Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    95

    MASS #3 - Neshaminy - Sun. 5/21/06

    Can anyone give a course description of the Neshaminy race? How does it compare to French Creek or Granogue, or other trails in the area? Is the race course on a normally public trail? Looking forward to going there on Sunday. I'm hoping for some drier conditions. The sloppy conditions at French Creek did a number on my bike and the wet roots at Granogue did a number on my ego. Still havin' fun, though.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by lampeterbiker
    Can anyone give a course description of the Neshaminy race? How does it compare to French Creek or Granogue, or other trails in the area? Is the race course on a normally public trail? Looking forward to going there on Sunday. I'm hoping for some drier conditions. The sloppy conditions at French Creek did a number on my bike and the wet roots at Granogue did a number on my ego. Still havin' fun, though.
    Neshaminy is a much faster course then both FC and Granogue. Only a couple of climbs (all are pretty short, just somewhat steep) and lots of areas to pass. Lots of roots, a few rocks garden and a couple of wood bridges too. I know a group of riders will be doing a pre ride today at five. And yes the trail is open to the public, but it is on the grounds of a High School. So not to sure how they would feel about riders out there in the middle of the day.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    95

    Are the trails wet?

    We've been getting a fair amount of rain in Southern PA this week. How has the Langhorne area fared? The weather forecast for the weekend isn't looking so great?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by lampeterbiker
    We've been getting a fair amount of rain in Southern PA this week. How has the Langhorne area fared? The weather forecast for the weekend isn't looking so great?
    I'm about 10 miles west of the race area and like you said we've been getting some rain here and there. The course has some spots that could get a little muddy but alot of it is pretty rocky and will drain pretty good. Kind of like Wissa as far as rain goes. The biggest thing will be to be careful on the bridges if it's wet at all.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MonolithicX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    77
    Who's racing at Neshaminy?

    I'm racing Beginner Vet 1. I will be in a Human Zoom racing kit on a black Ellsworth Isis. Light blue, dark blue, white. My friends call me Baker, but you can call me "Passing on your left!" as you go on by.

    Give me a holler if you will be there. Always good to put faces to names (or aliases).

    Hoping there will be fewer off-camber roots than Granoge,
    Baker.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    382

    Trail map

    Anybody have a trail map for Neshaminy (Idlewood)? I've ridden there a few times, but there are a lot of intersecting trails, many that are dead ends, so I tend not to get a good flow. Would love to see a map! Thanks in advance.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,469
    Quote Originally Posted by MonolithicX
    Who's racing at Neshaminy?

    I'm racing Beginner Vet 1. I will be in a Human Zoom racing kit on a black Ellsworth Isis. Light blue, dark blue, white. My friends call me Baker, but you can call me "Passing on your left!" as you go on by.

    Give me a holler if you will be there. Always good to put faces to names (or aliases).

    Hoping there will be fewer off-camber roots than Granoge,
    Baker.

    i'll be there hangin with the trophy bikes guys (but not representin cause my jersey hasn't arrived yet).

    i'll be riding a BIG yellow rigid 29er singlespeed racing in the sport singlespeed class.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    374
    i'll be there as well in beginner sporting a beat looking red NRS.

    a few friends and i are gonna pre-ride tonight at 6-ish if anyone is interested.

    Hoping there will be fewer off-camber roots than Granoge,
    interesting because i ran beginner at granogue as well i didn't really think the roots & bridges were bad. at least not compared to what the sport class had to deal with.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MonolithicX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceh
    interesting because i ran beginner at granogue as well i didn't really think the roots & bridges were bad. at least not compared to what the sport class had to deal with.
    I just hate wet roots, and they hate me.

