I have not hit this up yet this year... damn!
    Jeff "Bevo"