mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Lykens Rattling Creek Conditions Report

Any chance that anyone has a trail conditions report for Rattling Creek post Sandy? We are thinking about road tripping to Lykens for some riding this weekend but not sure if the trails are trashed. *Any info would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    bear and I rode this yesterday (Monday, Nov. 12). Overall the conditions were good. I'd say, "go for it!" Here are some details:

We parked at the trailhead at Lykens Road/SR4013. We started out with a CCW warmup loop on Stone Cabin & Rugged. Interestingly, the signs of the forest fire were almost entirely covered up with leaves! Nature can be amazing. Only a few downed trees here; I was able to log-over most of them. Probably walked one or two (of five).

Back to the car, we headed out Hop Back and hopped (ha!) road to Fawn Kill. No real downed stuff here. Up the hill (switchback after the rough double rock garden by the water), the trees that were down in the spring were removed. Thanks to the maintainers! We headed right (north) on Preserve Line and immediately hit some junky smaller trees. Fortunately, bear's handsaw made quick work of two of them and that section of Preserve Line is clear of "full stoppers". We took PL all the way to Matter (saw two hunters -- wear blaze orange!) and Matter across White Oak to where it becomes road.

A right at the road got us quickly to everyone's favorite: Rock Ridge. We did an out-and-back on the East leg of it (super fun, but it drains you). Again, basically, all clear. Then, down (northeast) on Schreffler Rd to Dry Run to -- the biggie -- Rattling Creek Trail. Again, basically all clear. (There might have been one walk over tree here).

Now for the ironic part: the only section with lots of blow downs across the trail was the section of Doc Smith from Rattling Creek Trail to the trailhead. There were LOTS of big trees across. Probably 10+. I made it over about 7; face planted off of one, wheelied backwards off another, dabbed a third, and walked two. Some of the ones I made were "big" and made me happy!

Enjoy!

Best,
    Mark

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Mark did great on the log-overs, and I sucked.

But it was a great day. Wish we'd had the legs for the other trail sections we were eyeing, but just didn't happen.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Thanks...Really Nice Report

Thanks guys! This is much more information that I could have asked for! This will be really helpful for planing our route for Sunday. Cheers!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    onetracker, note that my "normal" route would not necessarily include Perserve Line as the part from road to Matters isn't precisely "exciting singletrack" ... but we were on a mission for Stupid and we'd done the more regular route earlier in the summer.

My habitual "normal" would go, starting from the parking above Lykens ...

- Stone Cabin
    - Rugged
    - short tour down Lykens Rd (gravel) to Doc Smith
    - connect across Lykens Rd again to Fawn Kill
    - left onto Preserve Line
    - right onto Shale Run (it's really just how the trail runs)
    - left onto White Oak Rd (gravel) to get up the hill to Luke's Trail
    - right onto Luke's Trail (doubletrack)
    - cross White Oak and continue on Rim Trail (doubletrack)
    - right onto Wolf Pond
    - left onto either Matter (doubletrack) or Wolf Pond Rd (gravel)
    - follow to hang-glider launch area for a nice break with a view
    - exit hang glider area north, turn right onto Deep Hollow (going uphill)
    - shortly turn left onto Rocks Ridge, take Rocks Ridge all the way to the other end
    (the best part is between Wolf Pond Rd and Matter, if you ask me)
    - turn right and then a hundred yards or so take a sharp left onto the Matter singlegtrack, follow that down until it hits the Y with Perserve Line, take the sharp left onto Perserve Line, which connects to Shreffler Rd
    (alternatively, turn left and then very quickly right onto Shreffler Rd)
    - Continue down Shreffler Rd through the gate to Dry Run
    - Right onto Dry Run and down to Rattling Creek
    - Left onto Rattling Creek all the way ... across the bridges and the creek ... connecting back to Doc Smith
    - Continue past Doc Smith back out to Lykens Rd (gravel)
    - Left onto Lykens Rd and go ~1/3 or 1/2 mile and turn right onto Hop Back (singletrack)
    - Follow this up the hill, and then gradually down and across and back to the parking area

Great map over at this link - thanks to SirBikesALot for hosting.

FYI, that's like a 25-ish mile ride. I think.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Nice Loop

Nice Loop...I spent some time out at RC this season training for the R50. I do a similar loop; I just start/park at the Hang Glider launch. Just out of curosity, how far from the road is the cluster of blown down trees on Doc Smith?

sw1
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

trail work this Sunday

I was out Sunday and got to ride most of the trails. There is going to be an impromptu trail day this Sunday, will post a new thread now.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by onetracker View Post
    Just out of curosity, how far from the road is the cluster of blown down trees on Doc Smith?
    Foggy memory ... at a guess ... 1/3 or 1/2 mile in from the eastern-most connection of Doc Smith to Lykens Rd.

Carries on until probably 100 yards or so from Rattling Creek intersection.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Thanks

Thanks to the RC trail crew! Nice work! Doc smith was perfect by the time we came through this afternoon. We road tripped today from NJ and had a blast.