    I do agree about the bridges after their, "RIDE THE BRIDGES AND DIE!" speech at the pre-race meeting the bridges didn't really seem that bad. Except for the one made out of logs they were all pretty wide, and in good shape from what I recall.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    374
    i did about a half lap warm up about 1 hour before the race which consisted of that first section in the woods with the multiple bridge cossings. i can tell you for sure it was much worse at that time so i couldn't imagine how it would have been in the rain.

    i got to the first real bridge not even thinking about it being wet, even though i heard the wet bridge speech during the elite pre-race meeting. fortunately when i slid on the bridge it was forwards rather than to the side and i didn't eat it, i've heard there were many who did.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    55
    I raced Granogue last week - it was my first race in 3 years. I raced Sport II (30-34) and I forgot how tough mountain bike racing is.

    Oddly enough, my last race was at Neshaminy. I am thinking about racing this Sunday. I took a dive on my road bike Tuesday and I am very sore.

    If I go, all you sportsters look out for the kook on the Jamis Exile Red/ Black in Sport II NOT wearing a team jersey or kit.

    BTW At Granogue, on the 2nd lap, after that course marshall warned me about the bridges being wet, I totally dived off the that bridge. I hate wet bridges

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,412
    Ill be down racing 30-34 beginner on a red 'built like a tank' chameleon....havent raced since 2004, and havent riddin since last tuesday, so we shall see how I fare...

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    374
    dankilling - you and i will be in the same class. i'll say hi on the line.

    i road the course tonight. will be interesting if it rains between now and then. i was on my SS with racing ralphs, so not the ideal tires, and there were a few hill i couldn't climb just because i didn't have the traction. i road with a friend who also road last night and said the conditions were much better tonight so if the weather stays good it seems like the course will be good.

  14. #14
    cmh
    cmh is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    i'll be there hangin with the trophy bikes guys (but not representin cause my jersey hasn't arrived yet).

    i'll be riding a BIG yellow rigid 29er singlespeed racing in the sport singlespeed class.
    This you at French Creek?

    http://www.pbase.com/cmh/image/59193223

  15. #15
    cmh
    cmh is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceh
    dankilling - you and i will be in the same class. i'll say hi on the line.

    i road the course tonight. will be interesting if it rains between now and then. i was on my SS with racing ralphs, so not the ideal tires, and there were a few hill i couldn't climb just because i didn't have the traction. i road with a friend who also road last night and said the conditions were much better tonight so if the weather stays good it seems like the course will be good.
    Insert comment from named friend...

    Yeah, Thursday it had rained a couple times before I met up with Doug and Bill from Guy's Racing. It was wet and slippy damn near everywhere. Yesterday there were spots where it had actually dried out and things were improving quickly. Like Lance said, still a bunch of muddy spots, and even if it's dry and warm today there will still be some on race day, but it should be way better than after Thursday's rains.

    It's a sweet course. There are a bunch of logovers, and some look very intimidating but every single one is doable, just keep your flow and you'll be fine. A couple of bridges, but even on Thursday when they were wet, no real problems as long as you ride them straight and don't try anything stupid, like pedalling, braking, or changing directions.

    At the top of one climb there is a two bridge combo (within 100 feet) followed by a right turn uphill through a rocky/rooty section. Doable but not easy, best bet might be to be ready to hop off after the second bridge and run up until you can remount.

    I would say when it comes to tire choice, something that works well in mud would NOT be a bad idea. There is a section of new trail which has a bunch of off-camber stuff and is still very loamy and is gonna stay that way for a while. Lance ran Ralphs and I was running 29er ExiWolfs and we both had lots of fun with spinning wheels. My wife kept asking if her (brand new) Fire XC Pros were worn out, but I still think she was doing better than us.

    Think that's it. Fun course, no matter what speed you take it. If I decide to run it I'll be Beg Vet 1, just look for the big jackass on the brown rigid 1x9 Karate Monkey. Otherwise I'll be doing camera duty again: http://pbase.com/cmh

    Oh, and BTW, dankilling, watch out for Lance's sprint. Dude has been getting fast with all that singlespeeding.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,412
    Quote Originally Posted by cmh
    Oh, and BTW, dankilling, watch out for Lance's sprint. Dude has been getting fast with all that singlespeeding.
    Heh- Ill be smiling as he pulls away from me

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    374
    nothing like a bit of pre-race mind games. huhuhu

    just got back from 2 laps at neshaminy. the course is drying up nicely, hopefully no rain before the race.

