mtbr member
    May 2007

Memorial Day Weekend in the Poconos

Hi, I'm new on these boards (first post) and new to mountain biking. I've gone once in my life about 10 years ago at Killington and have been riding a road bike for the past 3 years, which makes me pretty much a complete newbie... I just bought a new Iron Horse Warrior Trail DS mtn bike and am excited to use it.

I'm going to be spending memorial day weekend in the poconos and saw some stuff about mountain biking in Jim Thorpe, I see that it is supposed to be very scenic and easy stuff... I'll be going with other ppl who would be renting bikes and complete novices as well. My question is, is it worth it or am I better of going elsewhere? I enjoy great scenery btw... and if it is, which trail should I choose?

-Ray

Uphill hater

Switchback

Ray, get ready for loads of thoughts on this and all will be very good advice. Lath will hopefully chime in and provide the expert advice but I can tell you that riding up the switchback to the top give you a great scenic view and it's easy enough. It's such a nice ride that you really don't realize you're pedaling up a hill. Have fun and enjoy the weekend.
    Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

My blog

mtbr member
    May 2007
    thanks for the advice gunner, so the switchback trail is even more scenic than lehigh gorge? or is it just be better overall of the 2 trails in your opinion?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I tried to do the Switchback trail over the weekend and a couple of my friends needed to rent bikes so we started at the base at Blue Mountain Sports and let me tell anyone who is looking to do this trail from that starting point... the road that you have to go up to get to the trailhead is absolutely insane, especially on a DH mountain bike. We opted to not get the shuttle and instead we killed almost all our water by the time we reached the trail head and ended up not finishing the trail because everyone felt too dehydrated... Next time I will get the shuttle and actually enjoy the trail...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

not that far

From the shop to the trailhead it's only about 4.5 miles. It's mostly uphill but it's not that bad of a ride. Plus there's the Mauch Chunk Lake Park right across the street with water.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    the reason it was extremely bad for me is because I have a condition called anhidrosis where I can't sweat out of most of my body and this causes me to overheat... at the top of the hill I was already overheating and one person in my group who is out of shape felt very nauseated...

then to make matters worse, at one fork we decided to go the wrong way, where it went downhill, after coming upon a street and houses we figured we had to go back up and exert ourselves more... I guess the rest of the group was ok, so it probably wasn't too bad and would've been fine if it wasn't hot outside..

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Quote Originally Posted by ffsxray
    the road that you have to go up to get to the trailhead is absolutely insane, especially on a DH mountain bike. .
    Insane hill? I'm guessing you went up Hill Rd.? Yea pretty darn steep.
    You could've just headed up W. Broadway (blue line on map). The distance from the bike shop to where the switchback gravel path starts (green line on map) @ Flagstaff Rd is only 1.8 mi. From Flagstaff Rd to the park entrance is 2.5 mi.
    If you want a nice climb, try going up Flagstaff Rd. next time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2007
    yep, Hill Rd would be it, thanks for the illustration... it was a treacherous climb, I wish I knew it could've been avoided... well next time i'll take the other route and bring more water... I had no idea the lake was so close, if I had known I would've continued to take a dip...