mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Marsh Creek parking...and a few other quickies

Headed Marsh Creek (Downingtown,Pa) this weekend, weather permitting, and was wondering the best place to park, and any recommended trail routes?

Also, are there any trail use fees?

I know that French Creek isn't too much further, are there enough trails at Marsh to keep me occupied?

I have been searching and reading some threads, but when I search I keep getting Marsh Creek and Blue Marsh confused...can't take it anymore so i just gotta ask.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    What is your experience level?

Marsh Creek is easier than French Creek in my opinion but both are a lot of fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    experience level-

well I've been riding/racing downhill, dirt jump and bmx for about 6 years so I know I can handle just about anything however,right now (graduated college in the spring) and started working a grown up job so i have been really getting into XC.

Keeps me in shape, don't have to worry as much about showing up to work all busted up and im having a blast with it, great change of pace. so to answer your question, i think my level is pretty high,i ride a SS, and have no problem doing 20-25mile rides.

so im just looking for an enjoyable ride.difficult or not.well, i dont want to ride a bike path obviously.
    Last edited by iBike1120; 09-16-2010 at 06:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm in a very similar boat as you, having graduated this summer and started working a real job. I live very close to Marsh creek and have walked around, but I have not ridden the trails.

I rode street bmx for 10 years and found that much of the skill i had learned transfered over to mountain biking very easily. I also have a SS that I got for cheap. Where we differ is the fact that the last year or so I have put on a decent amount of weight, part of which is due to me not riding that much. I certainly couldnt complain about being big, but my stamina is not what it used to be.

I was planning on a ride at marsh creek this week, but work seems to take up all the daylight. I'm thinking about going tomorrow, since I have half days on fridays, but I'm also interested in night biking with lights.

Whatever the circumstances, we might be able to get together for a ride or something

Does marsh creek dry out quickly? Do you think it would be ok to ride around 1:00 tomorrow after tonight's rain? (sorry for the hyjack)

mtbr member
    http://mappery.com/map-of/Marsh-Creek-State-Park-map

I've only been to marsh creek once but I had a good time. Some of the trails had pretty good flow, and the scenery is nice.

I parked in the west mooring parking lot. From there you ride up the hill then take a right when you hit the farm field. The trails start in the woods to the north.
    Pugsley, Bullit

W.M.A.
    that map is pretty much worthless... it doesnt really have any of the mtb trails on it. do you have a gps?

IMO - best trails are over by the dam side... but a nice loop can be had with the entire park,

also, its called MARSH creek and the name is fitting. it generally does not dry out well.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowflag
    also, its called MARSH creek and the name is fitting. it generally does not dry out well.
    Its dry as a desert right now.

The map isn't worthless, its a start. From the west launch lot if you go to the right follow the trail along the lake that goes all the way over to the dam. Once you cross the dam theres a bunch of stuff in the woods to the right. You ride all that and come back on the same trail to the parking lot.

On the left side there's all kinds of stuff not shown on the map and alot of it is steeper than the other side. Theres alot more interconnecting branches and what not but for the most part if you start heading down, you'll end up at the bottom along the creek, then its a long climb back to the top.

W.M.A.
    ok, not worthless, but will not help much unless you are pretty much staying on all doubletrack...

here is a slightly improved, albeit still outdated, version:

http://forums.mtbr.com/pennsylvania/marsh-creek-536107.html#post5887687

if you have a GPS, there are many tracks of MC on garmin connect.