mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Looking for trails in Lancaster/Harrisburg area

Hey guys. As I said in. My other post, I'm pretty new to this area. I've found some decent trails around here so far. I've rode Lancaster county park many times and mt penn once. I've also heard about the trails at my gretna and am planning to check those out soon. What are some other good trails in the area? I prefer single track trails, with some nice twisties/jumps/rocks (sorry if I'm using the wrong terminology). And I really like it when the trails has a nice flow to it. But I'm open to any suggestions.

smartass
    Good maps of Gretna and Camp Mack on SAMBA: Susquehanna Area Mountain Bike Association - SAMBA

Rocky Ridge County Park in York County is nice also.

A little father drive, but worth it: French Creek State Park (Berks/Chester Co), Marsh Creek State Park (Chester Co.), White Clay/Middle Run, (Newark, DE), Rattling Creek (Lykens, PA, map also on SAMBA - Weiser State Forest)).

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Thanks!! Ill add those to the "to do" list.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Rocky Ridge is THE BOMB!! I love Technical trails.

But the 2 MUST DO Trails in this area are:

the WISS in Philly --you have to do that trail (Technical flow, The MONSTER, etc here.) Ride across the street of Lincoln Drive (a small flow section)--then there is Belmont (ride 2-3 miles away)---completely twisty/turney, not technical!!

You got the Best sandwich in America (tony Dinics)--NOT a cheesesteak.. And Philly is THE BOMB!!!
    here is something I saw on the WISS flow:

Wissahickon Mountain Biking - YouTube

And for flow, Google Fair Hill (Elkton Md.)--down the street from Univ. of Delaware.
    100 miles of flow (but not technical at all really..) the trail reviews say 10 miles on MTBR (do a GOOGLE search on these)

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Thanks! I checked out mt gretna/ governor dick trails over the weekend. And rode some of the Harrisburg greenbelt today. My gretna didn't really do anything for me. I enjoyed Harrisburg but it was too got to do alot of exploring.

banned
    Apr 2009
    rode Trail 5 last week at Rocky Ridge, between 5 and 5B and probably 5a (because it is not marked) is some real tight single track that connects those trails. That was one of the best single track loops I have done (outside of Fair Hill---Crackhead Bob it is called there.)

But then at the end it goes down an incline (and you can get some speed at that spot)

--But Yeah, Rocky Ridge is the only trail I have been to where I did not get lost (with no map)--and it is like THE WISS in Philly (only 5 miles longer and with Twice as many rocks in some sections...)

Hardtail 29ers are Great there!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hey. So I started not long ago either and its been a lot of trial and error of finding which trails to ride and which way to ride it to have the most fun out of it. The place I've ridden the most has probably been Gretna because it is the closer and I haven't had a buddy to venture into Camp Mack with. There's a lot of hikers and other bikers going through Gretna so I ride solo there a lot. I've ridden Mt Penn about 5 times now too and so far it has been my favorite place. I'll post a drawing of Gretna and the way I have found it enjoyable to ride as of the moment.

Looking for trails in Lancaster/Harrisburg area-gretna-route.jpg

Parking:
    Park at the beginning of Old Route 72. Head up 72 being that you live in E-town. You will see old 72 on the left before the right turn to 322. On Google map it is called Mine road. On the right side of the road is Spring Hills, looks like some kind of community or something.

Directions:
    Head up the paved road from the gate to almost the end of the road before you hit another gate. Trail 5 will begin there on the left.

Ride 5 all the way through. It's not to technical or anything some nice flowy paths and some little jumps here and there after you pass the parking spot at the top show on the map. 5 actually goes pass some homes. So when the trail ends and it you see a couple houses just follow the dirt road up. You will see the trail pick back up again when you pass a yellow gate. I want to say like 1/4 mile from where the trail ends to where the trail picks up.

Ride 5 to 3 until you hit the fire road. Then turn left and go up the hill. I believe you're not allow to ride here up but it's pretty steep so I walk it up. You'll pick up on trail 2 again. Its weird. There's 2 signs for trail 2. Don't take the first one but take the second one, the first one is hikers only.

Trail 2 is all up hill to the top of the mountain. Not steep and very easy to climb. From 2 you can either hit trail 10 which is all fire road and downhill or take 11 which is the best trail I've ridden there so far. Single track into a little downhill section then meets up with 10 to bring you back to 5. Ride 5 back to the paved road and go home. The fastest I've done it was probably 45 mins? So not a long ride.

Trail 13 I went once but my skill level is not up too it yet,too many rocks. Trail 15 is way way way to advanced for me as well.

