wounded knee

Merli-Sarnoski Park

I took a trip to Merli-Sarnoski Park on Saturday, first time there, good thing I had a good trail map on me, you can really get turned around up there.

I didn't start till 1:30, so I only hit up two of the blue trails off the main red route, Squeezeplay, and Handlebar, but I did do the entire red loop.

The trails are nothing short of amazing, very technical, I used bike skills I didn't realize I aquired yet!

At the end of the red loop, that crazy drop down to the handicap fishing pear, I stated down, andI could see 2 kids scrambling to get out of my way, as I made it to the bottomn, the one kid yelled, THAT WAS WILD!

Here's a rather long video of highlights from the day.

Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Ahh Chuck, we need to hook up...I was looking for a place to go to on Sunday...ended up at Slocum & Red Rock(railbed in Ricketts) for the day. Would have loved to try MS again. Haven't been there in ages. Looks like you had a great ride however.
    Facebook.com/Plains Bike Shop

Did you ever have ham?

Merli-Sarnoski Park

Wow, you weren't kidding yesterday. That does look like a great ride! Outstanding video! There is another place to add to my list of destinations this season. It's gonna be a busy summer between mt biking, mt bike racing, motocross and cross country moto racing. Should be a good year!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by Plains Bike
    Ahh Chuck, we need to hook up...I was looking for a place to go to on Sunday...ended up at Slocum & Red Rock(railbed in Ricketts) for the day. Would have loved to try MS again. Haven't been there in ages. Looks like you had a great ride however.
    I would go again next Saturday (29th) or Sunday in a heart beat, only I would like to start out around 9am, and spend the whole day exploring more of the blue trails.

Who all wants to go?
    Last edited by dirtrider6; 05-17-2010 at 09:32 AM.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Rats.....have to work the shop 'till noon Saturday then planned on heading to Blue Mountain for their opener, then back home to the BMX racing that night..and Sunday is the group's RT ride in Thorpe.

Ah well, I'm sure people are gonna jump on this offer.

wounded knee
    Lets shoot for the following Saturday, the 29th, or Sunday whatevers better, I have a ton of work to get done around the house, I didn't even ride Sunday trying to get a start on it.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by motoman465
    Wow, you weren't kidding yesterday. That does look like a great ride! Outstanding video! There is another place to add to my list of destinations this season. :
    This is definately one to put on the list, I'm going back down next weekend, your welcome to go.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Nice video. If we weren't going to Raystown this weekend, I'd be glad to show you around Merli. The last trail you were on, following the lakeshore, really isn't a trail. The trail turns to the left as you're coming up the fireroad from the field before you get to the lake. Glad you enjoyed the ride!

mtbr member
    Sunday is a better day for me..and like you this past Saturday I spent doing yard work and reassembling my shed that the wind tore down...so, again, Sunday the 30th is cool by me, but don't let my schedule impede anyone else if they want to go sooner.

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by SLAMA
    Nice video. If we weren't going to Raystown this weekend, I'd be glad to show you around Merli. The last trail you were on, following the lakeshore, really isn't a trail. The trail turns to the left as you're coming up the fireroad from the field before you get to the lake. Glad you enjoyed the ride!
    Thanks, I usually don't make the video's that long, but what the heck, I had a lot of good fresh footage.
    I wish the trails were marked with names, good thing I had the map, I did the first trail twice, the first time I was spit out by the Horses and the shed, so I turned around and started over, figuring I missed something, the second time I went by the shed, and was confused again where to go, so I went behind the shed hoping that was the right way and thankfully it was, I must have mised that last turn before the lake.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Wizard of the Trail
    Merli is an awesome trail system to ride. It is one of my favorite places, but I have only ridden it twice this year. I have been riding the Moosic Mountain trails alot. I am really loving that place. Glad you had a great time bro.
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by Plains Bike
    Sunday is a better day for me..and like you this past Saturday I spent doing yard work and reassembling my shed that the wind tore down...so, again, Sunday the 30th is cool by me, but don't let my schedule impede anyone else if they want to go sooner.
    Sunday is fine with me, by then I'll need a rest from all the work around the house.

After watching the video again at 3:17 I was play riding on that uphill rock face that was a cliff on the other side, I didnt realize how close my tire was to the edge, holy crap!
    Last edited by dirtrider6; 05-17-2010 at 01:03 PM.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    looks like awesome fun and I have a graduation party that's about 10 minutes away in a few weeks. Is it doable on a rigid 29er SS or would it beat the hell out you, opinions please?

There's also Promton that also looks very cool, would it be better for a rigid?
    26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by john.wilkinson@datacon.at
    looks like awesome fun and I have a graduation party that's about 10 minutes away in a few weeks. Is it doable on a rigid 29er SS or would it beat the hell out you, opinions please?

I have seen Lee do everything on a rigid 29er,
    It is very rocky, I only have a Hardrock (crappy fork) but it worked very well up there, I was really surprised.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by john.wilkinson@datacon.at

I just started riding a rigid 29er SS and out of all the trail systems I usually ride...Merli, Lackawanna State Park, Moosic Mtn, Hubbard...Merli is the most difficult. I don't think it's due to the lack of suspension as much as the one-gear. It's definitely rideable on a rigid SS though, you might just have to use your walking gear occassionally or frequently.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider6
    Thanks, I usually don't make the video's that long, but what the heck, I had a lot of good fresh footage.
    I wish the trails were marked with names, good thing I had the map, I did the first trail twice, the first time I was spit out by the Horses and the shed, so I turned around and started over, figuring I missed something, the second time I went by the shed, and was confused again where to go, so I went behind the shed hoping that was the right way and thankfully it was, I must have mised that last turn before the lake.
    I thought you were riding Merli this weekend not next...my mistake. My wife and I might be able to make it on the 30th if you guys would like someone to show you around. Lee also knows the trails well there too if he is joining you. Let me know.
    Thanks,
    Scott

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by SLAMA
    I thought you were riding Merli this weekend not next...my mistake. My wife and I might be able to make it on the 30th if you guys would like someone to show you around. Lee also knows the trails well there too if he is joining you. Let me know.
    Thanks,
    Scott
    The 30th just seems better to me, I have a ton of work to get done around the house, (appraisal) work that was put off last year due to a injury.
    I would really like to get a group together, I'm not a hammer rider, just a heads up.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

wounded knee
    Anyone up for a ride here on Saturday or Sunday?
    I really need to get a ride in!, and a break from working on the House.
    Chuck
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock