Thread: Merli Sarnoski

mtbr member

Merli Sarnoski

Hi there Pa riders a New Yorker here. I've ridden Prompton several times and it gets better each time.

I've ridden down the O&W rail trail to the town of Simpson where it comes out by the tank and was wondering how far to Merli from here and can it be ridden to safely?. would it be worth the trip,are the trails comparable to Prompton?
    It's 20+ miles one way to Simpson that i'll be pedaling a loaded Fat bike =not sure of the exact weight but it's pretty darn heavy= a good warm up.

Any help would be appreciated. THANKS.
    -TORQUE-

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm not sure of either of your two questions but I will say that Merli is fantastic. Nice and technical and definitely worth a trip. I've only been there once, on my first Pugsley, and had a blast. Did about 16 miles I think, I was shot at the end
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Simpson to Merli is less than 10 miles for sure. I'm not sure how far exactly, but you're in the same Township to say the least. If you like Prompton, you'll like Merli. It's consistently rocky unlike Prompton, but has some similar sections too. Merli is up, down, up, down, up, down and you're finished. You can do the main loop and all the side loops (skip hr280) and end up around 17 miles. You'll feel spent, but in a good way. Start on the Start Loop and ride in a clockwise direction for best results. Hope this helps. Ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info guys will have to check it out next time I'm there.

BTW,does the O&W rail trail continue past Simpson? a Google search shows it going to Scranton or at least the rail line did back in the day but I couldn't find the trail head once I exited the park with the tank, so I rode down Rt6 to the mini mart got a bite to eat and then headed back home.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Check out Lackawanna Heritage Valley Authority (LHVA) | Where Americas Story Lives for more info on the rail-trail south of Simpson. It gets a little chopped up after that, but there are some good sections.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by momobiker View Post
    Check out Lackawanna Heritage Valley Authority (LHVA) | Where Americas Story Lives for more info on the rail-trail south of Simpson. It gets a little chopped up after that, but there are some good sections.
    Thanks for the link.