Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Marsh Creek Conditions

Anyone know the trail conditions / expect them to be rideable tomorrow (8/23)? Had a good bit of rain up here in Berks Co. over the night.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    hmmmmmmmmmm. VERY WET INDEED SIR

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    What do all of you think the place will be like tomorrow? I know the name "Marsh" Creek is appropriate....
    Think that it'll be a wash? (Pun intended)
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Last Sunday, after no rain for almost 2 weeks, there were still muddy spots. After rain all week, I would imagine it will be in awful shape.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Forget about it. No way.

Fossil
    One of the problems is that it's real tough to avoid the muddy sections... hard to just ride the rideable sections without having to go thru the messed up sections.
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    What kind of tires is everyone riding in Marsh Creek? Especially now with the fall upon us. I am thinking Advert and/or Nevegal?
    1998 GT Palomar, 2009 Gary Fisher Paragon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My maxxis ignitors tend to hold the mud there, but the Bontrager Jones models shed the mud quicker.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I was riding Fire XCs last fall and winter, but then again, I stayed away from there unless it was relatively dry. Not a fan of them when it's muddy. Just put some 2.2 Mountain Kings on after getting a great deal. We'll see.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Please let me know how your tires work out. I will do the same. It can get super muddy in MC as you all know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Has anybody ridden Marsh Creek recently? I was planning on riding there on Sunday, and wanted to see what the conditions are like. I know we have had tons of rain lately and wanted to make sure it isn't a mud pit before I drive up there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I ride it all the time. Depends where you are riding but it is still pretty muddy from all the rain last week. If you go in at the papermill there is a section there that is complete mud pit. The bonus loop is muddy but not so bad that you cannot ride it. If you go in at the boat docks and go to the side with the red and blue trail that seems the best but less technical. There is that one section that is muddy on the doubletrack but if you stay on the end it is no problem. Hard to see because all the leaves are covering the road but if you ridden it before you know what I am talking about.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Hi,

Did anyone ride Marsh Creek this past weekend?

I am thinking about going Monday afternoon.

How are the trail conditions?

Thanks

Fossil
    We were there, along with a significant chunk of the rest of the free world, Sunday AM. Someone had said trail conditions were great but I'm not sure if I'd use that word. The usual mud holes are still there and are still huge. Most of the rest of the trail is leaf-covered, normal of course, but be wary of the wet soil underneath. Trail that was dry-ish and free of leaves was rare indeed.

Big thanks to some of the Dtown guys for clearing some blow-down - awesome!

All that said, given the weather we've had this whole year, I'd put it this way - get out and ride. Trail conditions are good enough, and if you ride there even occasionally there won't be any surprises. Enjoy!
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

Fossil
    Rode a little of the east side of the park (from boat ramp) Saturday. Trails were softer than normal with the usual mud holes being bigger mud holes - almost the norm for this whole season.

Rode a good chunk of the west side (from Chalfont) Sunday. Conditions worse than expected. I think the east side was better. Not a lot of good firm trail - most of it was quite soft, mud holes were monsters. Damn fun though! My Kenda Nevs got a workout.

More than human help on trail work days, we need some help from Mother Nature!
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Some nice new wooden bridges by the boat dock over those mud pits headed towards the dam. Whoever put them in place, nice work!

Fossil
    Tried a snow ride early Sunday AM 12/6. 1/3 of trails were frozen and fun, but the other 2/3 were a mess. Salvaged the ride by taking lotsa pics. Too much water seeping out of the warmer underground to get a good freeze going on the surface. It better either get colder or drier... or both!
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by raekism
    Some nice new wooden bridges by the boat dock over those mud pits headed towards the dam. Whoever put them in place, nice work!
    Thats awesome.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    To any of you guys who have been there recently, do you think it will be sufficiently frozen for early Saturday AM? Being that it's 8:45 and still in the 20s in West Chester, I'm guessing it's cold enough. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    I just got back from a ride there and it was frozen over. The only exceptions were some deep puddles, which just had a layer of ice on top. Another night below freezing and they might be solid in the morning. I was surprised at how many hunters were out on a Friday morning. After all the mud we've had I could not pass up below freezing temps, tires hooking up on frozen ground is a great feeling.

