W.M.A.

New question here. Marsh Creek Race this Sunday

http://www.wallacetwp.org/marsh_creek_race_2006.htm

this will be my 1st attempt at any type of race - looks like it will be a good way to get a feel for it...

anyone else plan on going?

taking my 6 year old too - hope to get him into the kids race.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    unless something comes up i'll be there.

mtbr member
    i'm coming off an inury, sounds like a good kind of comeback race. fast singletrack? rocky?

W.M.A.
    ive ridden there a few times... it is supposed to be primarily on the "BLUE" trail, if you are at all familiar or if you get a chance the check out a map - i dont have one or id post it.

i would say it is not that technical, it is a little bit rocky - but not anything like french creek (from what i hear). the most techical part of this course is a rocky hill that will be a DESCENT on the course - i have never had a problem on it and i am a newbie...

i was told that last year had 90 riders...

hope that helps!

mtbr member
    The Cradle of Liberty Adventure Race, which I'm racing in, is occuring there the same day. I wonder how they are going to keep the races separate?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I might be down for this- how well does the course drain? Anyone have a trail report?

W.M.A.
    i rode there last night - it was not bad at all - a few small muddy patches nothing big.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dankilling
    I might be down for this- how well does the course drain? Anyone have a trail report?
    I haven't been there this week but from past experience, it doesn't seem to get very muddy save for a few sections which generally have alternate ways through. A good day of sun should make dry alot of it up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Cool- for those who have ridden there--any tire recommendations?

W.M.A.
    Quote Originally Posted by dankilling
    Cool- for those who have ridden there--any tire recommendations?

i know this is not going to be very helpful casue i am a newbie...

i am riding with Hutchinson Bulldog Airlight, 26 x 2.1” - the only ones i have or have ridden with - they are working just fine...

there are some rocky spots but nothing major... there is one fairly long descent (the way the course will be laid out) that has a loose rock/gravel section... mostly hard pack... that is my assesment as a newbie, for what its worth.

Uphill hater
    Hey, you've got experience riding there, better than a lot of us! Any info of any kind is VERY useful to me! I'm a very new racer myself, with only one under my belt! Thanks for the tips!
    Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

My blog

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Triple Crown Championships in Philly! Come on. Do you really want to miss it?

Ok, I already know your answer, but I'm feeling pretty pumped to see the peloton raging down Kelly. Anyone else know what I'm talkin about?!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    of course we do but when the choice is between watching bikes or riding bikes i'm always gonna choose riding bikes.

W.M.A.

tips? (x-post kinda)

ok - so im getting ready for this thing - my first one as i mentioned before...

about me: 31 male - not in the best of shape but getting better with each ride...this is my 1st real season of riding...

i entered the sport class - i was told the beginner would only be about a 30 min ride - i needed more than that - the sport is going to be 9-12 miles... - one of my friends that is an avid rider and has raced was kind enough to tell me im going to get smoked - but im not in it to win - just have fun

one of my biggest questions is - what to ride with? heres what ive got planned:

camelback w/h2o
    energy gels
    1 spare tube
    patch kit
    co2
    bike tool w/levers and chain tool incl

i plan on putting it all in my camelback and taking off my normal saddle wedge bag that i ride with.

so thats it - any help, tips, advice or warnings are greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    shadowflag, if you don't mind, could you let me know how you did and what it was like? I'm looking to maybe do my first race soon and you sound like you are in a similar situation that I am. Thanks and good luck!

W.M.A.
    Quote Originally Posted by psunuc
    shadowflag, if you don't mind, could you let me know how you did and what it was like? I'm looking to maybe do my first race soon and you sound like you are in a similar situation that I am. Thanks and good luck!
    gladly - i actually posted it in the XC racing and training forum - that’s where i initially posted the - got some tips?

check it here...
    my first race - tips??

it was a good time and a great experience - i think it was the perfect 1st race since there were only about 60 rides in the sport class as opposed to a few hundred that may be at a larger event.

if you have any specific questions - feel free to ask here or PM me.

FYI they do this race again in the fall...

mtbr member
    Does anyone know who got injured? Are they OK? I was patrolling the course for the Adventure Race that was occuring at the same time, and they brought an ambulance onto the course for someone in the MTB race that was hurt. The took the ambulance somewhere else to get closer so I wasn't able to find anything out.

W.M.A.
    it was one of the riders in expert class...i left before the abmulance got there, but from what i heard they suspected he broke his collar bone... hope it wasnt too serious