Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Macungie area trails/singletrack

I recently moved down to Macungie from northeast PA, and am looking for places to ride down here. I found the VMB website but for some reason when I try to access it, it downloads a file and doesn't open (I run Mac OSX). Just wondering if there is any good riding down here, as the closest trails I know of are Jim Thorpe.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rastasquid View Post
    I recently moved down to Macungie from northeast PA, and am looking for places to ride down here. I found the VMB website but for some reason when I try to access it, it downloads a file and doesn't open (I run Mac OSX). Just wondering if there is any good riding down here, as the closest trails I know of are Jim Thorpe.
    Oh hells yeah there is good riding! There are far, far, far better places to ride than Thorpe (although Thorpe is worth an occasional trip), all within 10-30 minutes of Macungie. I live in lower Macungie.

Are you able to access this page? : Trail Finder | VMB - Lehigh Valley, PA Mountain Bike Club

I think Bear Creek is closed this time of year, but that is super fun if you like technical riding. I regularly rotate between Salisbury, South Mountain Emmaus, Trexler, Bear Creek, and I throw in Jordan and Lehigh occasionally too. Nockamixion is about 50 minutes away but totally worth it, but it's closed right now.

Trexler is good to ride even in pouring rain, which is actually fun to do in the summertime. Let me know if you have any more specific questions!
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Jared that link works, thanks! I don't even have my bike here yet, I need to find a way to store it in my apartment. Im super excited now to know that there a places to ride down here. I had to move here for work and I was worried that I'd be spending more time on my road bike...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    No, actually you have a crapton of good, purpose built MTB trails. The LV is sweet in that regard. Open up your driving to 60-90 minutes and you have even more stuff, like Allamuchy, Blue Marsh, and all the good stuff in the Poconos.

During the spring, VMB will pick up again with Wednesday evening group rides, too.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    There is also Mt Penn near Reading as well. Probably over 40 miles of trails of all kinds. Well worth the trip there.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The Lehigh Valley is an awesome place to be a cyclist in general. Mountain, Cross, Road, even Track. Pretty much whatever is your fancy there is someone around to ride with you. Stop in South Mountain Cycles in Emmaus as well- there is a local culture of riders beyond VMB that may also suit your needs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yeah VMB is definitely not all there is, and in addition to South Mountain Cycles, you have some other awesome shops- I love Cutters in Bethlehem, there's also Saucon Valley Cycles, Fitness Central, and 4-5 other shops in the valley.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

Now broadcasting from CO
    Bear Creek Mountain Resort. Yes their in ski season now, but their trails are still open, and they are fantastic.
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PAmtbiker View Post
    Bear Creek Mountain Resort. Yes their in ski season now, but their trails are still open, and they are fantastic.
    Oh cool! I haven't been there since slightly before they opened for skiing, and I always thought some of the trails crossed over the ski slopes, so I figured they closed the trails during ski season. Good to know
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Hook up with Saucon Valley down in Hellertown and they have a good bit of group rides goin on even during the winter. My personal fav was the Wednesday night ride either on the lehigh university(south mountain) or Jacobsburg park trails.

Bear Creek's trails are pretty intense too There's a local XC race on those trails and it's a hand full, usually the season finale.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Wow, thanks! It's nice to see that there are locals active on here. I can't wait to get my stuff down here and hit some trails. What kinds of bikes is everyone riding?

VMB
    If you have Wednesday nights free, come out and join VMB's group ride. We rotate between Salisbury, South Mountain Emmaus, South Mountain Lehigh and occasionally we will ride Jordan Creek park when conditions are right. We meet at 5:15 and begin riding around 5:30. Group pace, no one gets dropped and its always a great time. We also stop for food and drinks after the ride. If you can access the calendar on VMB's sight you will be able to find out the location of the next ride. As long as weather and conditions are favorable, these rides will go on through the entire year. Hope to see you out on the trail soon!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Saucon Valley Bikes is the premiere shop of the area, as others have said. I'm local to you as well and am going out this Sunday if you want to roll. PM me for details.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dankilling View Post
    Saucon Valley Bikes is the premiere shop of the area, as others have said.
    Who said that? In this thread?
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Who said that? In this thread?
    It has been said on other sites, other reviews, and is an opinion. Is it an issue to give props to great shop? If your opinion differs, please do share! I have had nothing but good experiences with SVB so am not shy to say so.
    Last edited by dankilling; 01-24-2013 at 01:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Oh, I wasn't implying that they weren't a great shop. I've only been there once or twice but they were extremely nice. And I actually thought you were talking about SMC, I totally misread that. I was just confused because you said "as others have said" and I thought I missed something lol
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I am also new to the area and I'm glad to hear there is some good trails close by. I must say it gets cold as all get out here! I wasn't expecting this.

By the way, does anyone know of a Niner dealer close to the Allentown area or within 100 miles area? Just thought I'd ask.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    South Mountain Cycles is a Niner dealer

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Oh, I wasn't implying that they weren't a great shop. I've only been there once or twice but they were extremely nice. And I actually thought you were talking about SMC, I totally misread that. I was just confused because you said "as others have said" and I thought I missed something lol
    No worries- I thought I had offended you and wasn't sure where the thread was going

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks so much to everyone for the info..... What's big down here on the trails? Everyone on niners?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dankilling View Post
    South Mountain Cycles is a Niner dealer
    Ok cool, is this the shop in Emmaus?

The reason I ask is because I tried the website and it is no longer up. So I googled the address and went to the address and it is a Thai restaurant. Maybe the shop is closed?
    Last edited by Rev. 14; 01-27-2013 at 04:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    Ok cool, is this the shop in Emmaus?

The reason I ask is because I tried the website and it is no longer up. So I googled the address and went to the address and it is a Thai restaurant. Maybe the shop is closed?
    Yep, the shop in Emmaus. They're across the street from the Thai place.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Check out the Trexlertown game preserve. Some really fun trails over there.

go vegan!
    Sep 2010
    I am originally from NEPA myself and used to love riding at Bear Creek, which is also home to the US Nationals this coming summer so i'll be back in the keystone state and cant wait!

xjaredx are you sxe?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by xgjokax View Post
    I am originally from NEPA myself and used to love riding at Bear Creek, which is also home to the US Nationals this coming summer so i'll be back in the keystone state and cant wait!

xjaredx are you sxe?
    I am not, I just couldn't use my name as my MTBR screen name and I'm not super creative with screen names
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast