Magicshine Users

I know alot of guys, myself included, have bought these lights in the past year or two. I just got this e-mail today from Geoman:

To Our Valued Geomangear Customers,

Geomangear temporarily has stopped selling Magicshine lightsets due to our concerns regarding the safety, quality, and performance of Magicshine's lithium-ion battery packs sold by Geomangear between July 2009 and November 2010. We have determined that these Magicshine battery packs do not meet Geomangear's high expectations regarding product safety, quality, and performance. We have notified both the manufacturer of Magicshine lightsets and the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission that Geomangear intends to voluntarily recall all Magicshine battery packs sold by Geomangear.

We are actively working with the Safety Commission, outside engineering consultants, and a new battery pack supplier to evaluate product recall options for our customers. Geomangear will provide recall information and instructions directly to our affected customers after our final corrective action plan has been approved by the Safety Commission.

If you bought a Magicshine lightset from us between June 2009 and November 2010, please discontinue using your lightset until we are able to provide you with an upgraded replacement battery pack. Despite our best efforts, this process will take some time, and we ask for your patience. You can rest assured that Geomangear has taken, and will continue to take, appropriate steps to protect the safety of our customers, and we will stand behind our products. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you and appreciate your continued loyalty and support during this unprecedented situation our company is facing.

Though Geoman regularly posts in the 'Lights/Night Riding' forum, he's been mum on providing any details. From what I could find, there has been 1 or more alleged incidents of MS batteries spontaneously catching fire, WHILE NOT PLUGGED INTO THE CHARGER OR LIGHT, and ongoing issues with the batteries simply failing.

I plan to continue to use mine, but a few recommendations I've found related to battery handling:
    * Do not run the battery pack all the way down to zero charge
    * Do not store the battery pack with less than 70% charge.
    * Do not leave the battery pack charging unattended.
    * Store the battery pack in something metal, not in a bag or closet or somewhere that other materials will catch fire if the pack undergoes combustion.

As far as what's causing the issues, this seems to be the most intelligent answer that I've found thus far: LINK

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Well that sucks, hopefully you don't catch on fire Jeff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Did I miss something, or was geomangear.com the only place that ever sold them? Nowhere else, ever, that I saw, ever had then for sale.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Wow, I have 2 of them, and 3 batteries. I also purchased everything between the dates listed.
    Hmmmm. I cannot afford to just go and purchase another light, and I do not want to give up nightriding while I wait for a replacement(s). Not sure what I am gonna do yet, but I will certainly store my batteries somewhere that there will be no risk of catching my house on fire...

Quote Originally Posted by XCoalMiner
    Did I miss something, or was geomangear.com the only place that ever sold them? Nowhere else, ever, that I saw, ever had then for sale.
    At one time there were a few distributors, dealextreme.com comes to mind, maybe no longer, I haven't looked. But from everything I read before I purchased mine, Geoman offered the best customer service. (And a free helmet mount if you mentioned MTBR ) I've had my light for about 12mos and never had a problem, I'm going to continue to use it, but I will now be finding a safe way to store it. If my Camelbak starts on fire, oh well, but house or car would be bad.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    They were the only North-American based distributor.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    They have always been all over ebay.

Yeah really, an STP!
    Aug 2007
    jonz, thanks for the update. I didn't get the email from them yet.

If it happens, hopefully the Camelback bladder will extinguish the fire on my back. I suppose I'll have to move them from the wooden workbench in the garage too...

wounded knee
    I recently bought 2 lights one for the bars and one for my helmet, and as stated above, I'm not going to miss out on night riding till a replacement is found and a recall is issued.

Where I work we deal with the selling and repair of AGL construction lasers, which use rechargeable batteries, the company that repairs them also rebuilds the battery packs, I'm half tempted to send one of mine off to him and see how much it would cost to rebuild it with good quality batteries.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Did you ever have ham?
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider6
    I recently bought 2 lights one for the bars and one for my helmet, and as stated above, I'm not going to miss out on night riding till a replacement is found and a recall is issued.

Where I work we deal with the selling and repair of AGL construction lasers, which use rechargeable batteries, the company that repairs them also rebuilds the battery packs, I'm half tempted to send one of mine off to him and see how much it would cost to rebuild it with good quality batteries.
    Just carry some parabolic mirrors with you DR6. That way if the battery pack catches on fire you can use the mirror to help focus the fire light on the trail...LOL!!! That does suck, though. Pay good money for a light and then you hear about something like this. I wanted to get one, but not in the cards right now. I would imagine any rechargeable battery pack with the same ratings would work.
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I just bought a MagicShine 900 from ediscountbike.com a couple of weeks ago but it doesn't look like they carry them now. I haven't used the light yet and I'm trying to figure out how to tell the boss i need to go home to remove the fire hazard from my house. I have a cat and some Van Gogh paintings in there.

mtbr member
    From what I have read about these Li-Ion batteries particularly, is they can catch fire during the charge cycle. Not just sitting around. I think they are fairly stable once charged.
    Generation Gap Racing.
    Thanks 2012 sponsors! Hayes Bicycle Group, LEATT/Azonic, MAXXIS, GoPro, 661, ODI, Royal, Loeka,SPY

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    that's kind of a bummer. I just found out about these lights and was going to order one. Does anyone know if a replacement battery will be available ? I just looked and there are plenty of these lights still on ebay!

