mtbr member

Marsh Creek info needed

Hey all,

Is there any policy at Marsh Creek about riding the trails after hard rain?

The reason that I ask is that at White Clay Creek they want you to stay off the trails for 24 hours after a hard rain.

I need a place to ride tomorrow!

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Heritage
    Hey all,

Is there any policy at Marsh Creek about riding the trails after hard rain?
    There's no official policy, but if you want to be kind to the trails, you shouldn't ride when it's sloppy.

And Marsh creek gets VERY sloppy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyDean
    There's no official policy, but if you want to be kind to the trails, you shouldn't ride when it's sloppy.

And Marsh creek gets VERY sloppy.
    Damn!

I know.....looks like I am staying home.

Just started this and I am hooked.

mtbr member
    how about French Creek? The trails drain well there.
    Lance who?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PAMTB'r
    how about French Creek? The trails drain well there.

Not this weekend. Too far for me to drive with the work load this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Mt. Penn is my rainy day standby. I've ridden there right after days of torrential downpour. The only mud is in the parking lot (at Antietam Lake).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tduro
    Mt. Penn is my rainy day standby. I've ridden there right after days of torrential downpour. The only mud is in the parking lot (at Antietam Lake).
    Where is that at?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Heritage
    Where is that at?
    Reading, PA. Same mountain the pagoda is on. There are no trail maps that I'm aware of. It's mostly ridden by locals, as far as I can tell. That is, until the annual DH race - hundreds of riders, thousands of spectators. It's quite an event! They kicked off the Gravity East series last year, If memory serves.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    I thought the DH event was eliminated this year....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The DH event is no longer happening. At least not by the Reading Racing team and from what I hear it probably wont happen. How ever the trails up on Mt. Penn are very hard to navigate if you have never ridden up there. There are miles of awesome riding up there. I have been up there more than two handfulls of times and I still don't know where it all is. Some very technical riding too!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    other than mt.penn, i don't know any places around SE PA that are OK to ride after a good rain.

but if anyone has any suggestions i would love to hear them

i definitely don't think french creek is a good option because although it does have lots of rocks it also has lots of muddy trails that get torn up.

what i do is try my best to take care of the trails and ride a road bike in the wet times of year!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Cyclo-xing on the Perkiomen trail is my option when it's wet out, 20+ miles of packed dirt and gravel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chestercospinner
    Cyclo-xing on the Perkiomen trail is my option when it's wet out, 20+ miles of packed dirt and gravel.
    Yep, that's one of my winter options). Brendan Byrne and Wharton SF in the Pine Barrens of southern Jersey are actually better after a rain. The sand gets packed down making for better riding. Prolly 35 minutes from downtown Philly.

TS

mtbr member
    What about Wissahickon? It drains very well, I've almost never encountered mud there.
    Team _________

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    the wiss is my backyard and this is my experience there:

during the summer when the trees are sucking poisture out of the ground it does dry extremely well after a rain. BUT during the fall and winter it can take a couple days to dry out after a good rain. during the spring and fall druing the freeze thaw the entire place becomes unrideable and there are always a few idiots out there carving giant ruts in the trails.

PMBA has been instrumental in fixing lots of the problems with drainage over there in the last few years! if you ride the wiss a lot you should seriuosly consider giving them a few bucks for their continuing efforts!

jk
    mtbr member
    It doesnt even have to rain at Marsh Creek...I was there yesterday and after the sun was on the open, non-wooded sections for an hour, it was slickr'n snot. The soil there really binds up into everything...even though I was on my ss my back tire still clogged up so much it stopped rotating. Needless to say I walked the open sections on my return as I did not want to tread heavily and leave ruts/undue erosion.

So what I'm saying is that simply freeze/thaw will make MC a mess.
    Last edited by jk; 11-25-2008 at 03:41 AM.

cdouble
    Jul 2007
    I ride MCSP at least 2x a week and yes it get's really muddy UNLESS you ride it early in the morning. Generally (current heat wave is exception), the temps drop into the low 20s and that is enough to firm up the trails for riding as long as you get out early (8am, 9am at the latest). As soon as the sun hits the open sections, or the temps rise into high 20s it is game over.
    cdouble

http://mo7s.blogspot.com

"It never gets easier, you just go faster"
    Greg LeMond