cdouble
    Jul 2007
    Rode MCSP this morning around 9am, trails were frozen solid, no mud whatsoever. Get out early tomorrow, rain is supposed to start around 9am...
    cdouble

http://mo7s.blogspot.com

"It never gets easier, you just go faster"
    – Greg LeMond

Fossil
    Sub-freezing temps transformed the mud into traction central this Friday morning. Great riding everywhere on the trails, and with no wind and sunny skies it was a privilege to be out and about on two wheels. By noon, some of the south facing trails were softening - mud over ice a little tricky - but those sections were few and far between. Will be interesting to see how the snow riding is tomorrow AM... sounds like there will be too much snow by Sunday AM.
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I rode there last night. All trails were frozen solid. What a great ride. A light snow on 50% of the trails. Some ice. I finally found the teeter totter. That was fun also. Kudos to those doing trail work there. Nice job on the new bridges.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Anyone get out today after the thaw? I'm wondering what the trails will be like tomorrow morning with the temp not getting below freezing.

Fossil
    I was out from about 1:30 to 3:00. It was in the low 40s when I got there and the trails were still in good shape thanks to the frozen ground. By 3:00 however, temps climbed to the upper 40s and the top inch of ground was thawing, making things a little soupier. All in all though, the trails were better than I thought they would be. I think with the sun going down and temps dropping close to freezing the trails might freeze up again... go for it!
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Got out there today at around 8:45. The ground was still mostly frozen, but you could tell it wasn't going to last long. I only rode for an hour and a half and by the end, it was getting really nasty in spots. I was riding Conti Mt. Kings, which I though shedded mud well, but they were useless. Hopefully it refreezes soon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I am going to be in Downingtown next weekend and was wondering if Marsh Creek is at all rideable right now or if I should just bring my road bike? Thanks.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Right now everything in the region is soup, I would think it will stay that way unless we get a deep freeze.

cdouble
    Jul 2007
    A lot of snow, dense and wet. Warm this week and rain on Wednesday will do some good, but the result will be messy trails unless we get a good freeze. Lots of crap on the roads, I would bring the MTB and be prepared to ride roads or trail. Lots of MTBers on the roads these days, roadies getting flats and complaining of trashing their shiny bikes.

Chris
    cdouble

http://mo7s.blogspot.com

"It never gets easier, you just go faster"
    – Greg LeMond

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the feedback guys, sounds like you're in about the same place York County is. I was hoping you would be a little further along with the melt. I'll plan on riding on the road most likely, too bad, Marsh Creek is a fun little place!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Marsh Creek is notoriously the last place in the area to dry out. There's still a good amount of snow around and there's no way it'll be dry for the weekend. I would definitely stay away from MC unless its cold enough to be frozen. If you have a cross bike, ride the roads with that. This weekend, the roads were covered in crap from the recent false alarm of a storm, although they should be in better shape with a week's worth of traffic.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    For the rider that I ran into today.... to bring it to the top......
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    Nothing to see here JP!
    2010 Gary Fisher Marlin
    Upgrade-Wellgo MG-1 Pedals
    If you don't come back banged up and bruised, you didn't go hard enough!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Anybody been out lately. Thinking of heading to marsh creek later in the week. Any thoughts on the status of the trails by then? Thanks

Fossil
    It'll be fine by then.
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I think its fine now, at least it was when I was there last weekend.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Trails were in great shape yesterday afternoon

Bike Rider

Blast from the Past

I figured I would bring this post back from the dead. I was at Marsh Creek today...conditions were perfect. I got in 15 miles of awesome riding. I know I wasn't the only one, there were plenty of bikes, bikers, and empty car racks to be seen.
    "Ever take it off any sweet jumps?"