I think this concern is due to shipment of these batteries on flights from China. If 1 out of 1,000,000 catches fire you can have a really serious problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Batteries for sale - slightly used - only one problem....

"HP Recalls Notebook Computer Batteries Due to Fire HazardHazard: The recalled lithium-ion batteries can overheat, ..."

Aren't the new 'Volts' using Lithium-Ion batteries?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    you can buy a new battery on fleabay for 38 bucks.

that is what i did so i can keep riding till they figure if/out how to warranty all the old batteries.

even if you need buy an extra battery (or two) it is still a bargain for the amount of light it puts out compared to any other production lights out there.

btw, my (and a friend of mine's) battery never blew up thankfully but just stopped charging. i can plug the battery (dead) into the charger and it just lights up green as though it is full, his did the same thing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    you can buy a new battery on fleabay for 38 bucks.

that is what i did so i can keep riding till they figure if/out how to warranty all the old batteries.
    Which one did you get (have a link?). I hope you didn't just buy another MS battery.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i did buy a new magicshine battery (obviously differnt from the old one though):
    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-WATERPROOF-B...item4153426c5d

but i just noticed you can but even cheaper non-brand batteries:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Battery-Magi...item3f04b99ab1

hey even if the 38 dollar one lasts as long as my old battery did it will be worth it.

with these lights your getting the same amount of light as lights that cost hundreds more. if that means maybe having to buy a couple battery packs along the way it is still a great deal IMHO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    i did buy a new magicshine battery (obviously differnt from the old one though):
    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-WATERPROOF-B...item4153426c5d

but i just noticed you can but even cheaper non-brand batteries:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Battery-Magi...item3f04b99ab1

hey even if the 38 dollar one lasts as long as my old battery did it will be worth it.

with these lights your getting the same amount of light as lights that cost hundreds more. if that means maybe having to buy a couple battery packs along the way it is still a great deal IMHO.
    The only thing obvious about the first one is that it's different on the outside. Unless you or someone else has taken it apart and can say for sure it's different in the inside, or of any better qualiuty, I'm not buying it just yet.

The second light you linked (actually more $ then the first one when you add shipping btw), is being sold with Magicshine sets, so again, I have no reason to believe that it's different on the inside, or of any better quality.

If I was a seller of either of those, and I knew (or believed) they were improved, I would sacrifice one and take it apart and photo everything and PROVE to people that it is a better quailty so that I could sell more of them.
    But I haven't seen any of those ebay sellers doing that yet.

Until then, if I were going to buy a replacement battery (not that I need one, mine is fine after a year), I would go with something unrelated to MS.

I bike, I brew

New Magicshine Batteries

Ok... I needed to get lights (my last fried), and given the stateside issue with the "recall", I did some extra searching and ended up getting through DX. I've received the lights, and there are indeed new batteries. The 1400 has what appears to be a watertight aluminum cylinder - and from what I can tell, this is at least a 2nd generation. The 808 also has a new battery, which appears to be a 3rd generation... instead of just shrink wrap around the individual batteries, they are encased in a nifty hard plastic shell (screws together with steel posts - not tiny little screws) which also appears to be water tight and also has a nifty small back-lit window that shows the current battery status.

I've charged a few times now, and have noted *no* issues with excess heat or anything. Charges seemingly about the same as previous systems.

If someone is in the know, are these the same battery set-ups, just in different housing? I'd like to swap (the canister is better suited for stuffing in my Camelbak for my 808, and the clear-encased is better suited for mountaing to the frams (so I can see the charge level too). I would think for simple operational efficiency, they would build one style of battery pack, and just put in different casings based on the model.

I think they are very impressive together, especially for the price, and if the new models have corrected the battery issue (the 808 says "Updated Version" on the box...
    "Four wheels carry the body,
    Two wheels carry the soul." -anonymous

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I bought an 808 set recently from an ebay seller who said the batteries we from a new source. After I asked him where he said they are from LG.

I've used the light and recharged it a few times and haven't had any problems. Its bright but doesn't seem all that much brighter than my old Night rider Extreme, The battery is way lighter though.