Yeah my description sucks, just follow the map and the arrows I drew lol.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

I rode this the other day. Parked where you said, rode 13 to 15. I enjoyed that little section of 13. 15 KILLED me. Omg. Forget that. Then went up 4 (killer as well) to 8, down 11 to five and back out the road. I enjoyed all the trails (minus 15 and 4). Would you be interested in meeting up an showin me your route sometime? I'm free weekdays after 4, usually not weekends but occasionally.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yeah I'll let you know. I might go there on Thursday. If I can get out of work and lift weights super fast I can get out there by probably 6 or so. Who needs dinner, we just need to ride! lol.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally Posted by I_AM View Post
    Yeah I'll let you know. I might go there on Thursday. If I can get out of work and lift weights super fast I can get out there by probably 6 or so. Who needs dinner, we just need to ride! lol.
    Heard that!! Let me know. If we're still ago Thursday I can pm you my number.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    My Mt. Penn partner bailed on me for tomorrow. We can ride Gretna tomorrow. I can probably get there by 6?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

I'm actually hitting up Lancaster county park tommorrow with my one co worker. Care to join? There's some nice trails there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

I want to ride mt penn again as well, but that's definitely a weekend trip for me. It's about an hour from my place to there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    There's trails in Lancaster County Park? haha. I'm good we can ride on Thursday at Gretna. Just hit me up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Yeah surprisingly. Quite a few miles. And some really nice single track stuff too. Not alot of technical stuff but some really flowy sections.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Lancaster County Park (Central Park) has about 1.5 miles of total LEGAL (AND FUN) trails to ride on. They are just all over the place (connected by fire roads and real street roads.)

They start from the Ranger Station area (behind the pool)--run all around the pool and across the Plantation. But very short sections (but nice and some have technical spots.) Then there is a longer section under the Covered Bridge area (on the front side)--the back side is off limits to bikers (but all bikers ride it!!)--nice Singletrack route for about 1/2 mile (and the POSTED NO BIKE trails up the hill from that for the Hickers is actually the best technical route there)--but you could fall off the hill at one point. Also up to the right from the Rangers Station is a CLOSED Trail (Oak Trail) for the past 2-3 years because the entire park was built on a Landfill (and they have battery acid run-off now)--you can see the 'orange drainage' coming down (and they mess up your tires)--but they do have HARAZD Chemical/no Riding-walking signs posted (But the rangers will tell you it is corrosion!?!?)---That might be true also (but I think it has more to do with the battery acid coming back up through the ground there...)

--There is also a long and flat grassy trail there around the river (but think the Scout Trail is off limits to bikers..)

--BUT THE BEST riding section is up the hill (on the legal side of the covered Bridge section-----there is the river under the covered bridge)---You can then cross the road at top of hill and ride through this camping section to the other (nicest trail section, and pretty technical--that runs to the Left of the road that the Plantation Street is located)--I DONT KNOW the Street names there, but very easy to Navigate.. Just ride all around and Explore there (But It IS NOT THE WISS in Philly, or Rocky Ridge where you have 15 miles of just Singletrack trail riding!!!)--So there are small, rideable Trail sections there, but that's it!!

--Nice park to come ride if local (Other than that I would stick to Rocky Ridge in York)----Because Camp Mac has copperheads (Ranger was bit 2 years ago there)--AND it is a Boy Scout Retreat so I HEAR A LOT of sections (and days are closed there)---ALSO you have to buy a $40 pass from Green Mountain Bikes in Ephrata just to ride there (but I am sure it is a good trail there..)

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Lancaster county park is where I've been riding for a while now. Me and my buddy are actually gonna go ride there today. Didnt know that about oak trail. Good to know. Lol. I really like that trail though, I think it'd be a good trail to the work. Also the one off of kinglet trail that's cuts off to the right into the garden area is one of my favorites.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pa9k View Post
    Lancaster county park is where I've been riding for a while now. Me and my buddy are actually gonna go ride there today. Didnt know that about oak trail. Good to know. Lol. I really like that trail though, I think it'd be a good trail to the work. Also the one off of kinglet trail that's cuts off to the right into the garden area is one of my favorites.
    The Rangers said 1-2 years ago it was supposed to reopen (Oak Trail)--but now say it Never will.. Also be careful, some homeless guy live back there--you might see his cart out there, and hear him start 'Rumbling' to you if you come to close.. it is at the bottom on Oak trail along the river.

and if you go on the (wrong side) of the Covered Bridge to ride be careful (even though they have leash laws--NO ONE there follows those rules)---and on that side they do not expect to see bikers (but if you are 'flying' on that side the dogs will attack--protecting their owners..

I had 1-2 dogs come out of the river the family was in to chase me!!

--But i have had 2 pit bulls chase me along the front road trails (so best believe I am ready for whatever!!)

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally Posted by I_AM View Post
    My Mt. Penn partner bailed on me for tomorrow. We can ride Gretna tomorrow. I can probably get there by 6?
    I'm really tired / sore from riding today, so I'm gonna use tommorrow as a recovery day. Hopefully no hard feelings. Ill take you up on that offer soon though if it still stands, probably next week.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

For those not familiar with York County, check out yamba.org for trail maps of Rocky Ridge and group ride schedules.

mtbr member
    Hey I didn't read through the thread but I usually ride at Camp Mac, (west side when i'm feeling it), Mt Gretna, Swatara, and Mt Penn Occasionally. But if anyone is looking for a mac guide i'm your guy!!