  18. #18
    cmh
    cmh is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceh
    nothing like a bit of pre-race mind games. huhuhu

    just got back from 2 laps at neshaminy. the course is drying up nicely, hopefully no rain before the race.
    Just got back from our preride - and the course is beautiful. Only one place where it wasn't marked so great but there were some motorcyclists on the trails and we actually heard them stop and say "wanna blow through it?" and saw a couple places where they obviously tore stuff down. Asshats.

    Anyhow, like I said, the course is great, drying up nicely, and they cut out what was a *hairy* downhill followed by a long uphill, so there isn't really any extended climbing. {chris jumps for joy} Looks like the weather is gonna be top notch, too.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    374
    hope everyone did well. i'm now really wishing i had made it.

    i was at a party last night and beer pong got the best of me. our team just kept winning and it's just not right retiring as the champ. huhuhu

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,412
    had a good time- raced, finished, didnt come in last Course was still pretty greasy in spots, but overall was pretty good.I just need to get a lighter bike...

  21. #21
    cmh
    cmh is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceh
    hope everyone did well. i'm now really wishing i had made it.

    i was at a party last night and beer pong got the best of me. our team just kept winning and it's just not right retiring as the champ. huhuhu
    Excuses!!

    Met Max (max-a-mill) and Baker (Monolithic X) there, sorry I didn't see you, dankilling! By the way, Max -- did you decide against entering? Max forgot his shoes and wound up borrowing from another friend of Lance and I, but I saw you back in your sandals just before the start of the Sport Singlespeed race. Didn't see ya after that.

    Course was great. What a bunch of fun! Got stupid and stacked it over the first A frame, losing a whole bunch of spots, but worked my way back up to my place -- fourth. Last year I finished fourth in nearly every race I entered, whether it had 5 racers or 30, so apparently 4th place is reserved for me. Not bad, I was really happy with how I did.

    Lance, you coulda done really well there. Beer pong... eesh.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by cmh
    Lance, you coulda done really well there. Beer pong... eesh.

    thanks. i really appreciate you and brian mentioning that.

  23. #23
    cmh
    cmh is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    309
    pictures from the race, mostly sport class...

    http://pbase.com/cmh/guysneshaminy

  24. #24
    Dirt Whore
    Reputation: Pedro K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by cmh
    pictures from the race, mostly sport class...

    http://pbase.com/cmh/guysneshaminy

    Great Pics! I thought the course was pretty cool, The one downhill section was nice, and i liked the trail rode across the slope in one section, that was really cool. I raced sport and I am smoked!!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,469
    Quote Originally Posted by cmh
    Excuses!!

    Met Max (max-a-mill) and Baker (Monolithic X) there, sorry I didn't see you, dankilling! By the way, Max -- did you decide against entering? Max forgot his shoes and wound up borrowing from another friend of Lance and I, but I saw you back in your sandals just before the start of the Sport Singlespeed race.
    so that wasn't my day... first off i got REALLY lost and barely ended up in the parking lot on time. THEN i notice i forgot my shoes...

    as i am just about ready to hang myself for being SO STUPID cmh and one a couple of buddies pull up and introduce themselves and next thing yopu know i am wearing someone elses shoes running over to sign up... THANK YOU SO MUCH (CHRIS?) you and your firends were so freakin nice.

    so anyway i get my paperwork filled out only to be told i am too late. i was in no shape to race expert plus i wanted to get home reasonably early. so i watched one lap of the sports and packed up to go home.

    i musta looked pretty pathetic when i got home so my girlfriend insited at least i get a local ride in so i did.

    BUT I WANTED TO RACE.....

    oh well that course looked fast and woulda torn me up anyway.

    but cmh you and your buddies are really over the top nice! if id'a met you 5 minutes earlier your friends shoes woulda saved the day but; oh well... i hope you found them back in your car. i put them right where my sadals were.

    i'll see you all at the future races and when you come out for hellride! next time i'll have shoes...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •