SS Rider

New question here. Mechanicsburg riding

I am looking at the possibility of moving to Mechanicsburg PA and I was curious as to what the trail riding was like in the area. Right now I live in Colorado springs CO and there are trails systems all over the city. I am looking for somewhat technical trail riding. Does anyone else live in the area?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mechanicsburg is very close to Michaux State Forest, about a 1/2 hr drive. There is a race there this weekend. Chris Eautough, the 24 hr solo world champion, has called this course the most technical cross country race in the country. We don't have the elevation and long climbs like you have in Colorado but we sure have rocks, and technical riding. About 1 1/2 hrs. north is State College, Pa. They hosted the Single Speed World Chamionships there last year and are also home to the Wilderness 101. This is some of the best technical rock riding in the country.

SS Rider
    Glad to hear I have been looking at the pics on this forum and have not seen any rocky areas and that is mainly what I like to ride. Also 1/2 hr sounds close enough that I could try to find a place to live between where I would be working and the trails.

Rat Fink
    Quote Originally Posted by peanut09
    Glad to hear I have been looking at the pics on this forum and have not seen any rocky areas and that is mainly what I like to ride.
    There are LOTS of rocks in central PA, probably not huge rocks like CO but many rails around here are very rocky.

If you end up living to the east of Mechanicsburg, Rocky Ridge in York has decent technical though not super technical trails and wouldn't be much more than 1/2 hr. from you (depending on what time of day you're driving). Just south of York is Wm Kain Park which has lots of single and double track - not very rocky but many trails are a decent aerobic load. That's probably about 15 min south of Rocky Ridge.

French Creek is probably an hour or so east of Mechanicsburg and has lots of rock gardens - not big rocks though and there are lots of baby heads poking up through the trails.

Blue Marsh lake has lots of trails, lots of single track - not too technical though. It's a little closer than French Creek to Mechanicsburg.

Also, try Rattling Creek which is north of Harrisburg. I never rode there but heard lots of good things about it.

If you end up here, post a message or PM me and we'll get you to the trails.
    Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')

Xtreme Lounger
    Quote Originally Posted by peanut09
    Glad to hear I have been looking at the pics on this forum and have not seen any rocky areas and that is mainly what I like to ride.
    Maybe you've been looking in the wrong forums? Here are some pics from Michaux - a killer place to ride and right in your future back yard.

Michaux Horny - part 1 of 3 of a week long road trip.
    Some trail pics, or where's Waldo?

Pics from Rattling Creek -north of Harrisburg
    RCST. Part 2 of 3 of a week long road trip.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Those are some great riding pics from Michaux and Rattling Creek. I like how you included pictures of the snake and turkey as well. The Michaux race should be fun tomorrow with all the rain we are getting. I hope the rain stops before the race starts.

Rat Fink
    Here's the Rattling Creek club website: http://home.epix.net/~rebjsw/RCSTWeb/
    There are some good pictures in there somewhere.

Lots of the trails in PA look like those at Michaux and Rattling Creek.
    Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    My wife and I are making a trip back to Mburg in a few weeks and were wondering if it was worth it to get some bad gas mileage and bring the bikes. After seeing some of the pix of the "local" trails I think we might just have to bring them. We lived out there a few years ago but I wasn't into biking that much back then.We're only going to be out there for 4 days and probably only be able to ride two of those. So please, someone convince me to bring the bikes or not. BTW it is a 11 to 12 hour drive from Chicago.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    or better yet, are there any shops in the area that rent bikes?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

rocky

Unsuspended:
    For rentals try Wildware Backcountry in the HBG/M-burg area. Other shops that might have or know- Pedal Pusher, Mt.side Ski and Bike. For Michaux- Gettysburg bikes seems to be the shop down that way. Let me know when your coming owt- I am just learning Rattling Creek area, know some of Michaux and could show you some rocky technical sections in the general area.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I've checked out all of the shops in the area and nobody rents mountain bikes. I'm keeping my eye on the weather before I make the call to load the bikes up or not.

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    Unless the weather is going to be really nasty, I would bring the bikes. It would be a shame to be right there but not ride. The area is not overrated and who knows when you'll get another chance to ride there.

Jack

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I've got my eyes on the weather for our trip to PA and it doesn't seem to be looking good. If anyone is out at Michaux and can give me a trail update, that would help alot. I don't want to get all psyched up and drive my bikes 12 hours to get rained out or have the trails be closed because they are too soft. Let me know, thanks,

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I can't give you a current trail report but I can tell you they never close the trails because of weather.

mtbr member
    There are plenty of trails out there that really don't suffer too much from the rain.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm bringing the bikes. What is the word on the best place to park and what the good trails are? I've never been there, but heard that nothing is well marked. Let me know if there are any costs either i.e trail passes, parking.