mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Looking for riders in Mont Co.

New to this site, and fairly new to the area. Seeing if there are any organized group rides. As of now, I am in no shape to ride expert trails, looking for nice afternoon singletrack trails. I have been to Green Lane, and liked it, so something on the lines of that type of trails..

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Quote Originally Posted by mainegti
    New to this site, and fairly new to the area. Seeing if there are any organized group rides. As of now, I am in no shape to ride expert trails, looking for nice afternoon singletrack trails. I have been to Green Lane, and liked it, so something on the lines of that type of trails..
    Welcome to the site, and the area. Green Lane is practically my back yard. I ride there frequently. Check out this thread, it was recently discussed here.
    Weekend ride pics

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by mainegti
    Where in Montgomery County are you? If you aren't too far north, check out Pennypack, and Wissahickon. Wissahickon is more challenging than Pennypack, but both have enough non-technical riding to allow you to improve your fitness & skill level without getting in over your head.

Permits are required for both parks. Thanks to Jersey Action Riders for hosting the .pdf application on their site.

If you do go to either park, please obey the rules and ride only on trails open to bikes. Mountain bike access has been threatened by hiking and equestrian groups numerous times in recent years, so tread lightly and be courteous to other trail users.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg
    Welcome to the site, and the area. Green Lane is practically my back yard. I ride there frequently. Check out this thread, it was recently discussed here.
    Weekend ride pics
    Thanks for the link. I plan on heading out there this weekend, hopefully see some people riding, last time I saw only one girl out there. I figured it would be a hot spot since there is not to many places. Any other close by places, I heard of some place in Perkasie??

Suburban Redneck
    Bringing this back from the dead. Any other opinions on Green Lane, or has anyone been there recently? Thinking about checking it out tomorrow, just wondering if anyone had any pointers, suggestions etc....................................

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Quote Originally Posted by boxman12
    Bringing this back from the dead. Any other opinions on Green Lane, or has anyone been there recently? Thinking about checking it out tomorrow, just wondering if anyone had any pointers, suggestions etc....................................
    Haven't been there since fall. Just recently been getting on the trainer to get ready for spring. If you went the other day, how was it?

Suburban Redneck
    Nah, went to Wiss since I'm way more familiar with it and the area. Just moved back to this area after 15 years or so. Just figured I'd go with ole reliable. One of these days I'll get up there, though.

mtbr member
    I'm in Perkasie. The trail out here isn't worth discussing and I wasn't too thrilled with Green Lane (but it was raining). Best thing locally is Ralph Stover Park. I'll post when I'm going but the weather doesn't look good.

Dirt Whore
    I jumped on the perkiomen trail today to get the legs moving, i went on the orange trail at green lane for a little bit, its soft in some spots but not too bad.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I thought I had read somewhere that Stover was being closed to mtb'ers. Forget when or where....................maybe it was all a dream. Where abouts is it, anywho?

BTW, I'm in Lansdale, so not too far from you, Gorth.
    Evildead for PRESIDENT!!

mtbr member
    Not sure what town. Near 611 though. Do a look in trailfinder. It's not the Wiss but it's nice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Come up to Lehigh with the VMB crew...great technical riding! Check out bikevmb.com for details on the club

Hoopy Frood

Ralph Stover State Park

Quote Originally Posted by evildead
    I thought I had read somewhere that Stover was being closed to mtb'ers. Forget when or where....................maybe it was all a dream. Where abouts is it, anywho?

It's here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Doyles...0.043782&hl=en

- khill
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson

Respect Your Trails

Stover

Last I heard, the closure is still up in the air. Nothing official yet. I guess the park always preferred that nobody rode there, but would just turn their head towards bikers and allow them to ride. But people have been building unecessary, shatty stunts and bridges there, a majority of which we've ripped down. Hopefully they won't ban riding because there are 2 great loops in that park.

Quote Originally Posted by evildead

Suburban Redneck
    Thanks for the info kHill and Dahoos. Will try to figure out a way to check it out.

On a side note, I'll be hitting Wiss again on Good Friday shortly after noon. Provided it isn't raining, that is. If anyone else is available and up for it, I'll be at the lot on the upper side on Bell's Mill Rd by 12:15. Or hit me up on my celly, yo! lol

Otherwise, have a safe and happy Easter.

Respect Your Trails
    I ride the Wiss almost every day, weather allowing. Couldn't make it today, but I'll keep an eye out for you. Always looking for someone to ride with.

Thanks for the info kHill and Dahoos. Will try to figure out a way to check it out.

On a side note, I'll be hitting Wiss again on Good Friday shortly after noon. Provided it isn't raining, that is. If anyone else is available and up for it, I'll be at the lot on the upper side on Bell's Mill Rd by 12:15. Or hit me up on my celly, yo! lol

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Hey boxman12, how were the conditions? If the trails are dry I may head down there tomorrow morning for my first ride of the year!

Suburban Redneck
    I wish I could get out HALF that often.
    Did just over two hours today. Trails were fairly dry. A few more soft spots than last week, but pretty good overall. I guess not as many people were off today as I had thought would be. Only came across three other mtb'ers. Pretty cool being up on the hills in complete solitude. Can do wonders for the mind.

Inbred Homebrewer

fyi

Guys,

I haven't heard anything more about closures (Joe? Any news?), but the initial alert said that trails in Ralph Stover SP were 'threatened'. If this is indeed the case, then it will (potentially, at least) have little impact on the riding in that area unless the Bucks County Parks Dept follows suit.

Much of the trail that is listed as 'High Rocks' or 'Ralph Stover' is, in fact, not in Ralph Stover SP. That's on Bucks County park property (i.e. Tohickon Valley Park, Doe Run (?) Campground, etc. Also, a lot of the trails on the opposite side of the creek are part of the
    Ockanickon Boy Scout Reserve. The remaining trails on the 'Ralph Stover' side of the creek have always been something less than rideable (except perhaps on a mod trials bike, or with considerable amounts of hike-a-bike). If those trails were to be designated as hiking-only? Although it may set an unsettling precedent, it would really be no great loss to the MTB community since most people ride only on the High Rocks side of the creek.

The area around the so-called "High Rocks scenic vista" including the parking lot on Tory Rd. is PA state property and, if closed to bikes, would leave a gap in the trail between the two sides of Tohickon Valley Park. (see map if this sounds confusing: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...tover_mini.pdf)

All of that said, TVP & High Rocks are in need of some serious maintenance and the trail is very soft right now. PLEASE give it some time to dry out, and tread lightly out there. It's been my 'local' ride for almost 15 years (even if I'm not-so-local anymore), and I'd hate to lose it now.

Quote Originally Posted by dahoos
    Last I heard, the closure is still up in the air. Nothing official yet. I guess the park always preferred that nobody rode there, but would just turn their head towards bikers and allow them to ride. But people have been building unecessary, shatty stunts and bridges there, a majority of which we've ripped down. Hopefully they won't ban riding because there are 2 great loops in that park.
    Last edited by Stick; 03-29-2005 at 08:37 AM.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson