Ride da mOOn Moderator

Idea! Luzerne county clean up day Moon Lake/Seven Tubs parks 4/27/13

To all... Your County Council and the Recreation Advisory Committee are involved in making things better. Here is you're chance to give back to our local parks, and help out the county in making it better for all:

an E-mail from County Council member Harry Haas:

The county has locked in date for this year's Great Pennsylvania Cleanup, a strictly volunteer event sponsored by Keep America Beautiful and PennDOT. Time of service will be from 8-11am at Moon Lake Park and Seven Tubs Nature Area on Saturday, April 27. The goal is to attract 50 volunteers to both sites who will engage in litter cleanup (mainly at Seven Tubs) and beautification (mainly at Moon Lake where there's not much trash but lots of natural debris like leaves, branches, and loose brush.)

PennDOT will be supplying work gloves, bags, and vests for 100 volunteers. Joe Gibbons has informed me that the county will pick up the bags of waste for disposal. I have an interested party that may be willing to take any natural debris off our hands. Ideally, I'd like to have local businesses sponsor coffee, water, and other light refreshments but haven't received commitments from anyone at this time. I'm asking if you could help make the Luzerne County Cleanup a success by both joining me on the 27th and promoting it to your spheres of influence. This event is a not only an inexpensive way to clean up some of our underfunded parks, but it gives the people in our community a chance to serve. After visiting both parks this past week, we can make a difference.

end e-mail

You can show up at either park but, I will be at Moon Lake from 8 AM on helping. If you would like to join me feel free to show up.

As you know it is spring and the trails are in good shape but could use the usual going over, we do have a tree down at the intersection of 5 Tree and Big Blue trails. I will have my backpack leaf blower and be doing a bit of trail cleaning on Edge, Trials Area, T-Rex1/2 after the 11AM workday is over.

Also, The fish The Fish and Boat Commission is supposed to stock trout that day. If you have never helped with this it is a great fun time, and help is always welcome.

The trails are not closed during this event, but riding while others are working is! Well you know... of course bring your mt bike to ride "after"

Hope to see you all there.
    Thanks
    Lee Curry
    NEPMTBA

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Thanks for the heads-up Lee.

mtbr member
    Should we bring any tools? Bow saw, chain saw...?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

Bill,

Ya, sure hand pruners, loppers and saws are great. Like I said I'm gonna head up to the upper trails and clean them up and knock them back before growing season starts. Jump in with me if ya like, and we can then head over the Kuhl's logover and fix that up plus the tree on 5 Tree/Big Blue intersection!

I'll host a ride around 2 PM, all welcome to join.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Couple thoughts:

(1) What trails definitely need leaf-blown? [I'm trying to picture what is leaf covered - I think a piece of Sally, but most of it is clear; I haven't been on NFS; others?]

(2) Trash that needs to be picked up. There's that (overflowing) can between Thorny and the start of Big Blue/Five Tree; some stuff near Deacon Trials; should clean up stuff that has fallen off the X-Mas Tree.

Other thoughts?

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    My real thought behind all this was just a walk through, because it is spring, and wanted to get out and enjoy the day since I will be there anyway with trout stocking and county clean up efforts!

NFS can use a line definition clean up and the best way is leaf blowing, since it's a downhill trail seeing the pointy stuff is always better to help in avoiding it at speed. Sally is a give or take I don't do much to that trail or 5858 as they are supposed to be more natural. Other than that pretty much good, would you agree?

Everyone is so good at keeping these trails pristine we really don't have organized workdays anymore which is a good thing because everyone gets to ride more...

...so with that said "thanks" to all who make da mOOn a fantastic place to play!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Thanks to all who showed, great work!

The park main lot has been cleaned and spruced up making the first thing you see when you drive into the park, a good thing.

About 7 mt bikers, an XC skier, fishermen, and a few others, a landscaping guy who brought his stump grinder to remove stumps. It was nice to see those who gave of themselves to help the county council on this effort. It was only a few hours of our time, and "then" we rode on this super sunny day!

Thanks to the PAF&BC and WCO Cummings for more stocking of trout in the lake.

The newspapers were there and pics and interviews were taken, so look for the stories in our local papers.

Showing the county council we care is all about them responding towards the park and trails in the future. County Council member Mr. Haas and Rec board chairperson Mr Russo asked if the mt bikers would be interested to join them for the another workday in the future, with many ideas being shared.

wounded knee
    Lee, do you know what newspapers were there, I didn't see anything in the local ones?
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

A great article in the Suburban News today all about the great work we did at Moon Lake Park! Pick up a copy at your local convenient store to see all the pics and story:

www.suburbannewz.com

Gotta check Times Leader too

I'll post "my" pics in the next thread...

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

Here's my pics of a very successful day!

Including clean up i the park and bit on the trails, trout stocking, and of course a mt bike ride!

Everyday is Christmas at Moon Lake!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Luzerne county clean up day Moon Lake/Seven Tubs parks 4/27/13-dscf5692_1000x1000.jpg  

Luzerne county clean up day Moon Lake/Seven Tubs parks 4/27/13-dscf5693_1000x1000.jpg  

Luzerne county clean up day Moon Lake/Seven Tubs parks 4/27/13-dscf5694_1000x1000.jpg  

Luzerne county clean up day Moon Lake/Seven Tubs parks 4/27/13-dscf5695_1000x1000.jpg  

Luzerne county clean up day Moon Lake/Seven Tubs parks 4/27/13-dscf5696_1000x1000.jpg  

Luzerne county clean up day Moon Lake/Seven Tubs parks 4/27/13-dscf5697_1000x1000.jpg  

Luzerne county clean up day Moon Lake/Seven Tubs parks 4/27/13-dscf5698_1000x1000.jpg  

Luzerne county clean up day Moon Lake/Seven Tubs parks 4/27/13-dscf5699_1000x1000.jpg  

Luzerne county clean up day Moon Lake/Seven Tubs parks 4/27/13-dscf5700_1000x1000.jpg  

Luzerne county clean up day Moon Lake/Seven Tubs parks 4/27/13-dscf5701_1000x1000.jpg  

Last edited by NEPMTBA; 05-01-2013 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Oh that Fork!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

a great day...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Luzerne county clean up day Moon Lake/Seven Tubs parks 4/27/13-dscf5702_1000x1000.jpg  

Luzerne county clean up day Moon Lake/Seven Tubs parks 4/27/13-dscf5703_1000x1000.jpg  

Luzerne county clean up day Moon Lake/Seven Tubs parks 4/27/13-dscf5704_1000x1000.jpg  

Luzerne county clean up day Moon Lake/Seven Tubs parks 4/27/13-dscf5705_1000x1000.jpg  

Luzerne county clean up day Moon Lake/Seven Tubs parks 4/27/13-dscf5706_1000x1000.jpg  

Luzerne county clean up day Moon Lake/Seven Tubs parks 4/27/13-dscf5707_1000x1000.jpg  

Luzerne county clean up day Moon Lake/Seven Tubs parks 4/27/13-dscf5708_1000x1000.jpg  

Luzerne county clean up day Moon Lake/Seven Tubs parks 4/27/13-dscf5710_1000x1000.jpg  

Luzerne county clean up day Moon Lake/Seven Tubs parks 4/27/13-dscf5709_1000x1000.jpg  

Luzerne county clean up day Moon Lake/Seven Tubs parks 4/27/13-dscf5711_1000x1000.jpg  

Last edited by NEPMTBA; 05-01-2013 at 10:40 AM.