08 KHS DJ200

Fossil
    Yeah the whole WORLD was there tonight. I think there were more cars there then I'd ever seen. Checked out a relatively new trail bypassing lower part of rocky climb... gonna be a nice addition.
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    Nice bump on this thread.... I just got a trailbike built back up after a long hiatus since around Christmas or the new year. Been DHing and a little road... but no trail.... Cant wait to hit up Marsh again. Stoked by your posts. Thanks for hitting this thread up again.
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jajm1213 View Post
    I figured I would bring this post back from the dead. I was at Marsh Creek today...conditions were perfect. I got in 15 miles of awesome riding. I know I wasn't the only one, there were plenty of bikes, bikers, and empty car racks to be seen.
    How do you get 15 miles there? Everytime I go it seems to be like only 8-9 miles. Thanks

Bike Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhausen View Post
    How do you get 15 miles there? Everytime I go it seems to be like only 8-9 miles. Thanks
    I ride the Struble Trail over from Downingtown (That's about a total of 4,5 by itself). Once I actually arrive to Marsh Creek, I usually ride from the damn access road over to the west dock and then go all through some of the trails on the other side over there. There are plenty of different trails over on that side to get even more miles in. If I have enough time on the way back, I'll try to make it over to the bonus loop and seesaw too (for a total closer to 18-20).
    "Ever take it off any sweet jumps?"

08 KHS DJ200

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yes it was crowded last night, I was surprised. I think a lot of the riders were in pre riding the coarse for the upcoming night race this Saturday night. If you want more details search Chester county cycle they are sponsoring it, and have links to details. Should be a great race, nothing cooler than watching some bikes going full speed down the dam face, well maybe doing it yourself is a bit cooler....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hey I just went to Marsh creek for the first time and was doing a little exploring. My curious nature kinda got me into trouble. I was riding the one access path from the field thats on Dorlan Mill road (I was actually riding from the trail to the field to see where that trail went) and I came across a bees nest. I was passing by and realized what it was and it was too late to stop. I rode out as quickly as I could and once I got to the field, I threw down my bike, threw down my helmet and ripped my shirt off to swing at all the bees stinging me. I think I got around 10 bee stings.

This trail doesnt look like its used as much as the one a little further south in the corner of the field judging by the lack of matted down grass, and I dont really know why it exists, but I recommend not using it. I was excited to explore a new place and lost my focus after all the bee stings. Next time I'll bring the geared bike too, I didnt realize it was so hilly there.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    Sorry to hear about the stings. Take care of yourself.

How was the dirt condtions? Unsure if Marsh got as much rain dumped on it Friday evening as we did out here near Lancaster or not.
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    It was nice out there. Some tiny streams to cross that I'm guessing usually arent there. Dirt was sticky by firm but there were only small patches of mud sparingly There was some places that were weedwhacked for that race and i was kinda surprised at the choice of trails. The deep rutted one that goes over the east side of the bluff on the spillway was weedwhacked. also the trail that connects from the one side of the bluff to the other right at the bottom had the deepest mud pit/puddle right after/before a steep 5 foot hill. I was afraid I was going to get stuck when I was going through it and probably got halfway to my axle in the water. Due to how mushy it was I'm guessing this isnt a new puddle

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Just got back from riding most of the park. Trails are in great shape, fast and smooth from all of the people riding it to prep for the race. They did a great job cutting back the grass and raspberry vines where it was getting overgrown. A few spots, especially those that get a lot of sun are a little dusty so they can be slick. Of course there are supposed to be thunderstorms this afternoon so conditions may change drastically in an hour.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Um, wet right now obviously.

A question for my fellow MC riders - I noticed a new section of trail that splits off from the ascent from the bottom of the soul trail on the way towards the bonus loop. Anyone know when this was built and who did it? It's a pretty nice section.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Pretty good conditions today, still a bit sloppy along the lake in spots but the bonus loop is generally in excellent shape.

mtbr member
    Thanks Flowy. What exactly is the "bonus loop"? I rode Harmony Hill in Downingtown today and it was in great shape.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast