Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Marsh Creek Conditions

Anyone know the trail conditions / expect them to be rideable tomorrow (8/23)? Had a good bit of rain up here in Berks Co. over the night.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    hmmmmmmmmmm. VERY WET INDEED SIR

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    What do all of you think the place will be like tomorrow? I know the name "Marsh" Creek is appropriate....
    Think that it'll be a wash? (Pun intended)
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Last Sunday, after no rain for almost 2 weeks, there were still muddy spots. After rain all week, I would imagine it will be in awful shape.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Forget about it. No way.

Fossil
    One of the problems is that it's real tough to avoid the muddy sections... hard to just ride the rideable sections without having to go thru the messed up sections.
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    What kind of tires is everyone riding in Marsh Creek? Especially now with the fall upon us. I am thinking Advert and/or Nevegal?
    1998 GT Palomar, 2009 Gary Fisher Paragon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My maxxis ignitors tend to hold the mud there, but the Bontrager Jones models shed the mud quicker.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I was riding Fire XCs last fall and winter, but then again, I stayed away from there unless it was relatively dry. Not a fan of them when it's muddy. Just put some 2.2 Mountain Kings on after getting a great deal. We'll see.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Please let me know how your tires work out. I will do the same. It can get super muddy in MC as you all know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Has anybody ridden Marsh Creek recently? I was planning on riding there on Sunday, and wanted to see what the conditions are like. I know we have had tons of rain lately and wanted to make sure it isn't a mud pit before I drive up there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I ride it all the time. Depends where you are riding but it is still pretty muddy from all the rain last week. If you go in at the papermill there is a section there that is complete mud pit. The bonus loop is muddy but not so bad that you cannot ride it. If you go in at the boat docks and go to the side with the red and blue trail that seems the best but less technical. There is that one section that is muddy on the doubletrack but if you stay on the end it is no problem. Hard to see because all the leaves are covering the road but if you ridden it before you know what I am talking about.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Hi,

Did anyone ride Marsh Creek this past weekend?

I am thinking about going Monday afternoon.

How are the trail conditions?

Thanks

Fossil
    We were there, along with a significant chunk of the rest of the free world, Sunday AM. Someone had said trail conditions were great but I'm not sure if I'd use that word. The usual mud holes are still there and are still huge. Most of the rest of the trail is leaf-covered, normal of course, but be wary of the wet soil underneath. Trail that was dry-ish and free of leaves was rare indeed.

Big thanks to some of the Dtown guys for clearing some blow-down - awesome!

All that said, given the weather we've had this whole year, I'd put it this way - get out and ride. Trail conditions are good enough, and if you ride there even occasionally there won't be any surprises. Enjoy!
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

Fossil
    Rode a little of the east side of the park (from boat ramp) Saturday. Trails were softer than normal with the usual mud holes being bigger mud holes - almost the norm for this whole season.

Rode a good chunk of the west side (from Chalfont) Sunday. Conditions worse than expected. I think the east side was better. Not a lot of good firm trail - most of it was quite soft, mud holes were monsters. Damn fun though! My Kenda Nevs got a workout.

More than human help on trail work days, we need some help from Mother Nature!
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Some nice new wooden bridges by the boat dock over those mud pits headed towards the dam. Whoever put them in place, nice work!

Fossil
    Tried a snow ride early Sunday AM 12/6. 1/3 of trails were frozen and fun, but the other 2/3 were a mess. Salvaged the ride by taking lotsa pics. Too much water seeping out of the warmer underground to get a good freeze going on the surface. It better either get colder or drier... or both!
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by raekism
    Some nice new wooden bridges by the boat dock over those mud pits headed towards the dam. Whoever put them in place, nice work!
    Thats awesome.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    To any of you guys who have been there recently, do you think it will be sufficiently frozen for early Saturday AM? Being that it's 8:45 and still in the 20s in West Chester, I'm guessing it's cold enough. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    I just got back from a ride there and it was frozen over. The only exceptions were some deep puddles, which just had a layer of ice on top. Another night below freezing and they might be solid in the morning. I was surprised at how many hunters were out on a Friday morning. After all the mud we've had I could not pass up below freezing temps, tires hooking up on frozen ground is a great feeling.

cdouble
    Jul 2007
    Rode MCSP this morning around 9am, trails were frozen solid, no mud whatsoever. Get out early tomorrow, rain is supposed to start around 9am...
    cdouble

http://mo7s.blogspot.com

"It never gets easier, you just go faster"
    Greg LeMond

Fossil
    Sub-freezing temps transformed the mud into traction central this Friday morning. Great riding everywhere on the trails, and with no wind and sunny skies it was a privilege to be out and about on two wheels. By noon, some of the south facing trails were softening - mud over ice a little tricky - but those sections were few and far between. Will be interesting to see how the snow riding is tomorrow AM... sounds like there will be too much snow by Sunday AM.
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I rode there last night. All trails were frozen solid. What a great ride. A light snow on 50% of the trails. Some ice. I finally found the teeter totter. That was fun also. Kudos to those doing trail work there. Nice job on the new bridges.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Anyone get out today after the thaw? I'm wondering what the trails will be like tomorrow morning with the temp not getting below freezing.

Fossil
    I was out from about 1:30 to 3:00. It was in the low 40s when I got there and the trails were still in good shape thanks to the frozen ground. By 3:00 however, temps climbed to the upper 40s and the top inch of ground was thawing, making things a little soupier. All in all though, the trails were better than I thought they would be. I think with the sun going down and temps dropping close to freezing the trails might freeze up again... go for it!
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast