W.M.A.

Bonking ... not feelin' well marsh creek is in BAD shape

anyone else attempted to ride there yet?

a few of us headed over last night... started on the bonus loop -
    started with a few smaller trees down – but they were manageable
    (movable or climbable) then came the 3 or 4 huge trees next to one
    another that were down – roots about 10' in the air – no getting
    around them – turned around and tried the trail that goes off to the
    left over the little rickety wood bridge – climb the hill and
    another (immovable) tree across the trail… turn around decide to
    head over to boat launch – through the field past stables down to
    trail along the lake that leads to parking lot – another huge tree
    across trail… at that point we threw in the towel… had saw would
    have been worthless!!!

so I'm newer to the sport – and have not had the chance to do
    regular trail maintenance (was away for the marsh creek outing) –
    but this is not routine maintenance that needs to be done – part of
    this is going to, in my opinion, require cutting new trails around
    some of the big stuff… is it just a matter of getting a group
    organized to get out and do it? My time is limited but if I can
    make it out I definitely will – these are the trails I ride most of
    the time and I want them rideable again soon…

has anyone been on the trails over by the boat launch?

Todd

mtbr member
    Living right behind the lake..i can imagine what damage was done. We got nailed big time. I am willing to do maitenance anytime we can get a group going. I also missed the one a few weeks back. I guess its a matter of getting permission form the rangers/park to get in there and start cutting. I honestly dont know the process. My mom & dad both work for the county park system but not the state so maybe i can get some good insight to lead us in the right direction.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm game for some maintenance if it works with my schedule too. I think it'd be cool if we could incorporate some of these big downed trees into the trail. Maaybe have the trail go through the craters that are left from the uprooting, or saw a flat spot on the trunk of a downed tree and make it rideable.

After witnessing the tree carnage on the trails though, we are gonna need lots of big chainsaws, and lots of man hours to clear them.

W.M.A.
    the guys over at dtown mtb club are talking aobut getting out this sat or next... i should be free next but not this... if anything developes over there ill be sure to post here as well...

fyi - http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/dtownmtb/

W.M.A.
    here it is...

"July 29th @ Marsh Creek: Apparently tons of damage with trees down across trails. So save Sat. the 29th for some trail work, we will need some chainsaws. Details to follow, might be able get in a ride prior or after. The more we get out to help the quicker we get done!"

as i see more details ill post here too - i hope to be out there.

W.M.A.

Update

Save this Sat. am for some much needed trail repair at Marsh Creek.

We are trying to get park officials to let us get past the gate on Dorlan Mill Rd. so we can get easier access to bonus loop and rest. If not we should know by end of week where we can park.

Need chainsaws, trail tools, handsaws and shovels. Some new trails need to be repaired or created.

More details to follow.

mtbr member
    anymore details on this event?? I have limited time on saturday but i am making this a priority. It just needs to be doen if it is that bad out there. I do not have any tools though besides 4x4 if one is needed to tow trailers or trees out or something.

W.M.A.
    9 am on saturday... meeting place to be determined after things have been arranged with park officials and damage is better assessed... there is a group riding there tonight and they should be doing some recon

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Hey, just so you guys are aware, there is an organized trail run race going on this weekend at Marsh Creek. You may be pleasantly greeted by the organizing staff on sat. who are trying to get the trail prepped for the race. From what it sounds like, I'm sure they could use a hand. Not sure what the designated loop is right now, but it's a 5 or 10 miler.

Any runners in the forum? I'm actually registered for the trail run this weekend. Should be fun! Later all and thanks for helping with the trails!

Lev

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I was a runner for 8 years..but I keep getting stress fractures so I turned myself into a biker. The trail races were never my thing, I tried to do one at Tyler Arboretum and really busted up my ankles. Do you ever go in Chester County Running Store? You might know BShow, he is also a runner. Good luck with your race! What time is that race anyway? We don't want to be out there working on trails in the middle of a race!

W.M.A.
    hey sandra - excellent screen name...

you riding tonight too?

todd

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It was great riding with everybody last night. I'm definitely going to start making these rides more frequently.

Mike
    Last edited by vtskibum; 07-27-2006 at 05:38 AM.

Hoopy Frood
    Quote Originally Posted by sandracruz
    What time is that race anyway? We don't want to be out there working on trails in the middle of a race!
    I believe the race is on Sunday.

http://www.marshcreekrun.org/
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson

mtbr member
    i feel like i was hit with a mack truck this morning! i need to keep this a regular thing instead of once a month! i loved it non the less and enjoy the pain and agony and cant waite to do it again....now if i can just learn to climb trees humm..

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by sandracruz
    I was a runner for 8 years..but I keep getting stress fractures so I turned myself into a biker. The trail races were never my thing, I tried to do one at Tyler Arboretum and really busted up my ankles. Do you ever go in Chester County Running Store? You might know BShow, he is also a runner. Good luck with your race! What time is that race anyway? We don't want to be out there working on trails in the middle of a race!
    Hey there. Never been to the CC running store. Is it in west chester?

If you guys are doing trailwork on Sat. you won't have to worry about being in the way of the racers. The event is definitely on Sunday.

Thanks for the good luck! Take care and talk to you later

Lev

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lev
    Hey there. Never been to the CC running store. Is it in west chester?

If you guys are doing trailwork on Sat. you won't have to worry about being in the way of the racers. The event is definitely on Sunday.

Thanks for the good luck! Take care and talk to you later

Lev
    Yeah, the store is in West Chester. www.runCCRS.com.

Sandra and I should be there Saturday to help with the trail work. After riding(trying to ride) both sides of the lake, there is major damage that needs to be cleaned up by Sunday morning...Otherwise, it will make for a very interesting, and challenging trail race. SOme of the bad spots are simply not passable.

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Hey all,

To anyone who did trail work at Marsh Creek this past Sat., Thank You! The race was awesome today. The event organizers mentioned you guys and said that you cleared out quite a bit. There were a few sighs from the hard core hardy's who wanted more obstacles, but all in all the course remained difficult in terms of a few rather large fallen trees, and everyone else was fairly appreciative from what I could tell. Marsh Creek rocks!

Be good all and enjoy the hot week ahead of us!

Lev